PDA

View Full Version : Hello

isj1202
29-08-2010, 21:47
have been browsing the Beresford modding pages and thought that it would be rude not to join.

so here I am

Iain (Ayrshire Scotland):wave:

Spectral Morn
29-08-2010, 21:57
have been browsing the Beresford modding pages and thought that it would be rude not to join.

so here I am

Iain (Ayrshire Scotland):wave:

Welcome to AOS

Can you tell us a bit more about yourself, system and taste in music.

Regards D S D L

isj1202
30-08-2010, 20:47
I am a teacher and bought my first bit of Hi-Fi? in the late 80's. A Mission Cyrus 1 to drive some secondhand Celestion Celeste 4 from a Lenco L75.

The Cyrus was one of the worst sounding bits of kit I've heard. Bought a used Nait and Linn Index speakers (A friend still has them)

Bought an Elite Rock/RB300/ Stilton Audio MP11, when I sold it found out it had a faulty switch, which had affected the sound, regret selling it but don't regret buying an LP12/Ittok/K18

Went to audition Naim 92/90 and ended up with Linn Pretek/LK100 and Keilidhs

Added lots of secondhand bits over the last year and a bit.

Beresford 7520, V-Dac and DacMagic to play with computer audio,(V-Dac in main system from ITX pc, Beresford in office connected to Mac. PC and Linux boxes and DacMagic lent to a friend)

Kairn(Heard one when I bought the Pretek and loved it but the price was well beyond me at the time).

K18 to OC9 to Troika,(first MC was a jaw dropping improvement)

Mimik (just to match the rest of the stuff/ wife uses it, maybe slightly better than V-Dac)

Added a second LK100 and tunebox (Active gave much better bass and more everything else)

Keilidh tweeter upgraded to 015/3 (more detail and less harsh)

Have tried a few things for listening in the computer room
£30 Creek 3030 and £70 Diamond 9.1 (too much bass for the small room)
changed speakers to MA radius 90 (no bass but better detail) and finally another thing I wanted from my youth an Inca Tech Claymore. (Huge improvement and even drove the Keilidhs well)

Fancy a lingo as next thing to buy, and modding the Beresford (DAC chip first) and perhaps building an amp just for the hell of it.

Iain

Alex_UK
30-08-2010, 21:41
Hi Iain, and welcome. Looks like you've had a lot of fun playing with all that kit. Did you ever try the Beresford in your main system? Be interesting how it compared to the V-Dac/Mimik.

What sort of music do you like? (Can't resist the temptation to suggest Alice Cooper, even though you'll shortly be going back! :eyebrows:)

I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay, and if you're not really looking to start playing with stuff then I'd leave right now, 'cos we are definitely a bad influence on each other! Have fun!

Spectral Morn
30-08-2010, 22:31
Thanks for the info Iain

Regards D S D L

isj1202
31-08-2010, 20:36
The Beresford has a THS 4032 and the comparisons were done when the system was passive and no other mods to anything.

I bought the Beresford first and the opamp made a big improvement, the v-dac suited the system better with more bass and a sweeter treble (handy for the keilidh's mark 1 tweeter), the DacMagic was the last one bought and it was slightly disappointing as the high frequencies seemed to lose cohesion when the music got busy. The Mimik just seems to hold everything together (better but not by a lot and not by enough to beat the convenience of computer audio) and is a bit closer in character to the LP12 (which blows the DAC and CD into the weeds)

Lots of this I think is very system and room specific (square :14ft with 10 feet ceilings) in a very similar system my friend prefers the DacMagic to his 7510. I personally feel that they are just different not better or worse and that personal preference and system matching will decide which is better for any person.

Will need to do another comparison now it's an active system.

I would add that anyone of them in isolation is very good value for money, and at no time was I really in a rush to swap one out for the other.(even the DacMagic) The Beresford stays in the office as it has lots of inputs for the 3 computers.

Listen to lots of music from classical to folk to punk.
Constant favourites have been Richard Thompson, Elvis Costello, The The, Eurythmics, the Stranglers, Pink Floyd, R.E.M.