PDA

View Full Version : Wtd Balanced Interconnects

Sondekker
11-11-2021, 19:19
I would like to try using the balanced outputs of my Auralic Vega G2.1 into my preamp and so I am looking for a reasonable pair of shortish balanced interconnects (XLR to XLR). Ideally a pair of between 0.75 and 1m in length.

At this stage not looking for anything too exotic or expensive but I would like something reasonably decent.

What have you got lying around?

spook
11-11-2021, 19:37
I remember entourage upgraded mine so I have a spare pair of Mackintosh own brand XLR cables. They are very good. Transparent and clear. I think I paid £125 for them second hand. Yours for 80.
Steve.

klindar
11-11-2021, 20:27
I've got a spare pair of Audioquest Diamondback XLR cables (0.5m) but they may not be long enough for you.

Westendboy
11-11-2021, 21:56
I would like to try using the balanced outputs of my Auralic Vega G2.1 into my preamp and so I am looking for a reasonable pair of shortish balanced interconnects (XLR to XLR). Ideally a pair of between 0.75 and 1m in length.

At this stage not looking for anything too exotic or expensive but I would like something reasonably decent.

Do you want multi strand or solid core. If solid core have a look at DNM cables. You’ll also get answers to any questions you might have.

WullieD20
11-11-2021, 21:59
I've got:
1M Stereo pair Shark (Superior Definition) - Balanced . . cheap
1M stereo pair Chord Chorus Mk1 – Balanced . . . . . . . . . medium
1.5M Stereo pair – Audience AU24E - Balanced . . . . . . . .expensive

Take your pick.

Puffin
12-11-2021, 07:54
I've got:
1M Stereo pair Shark (Superior Definition) - Balanced . . cheap
1M stereo pair Chord Chorus Mk1 – Balanced . . . . . . . . . medium
1.5M Stereo pair – Audience AU24E - Balanced . . . . . . . .expensive

Take your pick.

I might be interested in the Shark and Chord cables depending on price and of course John (sondekker) having first choice.

Sondekker
12-11-2021, 21:39
Thanks for the responses received so far. I do not have any particular preference between multistrand or solid core although I do need a minimum length of at least 0.7m.

I have received a variety of both public and private responses across the three forums I regularly use and so it is my intention to review all of the offers and suggestions put forward probably on Sunday with a view to deciding which way to go.

Thanks again.

John

bungalowbill
13-11-2021, 08:27
Igloo Audio.
Silver Mogwai. Neutrik Connector.
1 MT.
£50.00. Inclusive Recorded Delivery.

ovlov854
13-11-2021, 10:11
This guy has an excellent reputation for quality cables at very reasonable prices
You could do a lot worse than these.......................
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222928135538?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Sondekker
14-11-2021, 21:22
Thanks for the various offers and suggestions. My needs are currently on hold having been offered the loan of a pair of expensive balanced IC's by the dealer I purchased the Vega G2.1 from in order to compare against my single ended pair.

Should I decide balanced is my preference then I may revisit the various offers and suggestions I've received across the various forums.

Thanks again.

Westendboy
14-11-2021, 22:39

I’ve seen many opinions on various forums saying that you’d only benefit by using balanced interconnects over unbalanced on long cable runs not for example on the length you require.YMMV

Sondekker
14-11-2021, 22:52
Yes I've seen those opinions too. However, it was upon discovering that Auralic's ORFEO Class A output modules only work via the balanced outputs that made me want to see if I could hear any audible difference between the single ended outputs I have been using....

Barry
15-11-2021, 11:28
I use short (0.5m) balanced-line cables between my CD player and the preamp and long (5m) balanced-line cables between the preamp and monoblock power amplifiers (located behind each speaker).

scotty67
19-11-2021, 18:48
Mark Grant XLR cables indistinguishable from other much more expensive cables I have tried.
I’m using an Auralic Aries G1.

Pieoftheday
19-11-2021, 19:51
I'm using van damme quadstar xlr, I dont give them any thought, which I reckon means its doing its job:)

Barry
19-11-2021, 23:23
I prefer to make my own cables and when it comes to balanced-line interconnects, I have found that any of the 'star quad' cables by Mogami or Gotham are very good, as are the 2-core cables from Van Damme and Klotz. One of my favourite cables is EMT 2111, which is no longer made but can still be obtained from Switzerland (via the US).

Also I favour cables that are flexible rather than stiff, so will use a microphone cable having a double lapped screen, rather than a braided screen. The best cable is that used by Neumann, followed by Mogami and Gotham. Sommer make some good cable, but I find it too stiff.

Sondekker
20-11-2021, 16:16
I am grateful for the continuing recommendations and suggestions which when I've completed my comparison of the balanced and single ended outputs of my Vega G2.1 will be helpful should I decide that balanced is my preference.

Thanks

John