PDA

View Full Version : Richard Thompson - Help!

Grez
03-09-2010, 13:39
We were chatting about Richard Thompson on "Spinning Today" and I mentioned that I'd not bought any of his albums since "Rumor and Sigh."

Now this is a bloke who is still a hero of mine and I always wanted to play guitar like him. He wrote what is one of my favourite songs of all time and has brought me hours of musical enjoyment. I was listening again to "Full House" by Fairport Convention last night and the guitar playing and songwriting on show are superb.

However, the albums "Amnesia" and "Rumor and Sigh" never did it for me, and so I didn't buy any more of his records after that.

So, what do people think about him, what do you think his best work is/was and why? I'll save my ratings till just a bit later.

:)

The Grand Wazoo
03-09-2010, 16:43
I think he's an incredible and inspiring guitar player and a great songwriter but his singing voice irritates me beyond description, so I find it very hard to enjoy a lot of his work.

..........but I do like this one:

2lCH5JgWCZY

'Red hair & black leather, my favourite colour scheme'

aquapiranha
05-09-2010, 12:09
I like Richard Thompson. I haven't got all of his stuff nut I have some he did with Linda, plus Mock Tudor and Sweet Warrior both of which are brilliant.

DanJennings
06-09-2010, 09:20
I've got quite a lot of his stuff, all the studio albums since the mid eighties, most of the richard and linda albums, and a plethora of live records and rarities collections.
Has anyone heard his 1000 Years Of Popular Music records? He's done 2 so far, and they're musically excellent, interesting and amusing in places.

It's easy to be a bit overwhelmed by how prolific he's been, I must admit my knowledge of Fairport is pretty poor... I've seen them a couple of times and have a couple of albums, and have heard a couple more... but I'd happily accept some fairport recommendations...
Of the early stuff I've only really heard unhalfbricking, liege and lief, and what we did on our holidays

Grez
06-09-2010, 17:49
I've got quite a lot of his stuff, all the studio albums since the mid eighties, most of the richard and linda albums, and a plethora of live records and rarities collections.
Has anyone heard his 1000 Years Of Popular Music records? He's done 2 so far, and they're musically excellent, interesting and amusing in places.

It's easy to be a bit overwhelmed by how prolific he's been, I must admit my knowledge of Fairport is pretty poor... I've seen them a couple of times and have a couple of albums, and have heard a couple more... but I'd happily accept some fairport recommendations...
Of the early stuff I've only really heard unhalfbricking, liege and lief, and what we did on our holidays

"Full House" is a great one, and there are a couple of great moments on "Fairport Convention" including a great reworking of Emmet Rhodes's "Time Will Show the Wiser."

"Nine" also has its moments of greatness, and "One More Chance" from "Rising for the Moon" is one of my favourite Fairport tracks.

Also, if you haven't got Thompson's "(guitar, vocal)" which was a compilation of rarities released in 1975 (I think), go out and buy it! :)

DanJennings
06-09-2010, 19:21
Cheers for the recommendations, will look into those.

Also, if you haven't got Thompson's "(guitar, vocal)" which was a compilation of rarities released in 1975 (I think), go out and buy it! :)

I have this one though ;)