PDA

View Full Version : Longer ground pin?

Sansiiro
03-07-2022, 09:43
Hello!

I can not connect my power cord correctly to my Topping pre90 preamp, it does not fully enter.

I found that the ground pin is longer on the preamp power socket, than Line and Neutral pins. It keeps the plug from entering all the way, and too often the power connection is lost due to subtle movement.

Since the pin holes in my audioquest power cord are of equal length, I am about to sand that ground pin shorter.

Do you think this longer pin is a defect, or does it have some point, other than keeping my cord only half way in?

🙂
🔌🔌🔌

Blackdog
03-07-2022, 11:29
Ground on IEC connectors is usually 1/8" (3mm) longer than hot and neutral. That way ground makes connection first in the event of a fault.
Your audioquest has the connector that isn't correct.

Stratmangler
03-07-2022, 13:13
Do you have the same issue with the supplied IEC cable?

Lawrence001
03-07-2022, 19:07
This all sounds a bit odd but I've had cords that seem to sit a bit looser in than others (and drop down a bit) maybe it's a common issue?

Sansiiro
05-07-2022, 17:24
Hello.

I am unable to track that cord, since it is considered as a "throw-away-cord". But the info I received makes much sense, I also see longer ground pins on other gear, and I do remember that I had no such problem with the previous cord, so I take it, that this pin is very regular and will not sand it. So all this comes down to "no-issue" ������
One day I will get another cable.

struth
05-07-2022, 17:30
its probably the socket is shallower than it should be. ive had this before with 2 units; it was the socket that was at fault. think it was a chinese unit.

Beobloke
06-07-2022, 08:33
As Blackdog says, the ground pin of an IEC male connector is 3mm longer than the phase connections.

It sounds like the connector on the cable is at fault and intermittent mains connections can cause sparks and fires. I would stop using it immediately.

Barry
06-07-2022, 16:53
Agreed!

Either replace the IEC connector on the lead with a proper one (for example: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Heavy-Rewireable-Female-Inline-Socket/dp/B00X8F8M3G), or replace the entire lead.

As other have said, the ground pin is longer for good safety reasons.