PDA

View Full Version : WANTED; mid range/bass driver for Castle Avon or Eden speaker

MisterMoseley
15-04-2022, 08:25
Following on from my recent thread in “Blank Canvas”, I thought there’d be no harm in putting up a wanted ad because of the forums of which I’m a member, this is probably the most likely one where someone may have what I’m looking for.
What that is is a working mid range/bass driver from a late 1990s Castle Avon speaker, to replace mine which has blown. The driver is a carbon fibre cone construction and measures 170mm. Apart from the Avon, the only other Castle speaker I can see used the same driver were the large stand mount Edens.
Thanks

MisterMoseley
18-04-2022, 19:19
Still looking - more in hope than expectation!

CageyH
19-04-2022, 05:33
Have you tried Wilmslow Audio or Falcon Acoustics?

CageyH
19-04-2022, 05:37
Si slow have this information.

Avon :- Mid/bass - use Monacor SPH-165CP

And they appear to have stock.

MisterMoseley
19-04-2022, 06:47
Have you tried Wilmslow Audio or Falcon Acoustics?
Thanks.
Yes, I’ve already been in touch with both.
Falcon - no.
Wilmslow - yes - the Monacors which you mention. These are ‘drop in’ replacements, although they leave a very small gap between the edge of the speaker chassis and the recess in the cabinet. Nothing too serious, though, and with the grilles on - not visible.
The problem, though, is that they’re £120 per driver which means £240 for both.
It’s simply not worth it for me. Avons - even in mint condition - don’t seem to be making anywhere near £200 at auction and because mine are of no sentimental value and only destined for a secondary system, I’d be better off removing the tweeters and crossovers and selling them on. What I’d then do with the cabinets - I have no idea.
Had these been my main speakers and I loved the sound, etc, etc, then I’d spend the money in an instant.
Thanks.

MisterMoseley
02-05-2022, 07:58
A final bump in the forlorn hope that some kind, fellow AOS member, is sitting on a spare driver from a Castle Avon or Eden and missed this plea for help first time round.
Thanks