PDA

View Full Version : Klaatu barada nikto Gortnipper

gortnipper
22-08-2010, 05:45
When I was a kid I loved to watch old Sci Fi movies on Saturday afternoons or late at night on our old BW tube TV in the basement...and I took a hammering occasionally from class clowns because my last name starts with...oh, wrong thread...

Err...I post therefore I am...no... that's not it either...

My name is David and I am an Audiophool...I live in Auckland, NZ for the past 5 years, but grew up in Seattle.

System:
Garrard 301/DL-102 (awaiting the Jelco or other 12", but on hold for lack of funds)
Garrard 401/OL Silver mk2/Benz Micro S Low Wood
Jensen step up
EAR 834P (on loan from a friend for awhile)
Musical Fidelity A3/A3.24 DAC
Audiolab 8000T tuner
Cary SLP-98P
Sun Audio 2A3
Consonance J400 parallel SE 300B (going to sell this - any takers?)
GPA 604-8H-III in a JE Labs OB with a custom Selah Audio xo (doing a 10^3 MLTL - half done but on hold for lack of funds again!)

Some pics here (http://www.flickr.com/photos/gortnipper/) and there (http://www.theanalogdept.com/d_gortner.htm).

Music:
Just about everything but New Country and Christian rock.
35% Jazz. Love my old Blue notes and Verves.
30% Alternative rock/pop
20% Electronic type music - techno, house, drum and bass, ambient, etc.
10% Classical
5% Opera

:cool:

I love good beer. IPA, Guiness, real ales...just not a bad Eurotrash lager. ;)

:cool:

I love a good whiskey too, but there isn't an emoticon for that. :scratch:

ciao
-g

Alex_UK
22-08-2010, 09:22
Hi David, and welcome to AoS. As you know, I'm a big fan of your recessed plinth for your 401 - best looking 401 I've ever seen, and a credit to you. I reckon a recessed 301 would look good too... The rest of your system is very intriguing, too.

I've never seen anyone allocate percentages to their music habits (are you an accountant or statistician? ;)) but helps very much to give us a feeling for what you like.

Greene King brewery (IPA) is based in Suffolk a stone's throw from here - nice! :cool:

I like a nice whisky too - this'll have to do... :cheers:

Enjoy the forum and thanks for joining up.

gortnipper
22-08-2010, 10:14
Thanks again for the kind words about the plinth. I have some ideas about a plinth for the 301 - but more organic shapes, and not inlaid.

Not an accountant - I just did that when I was talking to guys about SET amps as they always ask what one listens to.

John
22-08-2010, 10:26
Welcome to AOS
There are quite a few people here who like science fiction Me i tend to enjoy the more humour side Fredrick Brown Robert Sheckley Douglas Adams and Mel Gilden but thats just me
Lovelly system and another OB man I love what a good OB does

Marco
22-08-2010, 10:59
Hi David,

Please keep your proper first name in your signature so other members can address you by it - it's how we like things here... You can incorporate it in your signature how you want, if you wish the "~g~" to stay; I've just put it in brackets for now :)

Marco.

DSJR
22-08-2010, 11:13
Another David joins the happy madhouse :lol:

The film featuring Gort (can't be bothered to type the title) is one of my favourite all-time films :)

Hope you feel at home here.

gortnipper
22-08-2010, 11:29
Yeah, we are all over the place like bad smells, arent we?

rahman
22-08-2010, 11:30
Gday David

Love that 401 plinth, mate - best in show for me!

Cheers
Adrian (an aussie in Dublin wondering whatever happened to the sunshine..)

Jonboy
22-08-2010, 12:04
Hello David and welcome, i enjoy a tipple myself of the old gold watch, nice kit you have there

aquapiranha
22-08-2010, 12:34
Hi David. I am correct in assuming the GPA driver is an Altec clone? Looks similar. I wonder have you compared them to the Tannoy DC equivalents?

DSJR
22-08-2010, 14:18
Another huge thumbs up for the modified 401 plinth. Suits the 60's styling so well IMO.

gortnipper
23-08-2010, 04:14
Gday David

Love that 401 plinth, mate - best in show for me!

Cheers
Adrian (an aussie in Dublin wondering whatever happened to the sunshine..)

Dude - the sunshine aint in Auckland this time of year! But, we just got back from a week in Brisbane doing the parks with the kids. Very nice n sunny there!

Hi David. I am correct in assuming the GPA driver is an Altec clone? Looks similar. I wonder have you compared them to the Tannoy DC equivalents?

The GPA driver IS an Altec - but a current model one!

Bill (owner of Great Plains Audio) used to work for Altec, and when the Oklahoma plant was closed by EVI/Telex (so that the "new" Altec could focus on consumer products lilke Chinese made computer speakers), Bill bought the Altec 604 tooling, spares, and the rights to produce them. He works with former Altec employees and contractors, and the GPA 604-8H-III and 8H-III are direct descendants of the last Altec produced 604.

I have heard some 15" Golds in a very nicely done DIY GRF Pro cabinet, and 12" Golds in a Lancaster. The latter with some nice DIY amps a friend of mine does, and which I have heard through my GPAs as well.

The GPAs have better bass. Period. Not as woolly. And they sound very, very nice with a 45 SET being quite a bit more efficient.

The Tannoys have a certain allure. Very romantic in comparison. More like a 300B compared to a 2A3, I guess.

I spent a long time debating a 15" DC or 604, but at the end of the day I could get a brand new pair of GPAs for $1500 US with pretty much free shipping through work, or spend a whole, whole lot more for a pair of Golds or HPDs, of uncertain provenance.

No choice, really.

fotoburger
24-08-2010, 14:31
What the heck is this "plinth" thing I keep hearing about?:scratch:

For that matter, maybe this would be a good thing for the Library, namely a glossary for us "even lower than newbies.:dummy:" I know there are lots of terms I don't understand.:stupid:

Alex_UK
24-08-2010, 14:36
Howard - the "Plinth" of a turntable is basically the body - the bit that the motor unit and arm mount into - here is the bare plinth for David's 401.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3523/3989737786_17163be579.jpg

It is notable in that the motor unit (turntable itself) is recessed flush rather than standing proud, like most do with the 401. Does that make sense?

fotoburger
24-08-2010, 14:40
YES!! Thanx!

Does this mean I am no longer stupid?:no:

Alex_UK
24-08-2010, 15:01
YES!! Thanx!

Does this mean I am no longer stupid?:no:

I wouldn't go that far! :stupid:
;)

fotoburger
24-08-2010, 15:08
:stupid::drinking:
But when I get sober,:donk:

Barry
26-08-2010, 14:43
A belated welcome to AoS from me Dave.

Also I would like to add my appreciation of the georgeous plinth you have designed and built for the 401. It is probably the most beautiful design for the 401 I have ever seen. I just love the elegent proportions and the recessed lower portion in black. It was a good idea to make the plinth wide enough to take a 12" arm, should you decide to use one in the future.

Excellent work - well done!

I see you are a fan of 'The Day the Earth Stood Still'. No doubt you are aware of the Wiki-entry on your forum name: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klaatu_barada_nikto

Welcome again

Regards