PDA

View Full Version : Sony UBP-X800 BD discs play perfectly but DVD discs keep blacking out picture?

VinylDog
11-08-2022, 17:01
I am pulling my hair out with this and hope someone can offer some help.

I have a Sony UBP-X800 4K Blu-Ray player which I use for BD, DVD and audio CDs.

Audio CDs sound good and Blu-Ray discs play great without any errors but many (if not most) of the DVDs I play produce random 4-5 second picture blackouts - sometimes three or four times during a movie but sometimes far more and it is very irritating. When a blackout occurs, the sound continues.

I have tried swapping the HDMI cable, swapping the HDMI input to the monitor, cleaning the discs carefully but nothing seems to cure it - any suggestions...?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

VinylDog
12-08-2022, 22:21
Just a quick update - I found a recent software update for the Sony (May 2022) which I installed.

I then proceeded to watch a couple of DVD movies and the problem still exists - more than 30 blackouts on the first movie and around 15 on the second.

Gazjam
13-08-2022, 01:01
Player general failure or an HDMI "handshake" issue?
Your monitor itself?

Does the monitor have more than one HDMI input?

Do you have another bluray player to swap in temporarily swap in?
just to track down where fault lies.

VinylDog
13-08-2022, 06:55
Thanks for the suggestions.

The monitor is only 9 months old and Blu-Ray discs work perfectly which is complicating my thought process as there is far more data being handled with a Blu-Ray than a DVD so I would expect Blu-Ray to cause more problems than DVD.

The monitor has three HDMI inputs - I have tried them all. Unfortunately I don't have another Blu-Ray player to try.

struth
13-08-2022, 07:05
they use different lasers, so could be an issue there. the bluray uses a blue one and dvd a red one

Lawrence001
13-08-2022, 07:29
When you say monitor is it not a TV? What model is it?

Macca
13-08-2022, 07:45
they use different lasers, so could be an issue there. the bluray uses a blue one and dvd a red one

different decoder chips too. Not economical to repair if it's either that's gone bad.

struth
13-08-2022, 08:00
different decoder chips too. Not economical to repair if it's either that's gone bad.

yeah, must be... not saying its anything to do with it but it could be. 4k still uses same bluray laser by way

VinylDog
13-08-2022, 08:08
That's very useful information to know - thanks.

I think the Blu-Ray player is still under warranty so I'm going to contact the store next and get them to test it out.

Thanks again.

nuff
13-08-2022, 08:16
I had the same model and found out it is known for this issue.

Mine did this regularly to despite the software upgrade.
I upgraded mine to the MK2 which works perfectly.
If it is still under warranty I would return it and upgrade to the MK2 as I did.

VinylDog
13-08-2022, 08:46
Thanks for the tip - I was aware of the Mk2 version so that sounds like a plan...now where did I put the (extended) warranty...

nuff
13-08-2022, 09:05
Thanks for the tip - I was aware of the Mk2 version so that sounds like a plan...now where did I put the (extended) warranty...

:doh: