PDA

View Full Version : Anyone on this forum with a decent transport to sell? Good. I'm interested!

Neil McCauley
27-06-2008, 18:50
Right then. I’ve done it. I'm now an official Benchmark retailer. Apparently, or so it seems, the only one in London. I'm starting with the DAC1 Pre. Ken ‘your mate in the trade’ Kessler gave it a blinding review in Hi-Fi News. Ordinarily I’d not pay full attention to a review. However I’ve know Ken Kessler and Christopher Breunig for years – and they both know a good sound when they hear one.

http://www.benchmarkmedia.com/dac1pre/

Anyway …

I'm selling off my 2-box North Star (RRP £3,015) with the i2S interconnect for £1300 inc VAT. http://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/model192_e.html

"Did the Model 3 impress you? Did the Model 3 + Model 4 fascinate you? Well, this Model 192 will make you fall in love with digital audio without mortgaging your house again. Into its price range and even slightly above, this unit is a real masterpiece. As remarked above, listen to it for a couple of hours and you'll understand."

Which brings me to this.

I want to buy a used transport, preferably from a member of this forum. I'm open to suggestions. I'm not looking for suggestion for new ones though.

Money is waiting. Budget is almost unlimited. No Levinson’s though please. Just too many sticking draws for my liking. Any of you out there with a working Meridian {not 602 please), Accuphase, TEAC, Technics, Tascam or other allegedly state-of-the-art transports? Do please email me or phone on 0208 447 8485. Thanks. Incidentally, suggestions such as 'You should have bought NAIM son' will be ignored.

Off now to the famous (relatively) blues and curry night at The Waiting Rooms in Palmers Green. A freshly cooked multi-dish curry (with nan) plus a good ‘n tight electric blues band – all for £6.95. Beat that!

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ie=UTF-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&q=the+waiting+rooms&near=London,+Middlesex+N13&fb=1&view=text&latlng=3328966678614688940

---//---

tfarney
27-06-2008, 19:40
The DAC1 get's high marks over here to the left of the pond, Howard. It is a professional tool first, however, and of the brutal, transparent variety of DACs that those who like a dash of analog-like warmth, even in their source, often think of as bright. I wish they made a down and dirty version - no pre, no headphone amp, no USB, just digital in/analog out. They could probably cut the price by half.

Tim

NRG
28-06-2008, 11:56
Money is waiting. Budget is almost unlimited.

Well if you bung Marco a couple of million he may sell his Sony! :lolsign:

Filterlab
28-06-2008, 12:42
The Benchmark DAC1 is indeed a very good unit and gets lots of praise. I auditioned one when I moved to a Mac based source, very clean, capable and lively. :)

Mike
28-06-2008, 12:42
Bung me a couple of million and I'LL sell anyone Marco's Sony!!! :mad:

:lolsign:

Filterlab
28-06-2008, 12:54
We'll go halves Mike and I'll bring a baseball bat. :lol:

Mike
28-06-2008, 13:31
Deal! :eyebrows:

The Grand Wazoo
28-06-2008, 22:30
Hi Howard
I seem to remember you rather liking the Accuphase DP67 as a transport. Can't remember what the DAC was though - perhaps the Nagra? Have you reconsidered this as a solution a couple of years down the line?

I got mine second hand and mint - truly mint, not what some people try to pass off as such - and have never looked back since. I'd never pay the price the importer expects in a million years though!

I don't use an external DAC but then CD is somewhat secondary to me as a source - that may be something I'll do in a while.
Just a thought............

John
29-06-2008, 15:52
be interested in your view between the benchmark and ps audio digtal link

Sand Dancin Donkey Walker
01-07-2008, 09:15
Howard
Search out a CEC TL1x transport and you will not regret it at all :)

Andy - SDDW

sastusbulbas
06-07-2008, 21:59
Not quite of any help to finding a transport, but does anyone have any magazines with reviews of the Theta Data III transport?

ANd I am not recommending that as an option, just that this post reminded me I would like to get hold of any magazines with articles regarding the Data III, oh and the EAD Theatervision P.

I could do with something to read while I listen to hiss on the head phones LOL.

nat8808
11-08-2008, 18:57
A mint Meridian 200? Only because I have one here doing nothing - if you're still looking for a transport of course - not sure that fits the 'money no object' description though..

How come not a 602? That's what I'm using and stick to it because I believe it's supposed to be good and I like the design, the remote especially, but am I missing out by not moving on?

nat8808
11-08-2008, 18:58
I've 30 years of hifi news here in piles - I'll look out for the Theta Data review for you..