PDA

View Full Version : Denon DL-103R SUT recommendations

F575M
28-02-2022, 14:53
Hello Chaps,

I would like to hear from DL-103R owners that have successfully found the perfect SUT for this cartridge. I did read Marco's post from 2012 but ten years have passed and there must be something new.

Cheers,

worrasf
28-02-2022, 15:59
Hello Chaps,

I would like to hear from DL-103R owners that have successfully found the perfect SUT for this cartridge. I did read Marco's post from 2012 but ten years have passed and there must be something new.

Cheers,

Of all the many and various SUT's I have personally tried with my ParadoxPulse 103R the Denon AU-S1 was by far the best. Having said that in my system it was bettered by a Tom Evans Microgroove + and latterly by a Firebottle Vivant phonostage.

YMMV

Barry
28-02-2022, 17:39
The Denon AU320 is an obvious choice, and I am sure there are several suitable offering from Audio Technika, Ortofon and Fidelity Research.

Lundahl make some good transformers, but these are circuit components - you would have to fit them into a housing complete with input and output connectors. I would recommend the LL1931 and wire it to provide a step-up ratio of x16, which with the Denon 103R, will give an output of about 4mV. Assuming the input impedance of your preamp is 47k, the 103R will be presented with a load of 184 Ohms. If you find this a little too high, you can reduce it by wiring resistors across the secondary winding (For example: wiring a 150K resistor in parallel with secondary winding, will reduce the impedance as seen by the cartridge to 140 Ohm.)

If you want an extremely versatile and very good quality SUT, then I would recommend the Miyjima ETRS Stereo transformer. https://www.miyajima-lab.com/etr-stereo.html

https://www.miyajima-lab.com/img/ETR-STEREO/etrstereo01.jpg

With this SUT you have complete control of both the primary and secondary transformer windings, as well as the input impedance and capacitance. However the settings required to achieve a desired specification are not obvious - it is not a 'plug and play' device. Also it is very expensive; at around £2,500.

Lee Henley
03-03-2022, 10:19
I tried quite a few SUT over the years with the 103 and in the end the one that seemed to work the best was the Denon AU320, the added bonus with this SUT is that you can put 2 tonearm cables into the back of it and select between the 2 arms should the need arise. Its also got a 3ohm switch which worked really well with an Audio technica MC cart and a pass through facility for when you want to use a MM cart.

They are quite rare second hand over here but seem to be available in the far east

https://www.ebay.com/p/1856965640

Lee

The Black Adder
03-03-2022, 13:02
I use a Lentek with my DL103C1... Very, very good indeed.

I've tried the Denon AU210 I think it's called... very nice but the Lentek is way better.

shahsy
12-03-2022, 09:05
Denon actually made a SUT specifically for the 103R cartridge called the AU-103.

PeteT
12-03-2022, 11:01
I happen to have a Denon AU-320 sitting unused that I'd be willing to move on for a reasonable price... Make me an offer if its of interest.?
Its not a big thing but helps Mrs T think I'm still clearing stuff out.! [emoji6]

(On the bay they go from £200-£300+ but are all in Japan or US so postage and import fees add up.)

Sent using Tapatalk

KAWASAKI ADDICT
22-03-2022, 10:12
Hi. I bought a ROTHWELL mc1for my 103r. Mine measures 0.31 and the rothwell is good for 0.3 minimum. Connected to my mm valve preamp, it's very good. I bought new because I didn't want something decades old shipped from Japan. £280. Recommended.

I.D.S.
23-03-2022, 17:01
Presently using a Firebottle OTP loaded 100ohms and very pleased with the results.

F575M
23-03-2022, 23:27
Well, I was not happy with the sound of my deck set up, sold my 3009, Denon DL-103D and Auditorium 23 SUT.

After a long discussion with Angus - Phonomac - I decided to go with the PM Mk6 tonearm and the AT33PTG/II cartridge. Per Angus recommendation I bought a Denon HA-500 head amp. Angus upgrades it with new caps and other things but I’ll have to send it to a chap in the States because shipping charges are prohibitive. For example, a 4x4, ½" plywood armboard that weighs less than 150 grams costs £45 plus UK import fees, ridiculous. Everything will come ready to dump the arm in the armboard hole and adjust the height. Angus will install the cartridge, adjust VTF, etc, etc. It will be a big improvement over my previous set up.

He rebuilt two arms for me years ago and we have very similar music tastes. So I trust him with complete confidence.

Cheers and thanks for the suggestions.

worrasf
05-05-2022, 20:39
Presently using a Firebottle OTP loaded 100ohms and very pleased with the results.I have a Paradoxpulse Guard R Denon DL-103R and Firebottle Vivant phono stage so quite similar to your setup. The 103R certainly sounds very good with 100 ohms loading— dynamic, fast and deep controlled bass but I thought it a tad bright and fatiguing after extended listening.
Terence at Pardox reckons the 103R is "better" with a 400 ohm loading (apparently the 103 is not so fussy). I knocked up a pair of 400 ohm loading plugs (actually 470 ohm as that's the nearest resistors I had to hand) and he is dead right. The bright treble has gone, mid range is smoother but bass is just as good. No longer fatiguing on extended listening. Really nice musical cartridge.
I'll put together a pair of true 400 ohm plugs as soon as the resistors arrive from Mouser.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

F575M
05-05-2022, 21:20
The Denon 103R and the SME 3009 were a poor match together. I sold them both and purchased a Phonomac AT-1010 with an AT33PTG/II. I'll use a Denon HA-500 head amp upgraded by Phonomac also.

Cheers,

I.D.S.
06-06-2022, 10:42
I have a Paradoxpulse Guard R Denon DL-103R and Firebottle Vivant phono stage so quite similar to your setup. The 103R certainly sounds very good with 100 ohms loading— dynamic, fast and deep controlled bass but I thought it a tad bright and fatiguing after extended listening.
Terence at Pardox reckons the 103R is "better" with a 400 ohm loading (apparently the 103 is not so fussy). I knocked up a pair of 400 ohm loading plugs (actually 470 ohm as that's the nearest resistors I had to hand) and he is dead right. The bright treble has gone, mid range is smoother but bass is just as good. No longer fatiguing on extended listening. Really nice musical cartridge.
I'll put together a pair of true 400 ohm plugs as soon as the resistors arrive from Mouser.

Interesting something to investigate further,i'll go shopping for some loading plugs.
Wife prefers the 103r on the Techie to the Hanaml on the Gyrodec:doh:

worrasf
06-06-2022, 12:14
Interesting something to investigate further,i'll go shopping for some loading plugs.
Wife prefers the 103r on the Techie to the Hanaml on the Gyrodec:doh:

400 ohm is the sweet spot in my setup. I can knock you up a pair for the price of a pint and post if you cant find any. Dale 400 ohm metal foil resistors and standard RCA phono plugs (nothing special).

Miller
12-06-2022, 22:31
Telefunken BV.42 transformer is producing the goods on a 103 SA though very hard to obtain.... Good luck...

Barry
13-06-2022, 18:44
I used to use Haufe T-7883s with my Denon 103.

Nowadays I would use the Miyajima Laboratory ETR-STEREO transformer.

viola
12-07-2022, 00:16
400 ohm is the sweet spot in my setup. I can knock you up a pair for the price of a pint and post if you cant find any. Dale 400 ohm metal foil resistors and standard RCA phono plugs (nothing special).

Just wondering about the wiring. Do you wire a 400 ohm resistor in the positive phono plug? Or a resistor in both the positive and negative plugs?

Barry
12-07-2022, 19:01
The resistors are wired across the inner and outer parts of the phono connector.

worrasf
13-07-2022, 20:05
Just wondering about the wiring. Do you wire a 400 ohm resistor in the positive phono plug? Or a resistor in both the positive and negative plugs?

As Barry said solder one end of the resistor to the live pin and the other end to the ground tag of each phono plug (+ and -)

viola
14-07-2022, 01:31
As Barry said solder one end of the resistor to the live pin and the other end to the ground tag of each phono plug (+ and -)

Thanks to you and to Barry for clarifying how to wire the resistor in the plug. I have heard of people doing the same thing with 400 pf capacitors when using some of the older mm cartridges, e.g. Shure, presumably to tame some of the brightness.

worrasf
14-07-2022, 08:08
Thanks to you and to Barry for clarifying how to wire the resistor in the plug. I have heard of people doing the same thing with 400 pf capacitors when using some of the older mm cartridges, e.g. Shure, presumably to tame some of the brightness.Just to clarify the resistors are soldered into the loading plugs not the signal plugs