PDA

View Full Version : Hello everyone

Moonshadow
23-08-2010, 12:28
I love this forum. There are so many good issues covered in a really helpful manner without much attitude creeping in. I tend to skulk in the background as I am not naturally very communicative if I can avoid it. It would be nice to meet some of you guys. Main faults : Tendency to collect speakers and not sort them or any other bits of kit out properly; too many ideas, never satisfied. Good points : Great wife (essential) who loves listening to music (with me) and puts up with most of my silliness; listen to music all the time; kids starting to appreciate quality of replay; middle son now playing bass. Located in Dorset on the west side of Poole Harbour (south coast in the UK).

List of main kit (what I am listening to at present):-

Linn LP12 with ARO, Troika, Armageddon (DIY)
Sony CDP 577es
Dynavector P75
Mogami 2549 interconnects
EAR 859
Missing Link Sling-Shot Dual Helix speaker cables
Hutter rack
Tannoy Lynx

Other stuff I want to listen to, have listened to and/or need to work on :-

Dynavector SSA504
EAR 802
Leak ST20 plus Point One Stereo preamp
Beard BB100 mk2
Altec 9815-8a and 9872
Wharfedale SFB3
Tannoy HPD 385 (no cones)
Tannoy Puma
Tannoy Eaton
Sound Practices horn article cabinets for 10” Golds (GRF style - empty)
Lockwood Major cabinets (empty – just acquired)
Garrard 301//SME
Lots of other bits and pieces

My tastes include most genres of music with more vinyl than CD (Pink Floyd to Madame Butterfly). I need to start sorting out a hard disc based system for the future.

I would like to know if there is a preference for pre or post alnico Tannoy drivers amongst the assembled multitude. So far I have no real basis for a decision (that I have listened to). Hearsay says alnico does the job best but some knowledgeable punters suggest later pepperpot drivers (like the 3169s in the Lynx) are more accurate and more in phase. Other sources have suggested to me that most of them are good and there is too much hype !

I hope you guys do get together to hear each others kit, anything in the South ?

Best regards
Jeff
--------------------------------------------------------------
Linn LP12 with ARO, Troika, Armageddon (DIY), Sony CDP 577es, Dynavector P75, Mogami 2549 interconnects, EAR 859, Missing Link Sling-Shot Dual Helix speaker cables, Hutter rack, Tannoy Lynx

Jonboy
23-08-2010, 12:39
Hi Jeff and welcome, you have a nice assortment of kit there, i live along the coast from you near Worthing, looks like you are going down a simular sort of route as i have in the past and want to in the future

Moonshadow
23-08-2010, 13:27
Thanks for the reply Jon, perhaps we can swap notes some time.

Best regards
Jeff
----------------------------------------------------
Linn LP12 with ARO, Troika, Armageddon (DIY), Sony CDP 577es, Dynavector P75, Mogami 2549 interconnects, EAR 859, Missing Link Sling-Shot Dual Helix speaker cables, Hutter rack, Tannoy Lynx

Beechwoods
23-08-2010, 20:07
Are you a Mike Oldfield fan by any chance, Jeff?!

Your username reminds me of the Mike Oldfield's classic... and by association, this slice of genius!

2M662XNAmcM

Welcome to AOS, glad you like it here!

Moonshadow
23-08-2010, 21:33
Hi Nick

Great clip and I have no problem with Mike Oldfield. It was a good single, I remember it well. However, the name I use comes from the old Cat Stevens single and a boat I once owned that bore the name.

Cheers
Jeff

---------------------------------------------------

Alex_UK
23-08-2010, 22:33
I wondered why I'd been humming that Mike Oldfield tune all day - didn't connect it to Cat Stevens, I must admit, but only have one of his albums and don't know his stuff that well. Saw your post earlier but didn't have the chance to post, just get a subliminal message! Welcome to AoS, Jeff, hope you have fun.

[shuffles off half mumbling, half humming] Caught in the middle of a hundred and five
The night was heavy but the air was alive
But she couldn't find how to push through
[Wakes up at 3am, still with that bloody tune going round and round and round and round...]

Barry
24-08-2010, 13:43
Welcome to AoS Jeff,

Some interesting gear you have collected there and a healthily wide range of music tastes.

There are a few Tannoy enthusiasts here and a notable Tannoy/Lockwood user (!) As are Garrard 301/401 and SME users.

Seeing your Wharfdale SFB3 and Leak Stereo 20 mentioned, reminded my of my very first experience of hi-fi. The father of a school chum used this equipment (he was a serious classical music record collector) and he used a pair of those speakers powered by the Leak ST20 amp. In those days his arm and turntable was somewhat prosaic compared to your 301/SME; it was a Garrard SP25 with a Shure M44E. It was my first taste of hi-fi and started me off on a forty year hobby.

Feel free to chip in as and when you wish; we're a very friendly lot here and are happy to talk about anything and everything. Ask all the questions you want. We have a broad and very knowledgable membership here - I'm sure someone will be able to help you.

Welcome again to AoS.

Regards

Moonshadow
24-08-2010, 19:40
Thanks Alex – I know what you mean, I was humming it all last evening too ! Nick has a lot to answer for.

Thanks Barry – both the 301 and the Leak need going over thoroughly before I find out their virtues. They have sat still for a couple of decades before coming into my ownership complete with the dust that accumulated over that period. Looking good now but the amp will be shipped off to my friendly engineer, Ian, before I fire it up. The SME/301 to be a project shortly. The Wharfedales as open baffles are beguiling but need more room than I can currently offer them. In a small listening area they don’t have the attack I am used to. But the lack could be any one of many other factors too so I will come back to them some other time for another go.

My early memories are very similar, listening to a system that belonged to a friend of my dad who had a 301/SME/Leak set up in the full console that was so popular in the sixties. It just bowled me over and as soon as I could afford it I went up the Edgeware Road to buy Lenco 69, Rogers Ravensbourne, Leak kit 2 speakers all in chassis form, my dad putting them in boxes (I was 14 at the time). The shame was I just missed valves and didn’t find out more until having gone the whole hog with active Naim/Linn Isobariks for a couple of decades etc. Still I am having lots of fun now and buying more music than ever before.

I look forward to joining in with AoS members but I never will be a great contributor in writing. However, I am always keen to listen to anything or get involved with anyone who needs a second opinion or just a helping hand (like moving speakers). Back to Mambo Sinuendo now ….