PDA

View Full Version : Channel Imbalance Problem

Theadmans
28-12-2021, 17:00
I am principally a digital music fan - I got into CD in 1985 and have thousands of the silver discs.

But I got back into vinyl about 5 years ago...

...with a cheap Project Primary phono USB Turntable (£200).

The Project has an inbuilt phono stage and an Ortofon 5e cartridge. The turntable came already setup with the Ortofon cartridge.

Over the last few years I have enjoyed ripping a few hundred albums.

I have the turntable connected to my PC soundcard via a twin phono to 3.5 jack cable.

I use Goldwave software for the rips - which I save as 24-48 flac (and play through my Raspberry Pi streamers).

Recently I noticed that in Goldwave the left channel is a bit quieter than the right.

I first checked the cartridge alignment which looked OK.

I used a spirit level to check that the turntable was level.

I changed the twin phono cable to mini jack cable for a better quality QED item.

I replaced the Ortofon 5e cartridge for a brand new one...

...but still the channel imbalance persists?

BTW I haven't checked the tracking weight as I don't have a meter (but the tracking weight is preset at the factory).

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

CageyH
29-12-2021, 09:12
What level of imbalance do you have?
The 5e can have 2dB when new.

Theadmans
29-12-2021, 10:42
OK thanks I wasn't aware of that - the balance is out by just over 1db...

...so that would be normal then?

BTW I have been correcting this in Goldwave by selecting the left channel of the rip and boosting it's volume by 1db.

struth
29-12-2021, 10:57
wouldnt think you'd notice 1db tbh, but with carts, its not uncommon. difficult to get spot on levels

CageyH
29-12-2021, 10:58
If you have a 1dB imbalance, you are within the specification of the cartridge, so yes, it is normal.
A better cartridge may help, but will cost considerably more, and there is no guarantee it will be better.
Full specification of the OM 5e is below:

Output voltage at 1000 Hz, 5cm/sec. - 4 mV
Channel balance at 1 kHz - 2 dB
Channel separation at 1 kHz - 22 dB
Channel separation at 15 kHz - 15 dB
Frequency response - 20-20.000 Hz + 3 / -3
Tracking ability at 315Hz at recommended tracking force *) - 60 µm
Compliance, dynamic, lateral - 20 µm/mN
Stylus type - Elliptical
Stylus tip radius - r/R 8/18 µm
Tracking force range - 1.5-2.0 g (15-20 mN)
Tracking force, recommended - 1.75 g (17.5 mN)
Tracking angle - 20°
*) Typical value

Internal impedance, DC resistance - 750 Ohm
Internal inductance - 450 mH
Recommended load resistance - 47 kOhm
Recommended load capacitance - 200-500 pF
Cartridge colour, body/stylus - Black/Black
Cartridge weight incl. extra weight - 5 g
Cartridge weight excl. extra weight - 2.5 g
Replacement stylus unit - Stylus 5E

Theadmans
29-12-2021, 10:59
OK Thanks guys that is reassuring - I probably needed a new stylus anyway (things are sounding better with the new one in place).

Barry
29-12-2021, 11:08
According to the Ortofon specification for the 5E, the channel balance at 1kHz is 2dB.

https://www.ortofon.com/media/150506/om-5-series-userguide.pdf

If this imbalance figure is maintained across the whole of the audible spectrum (and at all output levels), then it will be noticeable, but if you are experiencing only a 1dB shift, then I wouldn't worry about it and simply correct for it as you have done.

walpurgis
29-12-2021, 11:14
Records don't have perfect channel balance.

Macca
29-12-2021, 11:19
OK Thanks guys that is reassuring - I probably needed a new stylus anyway (things are sounding better with the new one in place).

keep track of the hours you put on it and replace again when it reaches 500. Will maximise sound quality and reduce damage to your records.

If you hear a difference when you replace the stylus you already used the old one for too long.

Barry
29-12-2021, 11:48
Records don't have perfect channel balance.

And neither do your ears. Unless you sit listening with your head in a clamp, moving your head will create more of a change.

WOStantonCS100
08-01-2022, 17:17
One of my best sounding carts is out of balance by 2db when tested with the first track of my "The Ultimate Analogue test LP". I find it extremely annoying. I do listen quite often with cans where it becomes very obvious. If I use my master recorder as a headphone amp, I can correct this with the balance control. But, it does make me long for a phono pre with a balance pot; insanely useful tool for unrepentent perfectionists, lol. My pre amp does not have balance adjustment either. My SAE power amp had independent channel controls on the front so very easy to make adjustments. The Parasound has them on the back; also not convenient. Right at the source, on the phono pre would be perfect.