PDA

View Full Version : wanted: Maverick tube dac or something like it for livingroom system

Gramophonic
18-12-2021, 22:55
Hi guys,
I'm building a downstairs system and currently have
quad 33 and 303
Mordaunt-Short ms10s first generation speakers
and a cheap dac.
I have a Garrard 301 which a friend has just finished fixing up which will also be added to the system.
But i want a warmer sound than my current Ddac is giving me. I have one of the startingpoint systems dacs up stairs which I like but don't want to drag that around all the time and want something really good to keep down there.
My friend had one of the Mavericks which I thought was very good and I'd love something like that.
Anyone have anything like this for sale?
Rob

Lawrence001
19-12-2021, 00:42
I think the Maverick is the same as the Xiang Sheng DAC 01A and there are a few of them round here so you might get one.

Gramophonic
19-12-2021, 12:44
I think the Maverick is the same as the Xiang Sheng DAC 01A and there are a few of them round here so you might get one.

That is very interesting, thank you for that! Googled it and can't see where to buy one anywhere though! If anyone on here has one for sale that'd be great but thanks for the tip even if not!

struth
19-12-2021, 14:19
was a maverick dac on ebay i saw recently. not sure if its same as the xs01 or not tho. ive still got an xs myself and for money its hard to beat with a goot tube in the pre

Gramophonic
19-12-2021, 17:29
was a maverick dac on ebay i saw recently. not sure if its same as the xs01 or not tho. ive still got an xs myself and for money its hard to beat with a goot tube in the pre
Hi Grant,
Who makes the xs01? where might I find it? quick google shows some sort of lossless mediaplayer rather than a dac so must be on about different things!

struth
19-12-2021, 17:37
Xiang Sheng DAC 01A I meant. Doubt it'sold now, but lots were and lots of folk here had one so should be some available. There is an American valve(western electric i think) which lifts it's performance, although isn't cheap.
Put a wanted ad into private exhibition s and see.

Gramophonic
19-12-2021, 22:21
Xiang Sheng DAC 01A I meant. Doubt it'sold now, but lots were and lots of folk here had one so should be some available. There is an American valve(western electric i think) which lifts it's performance, although isn't cheap.
Put a wanted ad into private exhibition s and see.

Cheers Grant, that is the next thing to do by the look of it!
Got to say, the DAC I'm using at the moment down there, a really cheap Lindy unit with an amazing array of ins and outs, does sound alright, treble is a bit hard but the mids are nice, beats my hrt music streamer (ii) by a fair margin and that was a bit more expensive... Looking to get something a bit more analog though, the 33 and 303 deserve it, not to mention these speakers. I was able to listen to them next to a pair of tannoy mercury bookshelf speakers and some huge leak floorstanders and the poor little ms10s beat both, for me anyway...

Lawrence001
20-12-2021, 09:51
Not sure what your digital source is but if it's USB, the converter I'm selling has quite an analogue sound, it needs to take a USB in and then plug into the coax on another DAC. I've found the weakness with a lot of DACs is not the digital to analogue conversion but the USB to SPDIF conversion which mine can improve on.

Gramophonic
20-12-2021, 15:14
Not sure what your digital source is but if it's USB, the converter I'm selling has quite an analogue sound, it needs to take a USB in and then plug into the coax on another DAC. I've found the weakness with a lot of DACs is not the digital to analogue conversion but the USB to SPDIF conversion which mine can improve on.

I'd be very interested in that! Is it on this forum? can I have a link?

struth
20-12-2021, 15:19
might be this; not sure mate..

https://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?74284-FS-Breeze-Audio-CM6631-USB-to-SPDIF-convertor-%A340&p=1303855#post1303855

Gramophonic
20-12-2021, 15:39
might be this; not sure mate..

https://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?74284-FS-Breeze-Audio-CM6631-USB-to-SPDIF-convertor-%A340&p=1303855#post1303855

Thanks Grant, thread replied to! Rob :d

Gramophonic
20-12-2021, 15:53
thanks rant, thread replied to! :d Rob.