PDA

View Full Version : WTD: bookshelf/monitor speakers

ahgee2
20-09-2022, 14:20
Looking for an inexpensive pair of passive bookshelf speakers/monitors for my daughter going to uni without much space in her room. Will probably end up being placed on her desk, so the smaller the better. Will be driven by a T-amp so 87dB+. Any suggestions? Either delivered or I could collect in the Cambridge area.

Sherwood
20-09-2022, 14:39
I know you are looking for passives but give these a look. I bought them for my pc and I am massively impressed by the sound. They are really small but have impressive wallop for their size.

BTW I use Magnepan 1.7 speakers in my main system so I know a good speaker when I hear one.

https://www.av.com/Speakers/Audioengine-A1-Wireless-Active-Speakers/4I95?origin=product-ads&gclid=CjwKCAjwyaWZBhBGEiwACslQo38vHNAZbug56X-JzR4U3ydFQ5DdEkUJvvYZ53AG6ZicCNp-svUkHxoCyFkQAvD_BwE

ahgee2
20-09-2022, 17:51
Thanks Geoff, just the sort of informed, helpful advice I was hoping to get here!

Pieoftheday
20-09-2022, 18:49
Looking for an inexpensive pair of passive bookshelf speakers/monitors for my daughter going to uni without much space in her room. Will probably end up being placed on her desk, so the smaller the better. Will be driven by a T-amp so 87dB+. Any suggestions? Either delivered or I could collect in the Cambridge area.
Dali spektor 1

Sherwood
20-09-2022, 18:51
Another advantage is that the Bluetooth option means they can be run from a phone or tablet. I have them connected via Bluetooth to my pc. Spotify sounds great.

mr sneff
21-09-2022, 17:59
I've got a pair of Kef Crestas going spare, or if you want really small, a pair of QED Arias...........

ahgee2
22-09-2022, 08:31
Thanks again to everyone for their suggestions and offers. I went for the Audioengine A1s and can second Geoff's opinion that these are seriously good speakers for the size and the price. Excellent service from av.com too.

Sherwood
22-09-2022, 10:48
Unbeatable for price I think, with 5 year warranty too. The fact that they do not require a cable connection makes placement very flexible. Basically anywhere in the room they are being used. They do benefit from being tilted upwards slightly if used on a desk so that they point to ear height. There is a stand available but at £33 quid I improvised a solution with a sorbothane ball cut in half and placed at the front of the speaker. The old squash ball cut in half would work too. Also worth using a good quality speaker cable to link the speakers.

Glad you are pleased with them.

Thanks again to everyone for their suggestions and offers. I went for the Audioengine A1s and can second Geoff's opinion that these are seriously good speakers for the size and the price. Excellent service from av.com too.

struth
22-09-2022, 11:21
Unbeatable for price I think, with 5 year warranty too. The fact that they do not require a cable connection makes placement very flexible. Basically anywhere in the room they are being used. They do benefit from being tilted upwards slightly if used on a desk so that they point to ear height. There is a stand available but at £33 quid I improvised a solution with a sorbothane ball cut in half and placed at the front of the speaker. The old squash ball cut in half would work too. Also worth using a good quality speaker cable to link the speakers.

Glad you are pleased with them.

look excellent. ive looked at them before..

Sherwood
22-09-2022, 11:32
I use them in my home office. They fit perfectly under the screen of my 32" 4K monitor. Although only 2ft apart the stereo image they produce is excellent. Transients are excellent making for an energetic lively sound. Although deep bass is absent, the texture and timbre of the lower registers is well reproduced. They do have a subwoofer out connection but that would be over the top in my small home office.

They are occasionally discounted so worth keeping an eye out this coming Black Friday

look excellent. ive looked at them before..