PDA

View Full Version : WTD - After Market Technics Bearing.

Wayne C
16-08-2022, 19:19
Anyone selling any of the following bearings used please?, wishing to try a bearing other than the stock bearing.
Ideally a Mike New Bearing in the first instance but would consider others such as an IanMac Bearing please
Pm me if you have one good price paid.

mikeyb
17-08-2022, 16:33
@Ianmac

he did say to me he wasn't making any more of his ianmac upgraded techie bearings as the cost of the oem ones was making it pointless upgrading them to sell, however it might be worth asking him.

You never know.

Hopefully he'll see he's been tagged.

But I'll let you into a little secret....

I've been down the upgraded 1210 route with Paul Hynes psu, regulators, Mike New bearing and Mike New platter and isonoe feet, different arm etc etc

After doing all that, I sold it off, bought an SP10 MKII, put it in a Panzerholz plinth, kept half the selling price and ended up with a better turntable [emoji6]

Wayne C
17-08-2022, 16:46
I’ve got a few of the upgrades on mine apart from the bearing, my bearing inside this is a new old stock technics bearing. I don’t know if the Mike New bearing is a significant upgrade ( Like a wow moment ). But I’d like to try one.

Wakefield Turntables
17-08-2022, 18:31
It might be a very rare thing to find a MN bearing, most are directed bonded onto the chasis. Removing them means destroying half the 1210.

Wayne C
17-08-2022, 18:42
It might be a very rare thing to find a MN bearing, most are directed bonded onto the chasis. Removing them means destroying half the 1210.

Why do they bond them to the chassis?, thought they were held in by the three screws. Seems a bit of an excess to do that. Have been offered one but the price is full retail which I feel is quite a lot for a used item at the current financial climate. Willing to pay but can’t afford the full price.

mikeyb
17-08-2022, 19:35
Mine wasn't bonded, but you could also buy a Mike New baseplate to go under the bearing, I never managed to find one.

I just fitted it exactly the same v way as the original without bonding it.

Mikeandvan
17-08-2022, 21:02
Mate, I really wouldn't bother.

Wayne C
17-08-2022, 21:04
Mate, I really wouldn't bother.

Would be good to find out why you think it’s not worth pursing? Thanks for your insight

Mikeandvan
17-08-2022, 21:26
Because I tried it, absolutely no difference whatsoever, why would there be?

Wayne C
17-08-2022, 21:32
Because I tried it, absolutely no difference whatsoever, why would there be?

This is what I’m trying to find out although I did have a bearing made by an American company a few years back with grease in the well at the bottom and it definitely sounded better with it in think the company was called Applied Fidelity but it was a few years ago. Would like to try alternatives to the basic bearing again. If it didn’t improve matters none would be sold I guess.

Mikeandvan
17-08-2022, 22:01
This is what I’m trying to find out although I did have a bearing made by an American company a few years back with grease in the well at the bottom and it definitely sounded better with it in think the company was called Applied Fidelity but it was a few years ago. Would like to try alternatives to the basic bearing again. If it didn’t improve matters none would be sold I guess.

I bet it made no difference whatsoever, it's al in the mind, did you blind test it?

prestonchipfryer
18-08-2022, 08:53
I have a 1200 with a Mike New bearing/platter. The bearing definitely does make a difference but is largely dependent on the quality of arm/cartridge also being used to hear the improvements that can be made.

Not great but definitely there with improved focus and bass definition.

Have a read through the Techpedia section of the forum for lots of useful upgrading regarding the Technics.

So many variables in this game and blindly stating that a bearing makes no difference is misleading.

Good luck.

CageyH
18-08-2022, 18:47
The Funk Firm bearing is available new for £350 and is pretty good.

Wakefield Turntables
18-08-2022, 18:57
The baseplate was designed to give the MN bearing a more rigid and secure mounting onto the bearing pool on the 1210's chasis. The three components of the baseplate/bearing/platter were all designed to work with each other and supposedly compliment each other in giving best performance. It's difficult to say of the baseplate made much difference as I did all the mods at the same time. I still own the deck and will never sell despite reports of SP10's being better, I'm happy with what I have. I've owned my deck for 12 years now and it's been faultless, and I have no idea how old the deck is, more than likely well over 20 years old.