PDA

View Full Version : FS: NVS Super Sound Pipe (SSP) interconnects x3

HighFidelityGuy
19-08-2010, 09:18
I have three NVA SSP stereo interconnects for sale.
2x 1M lengths and 1x 30cm length.
Due to me recently changing my system layout all of them are the wrong lengths for my needs.

The two 1M cables both need their connectors re-soldering. SSP's are extremely stiff cables and this seems to put extra strain on the connector to cable joint. This has resulted in the cable breaking away from the connector. I should be able to repair this with the original connectors or I can fit the connectors of your choice. WBT Nextgens (http://www.wbtusa.com/pages/0110agsn.html) would probably be an excellent match for these cables and also provide a stronger joint, so I'd recommend that.

The 30cm cable costs £80 new (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NVA-30cm-set-SSP-Super-Sound-Pipe-I-C-/270545655539?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL), I'm looking for £50 inc free delivery.

The 1M cables cost £220 new (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NVA-1m-set-SSP-Super-Sound-Pipe-Interconnect-/220482005582?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL), I'm looking for £100 each in their current broken state or £130 with the original connectors re-soldered, inc free delivery. If you want me to fit the connectors of your choice then PM me with your requirements and I'll send you a quote.

These are excellent cables and I'm sad to let them go but I need the money to buy new longer cables. :cool:

HighFidelityGuy
19-08-2010, 13:41
30cm cable now sold.

HighFidelityGuy
03-09-2010, 13:43
Bump
1M cables still available.

HighFidelityGuy
04-10-2010, 10:59
Bump. I'm open to offers on the 1M cables in whatever state you want them. I really need the cash to fund new cables etc.

Annalogg
07-11-2010, 08:35
Hi Dave, I'm really looking for shorter SSP but may be interested in a 1m pair if you still have them. I can't work out how to PM you!
Nick

Marco
07-11-2010, 08:43
Hi Nick,

Welcome to AoS :)

Could you please pop into the welcome area and say hello, telling us where you come from and you system details and music tastes, as this is the required procedure for all new members joining our community.

Cheers! :cool:

Marco.

Beechwoods
07-11-2010, 09:05
Hi Dave, I'm really looking for shorter SSP but may be interested in a 1m pair if you still have them. I can't work out how to PM you!

Nick, Private Messaging isn't enabled immediately for new members... after a few posts the option is automatically activated shortly after. This is to stop abuse of the PM system / spamming... Hence you not seeing how you can PM at the moment. You should find after one or 2 more posts the option is enabled. Any issues please let me know :)

HighFidelityGuy
07-11-2010, 10:11
Nick

Hi Nick,

I would consider making shorter lengths out of the 1M lengths I have. Let me know what lengths you ideally need. Are there any particular connectors you would like fitting? If you're not sure I can recommend a couple of options at different price ranges . Once I know those details I can provide some prices for you to consider. :)

Annalogg
07-11-2010, 11:36
Dave - Splitting a 1m pair to make 2 50cm pairs would be ideal. I would be interested in your recommendations re connectors. Thanks

HighFidelityGuy
07-11-2010, 18:23
Hi Nick,

The cable has twin solid core silver plated conductors. So I think that the best type of connector would be the Eichmann Bullet or WBT Nextgen, preferably the silver version of either. I prefer Nextgens but that's the most expensive. Although the Eichmanns aren't cheap. The reason for this recommendation is because these connectors allow twin solid core wires to be soldered without bending either of the conductors. They just connect directly to the contacts in a straight line.

In the original connectors the return wire was bent round 90 degrees to connect to the shield of the RCA plug. There was also very little strain relief. So any movement of the cable caused the shield connection to bend slightly. Over time this caused metal fatigue and the wire broke away. The Bullet and Nextgen connectors would mostly prevent this from happening. Saying that, most good RCA plugs would prevent this to a degree. The original were just a bad match from a mechanical point of view in my opinion. Better strain relief is required.

Here are some options:

WBT Nextget 0102 Silver: £152
Eichman Bullet Silver: £91.50
WBT Nextgen 0102 Copper/Gold: £98
LOK Silver point: £67
WBT Midline: £61
Eichmann Bullet Copper: £50.50
LOK Rhodium: £45
Neutrik Profi: £26
Gold Snake: £15
Neutrik NYS373: £7

I tried to provide a wide choice of prices in designs I feel will suit the cable construction. If you think of any others let me know.

These prices are for 4 connectors only and the price it will cost me to buy them rounded to the nearest 50p. If you find any of them cheaper let me know, I just looked on my usual suppliers.

I said I would charge £130 per meter with the original connectors re-soldered back on. So I'll offer 50cm lengths for £65 each but you'll have to add the price of the new connectors on top of that. So for example one 50cm set with Silver Nextgens will cost £217, or with Neutrik Profi £91.

I will use high quality WBT silver solder and plenty of heatshrink to do a quality job. The cables need re-stripping and soldering. Due to the construction of the cables this will be quite tricky and time consuming.

Let me know if any of those suit you. :)

Annalogg
08-11-2010, 16:02
PM sent.

HighFidelityGuy
10-11-2010, 16:01
1x 1M length now sold.

Only 1x 1M length remaining. :)

HighFidelityGuy
17-11-2010, 14:40
I've had excellent success in turning one of my 1M stereo pairs into two pairs of 50cm cables fitted with Neutrik Profi connectors for Nick. The Profi's are an excellent match for the cable from a construction point of view.

If possible I would like to sell the remaining 1M pair as a 1M pair and I'm offering them with Neutrik Profi connectors fitted for £140 including Royal Mail Special Delivery.

Here's a photo showing one of the 50cm lengths I made to show the quality of the finish:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48/DTM2000/Hi-Fi/SSP_Profi.jpg

The cables are soldered with WBT high silver content solder and finished with heat shrink sleeving inside and outside the connectors to provide extra strength, strain relief and durability. The connectors are then cleaned with DeoxIT D5. The above image shows the left cable, the right will be finished with red outer sleeving to indicate polarity. :)

Annalogg
26-11-2010, 18:23
I can vouch for the quality of the terminated 50 cm SSPs HFG (Dave) produced for me. Not only do they sound superb but the quality of the plugs and the method and care by which they have been attached makes them far less fragile and more durable than the original 80cm NVA SSPs which I was already using.

Buy with total confidence.

HighFidelityGuy
29-11-2010, 14:39
Thanks Nick, much appreciated. I'm glad you're enjoying them. :cheers:

HighFidelityGuy
04-02-2011, 10:14
The final 1M pair is sold pending payment.