PDA

View Full Version : The Most Important Part of Your System Is Not What You Think It Is

WOStantonCS100
26-04-2022, 17:55
It is the plumbing in the ceiling above you!! :lol:

We learned that the hard way this weekend.

The living room and the main system is now offline until they rip out part of the ceiling, fix the pipes and do cleanup/restoration. I lost an SL-1200M3D and one of the DV-RA1000HD's. Maybe the most important part of a system is home owner's insurance. They will be cutting a check to replace both of those.

At any rate, the "Sky Room" upstairs now contains my new, very much paired down "main" system:

Adcom GCD-575
Audio Research SP17
Parasound A 23
EPI Model 100 Series 3

...and that's how it's going to be done for a while.

Life happens. Keep smiling. :)

Macca
27-04-2022, 15:42
Bad luck mate. Surely an SL1200 can survive a bit of flooding?

paulf-2007
28-04-2022, 20:44
That’s very sad to hear mate. Warm air heating here so not much in the way of water pipes in the ceiling and the bathroom is above the downstairs wc,

Pigmy Pony
29-04-2022, 05:27
Bad luck mate. Surely an SL1200 can survive a bit of flooding?

Yeah, if they can cope with open-air deejaying in British weather, at sweaty raves... When your insurance stumps up, stick the old one on Ebay, "excellent condition, custom finish" :)

Beobloke
29-04-2022, 12:05
As above - flooding won't kill a Technics. Hell, my mate cleans hi-fi equipment by dunking it into the bath!

Do you still have it? If you need a hand or would like me to take a look at it, drop me a line. It's too nice to give up on straightaway.

As an aside, the only time I've had a shower pump fail on me was in my old house when one of the outflow pipes split whilst I was in the shower. The upshot was that I turned the shower off but, as there was still a flow, the pump kept on pumping - all over the bathroom floor. In our current house, the shower pump is in the airing cupboard and is located directly above my Nakamichi turntable in the lounge - you wouldn't believe how paranoid i am about switching off the power to the pump whenever we're away for even one night!

Edit - ah, just noticed you're in the USA. Might not be worth the shipping hassle!

struth
29-04-2022, 12:19
just mke sure its all well dried electics wise. we used to wash everything with soap and water and soft brush, rinse and leave bits on a radiator to dry.

Barry
29-04-2022, 20:41
A hair dryer can also be used to good effect.

WOStantonCS100
30-04-2022, 05:24
It probably would have helped if it wasn't on at the time. :eek:

I let the insurance company know it could most likely be repaired at a cost by a tech or maybe even myself; however, their policy is replacement only. They will not pay for a repair. So be it.

It is now doing the run at a million miles per hour thing. At last check, if it's not the IC needing replacement, it might be a few discrete components. That's on me now because they won't pony up the cash for that. I hope they realize how expensive a new 1200 is considering the 1200G is the actual predecessor of the 1200MK2 variants (which all had the same motor unit for 30+ years, no such thing as a scaled down 1200MK2...you had to buy a completely different model for that)...not the GR or the MK7. I am not lambasting those models at all but the fact remains that when Technics "brought back" the 1200MK2's it was in the form of the GAE/G and the GR and MK7 do no have the same configuration as the GAE/G.

I have no idea what they are going to due about the DV-RA1000HD. That's out of production. Period. It appears the follow-up (DA-3000) has been discontinued as well.

struth
30-04-2022, 07:22
If it was on, then all bets are off.

philv
04-05-2022, 21:49
Sometimes the insurance company will let you have the damaged item back.
I had a 1300 quid laptop, claimed for it getting damaged and not working.
Asked for it back for the hard drive.
A tech got it working again for 60 quid.

I saw on youtube a guy cleaning a 70S marantz receiver.
He used a karcher or similar to jet wash it, and then put it n the oven.
Powered on and played afterwards.