PDA

View Full Version : Grim! Songs that make you die inside

Pigmy Pony
24-10-2021, 16:28
We are all music lovers, first and foremost, but I'm sure we all know songs which challenge our will to live. For me it's everything that Robbie Williams ever did, barely any better than fingernails on a blackboard :(

But I think his steaming pile is eclipsed by Rod Stewart's latest offering ("One more time" I think it's called). Which to me has no redeeming qualities whatsoever. He used to have one of the best voices in rock imo, but he left his talent behind in the 70s and just ploughed on.

Has anyone on here got a song that makes them rush to the volume control? I'm betting most of us have.

struth
24-10-2021, 16:31
90% of modern pop or rock:ner:

Beobloke
24-10-2021, 16:43
Anything by Adele, Ed Sheeran or The Streets.

Pigmy Pony
24-10-2021, 16:49
90% of modern pop or rock:ner:

Not a fan of autotuned voices then?

Every Christmas a friend of Anita's buys her the latest "Now..." CD, and these days the vocals on every other track sound like robots. Having to sit through it on Christmas Day is a real ordeal, even worse than parsnips :(

struth
24-10-2021, 16:52
Not a fan of autotuned voices then?

Every Christmas a friend of Anita's buys her the latest "Now..." CD, and these days the vocals on every other track sound like robots. Having to sit through it on Christmas Day is a real ordeal, even worse than parsnips :(

oh i like roasted parsnips :eyebrows: if done well..my son in law does a good parsnip

Pigmy Pony
24-10-2021, 17:00
Anything by Adele, Ed Sheeran or The Streets.

Totally agree about The Streets, or Landfill as I prefer to call him. As for Ed Sheeran, I don't get what all the fuss is about, he just seems to get all nostalgic about what he did when he was younger, and I've got underpants older than him for God's sake. But if he came on the work radio and I turned it down, my lad would sulk all day.

Adele: very handy if your missus' birthday is coming up and you're stuck for ideas.

struth
24-10-2021, 17:02
have to say both sheeran and adele deserve each other. both ghastly artists.

Beobloke
24-10-2021, 17:07
Adele: very handy if your missus' birthday is coming up and you're stuck for ideas.

You’re kidding aren’t you? Ursula would divorce me if I bought her an Adele CD!

walpurgis
24-10-2021, 17:31
I wouldn't know where to start, the list is too long.

Pigmy Pony
24-10-2021, 18:26
You’re kidding aren’t you? Ursula would divorce me if I bought her an Adele CD!

Lucky you! I suspect Ursula would be in the minority though. Mrs. P has her first 3 CDs, and no doubt the new one will be ordered by someone and arrive at some point - like taking Senokot and waiting for it to take effect :( She never plays them though, thankfully.

Pigmy Pony
24-10-2021, 18:31
Another that's just come to mind is Jesse J, her voice is the opposite of relaxing (maybe that is the intention). But it just makes me anxious and ready to run away, like being shouted at by a big woman with tattoos and a baseball bat.

Barry
24-10-2021, 18:45
Have to say both Sheeran and Adele deserve each other. both ghastly artists.

Agreed!!!!

Mind you I can't stand the sound of Tom Wait's voice , yet other's idolise him. Takes all sorts.

Firebottle
24-10-2021, 18:47
God where do I start?
Any 'modern' stuff that just keeps repeating (repeating,,repeating,,repeating) the same title or 3/4 words.
FFS write dome bloody lyrics you knobs.

prestonchipfryer
24-10-2021, 18:52
Agree on Robbie but anything by Rod is fine by me.

A pacific song that irritates and grates would be Bill Withers' Lovely Day, my God it's a pile of shite that one.

Anything wrapped us a ''rap'' is also a big no no as far as I'm concerned.

Barry
24-10-2021, 19:07
Strange old world isn't it? - I like Bill Withers. Anodyne it may be, but it doesn't grate on me.

Alex_UK
24-10-2021, 19:17
There are very few that truly grate, Robbie Williams would be up there though. I don’t know why I dislike him so much, but I just want to punch him every time I see or hear him.

Barry
24-10-2021, 19:37
Anybody who sings through a Vocoder or Voice Box. For example Peter Frampton. I can't stand the nasal sounding effect it produces. Unfortunately its use is currently very popular with young (to me) West African singers. :doh:

prestonchipfryer
24-10-2021, 20:10
Strange old world isn't it? - I like Bill Withers. Anodyne it may be, but it doesn't grate on me.

It's just that one particular song by him that really irritates me to a point.

hard1175
24-10-2021, 21:43
Totally agree

Macca
24-10-2021, 21:58
A pacific song that irritates and grates would be Bill Withers' Lovely Day, my God it's a pile of shite that one.

Glad I'm not the only one who hates that tune.

Another one I hate is 'Happy Song' by that Pharrell Williams bloke.

I will add that if anything at all by the Smiths or Beautiful South comes on then off it goes. Can't abide them. I know that's a bit out of date but I don't really know much of this modern stuff. I mean I hear it occasionally and it is mostly crap but I don't know the name of the song or who is singing it.

Can always listen to Rod Stewart sing anything. Except 'Sailing' but I give him a pass for that as he was one of the best at his prime.

Firebottle
25-10-2021, 06:59
I will add that if anything at all by the Smiths or Beautiful South comes on then off it goes. Can't abide them.

Same here for anything by Richard Hawley or Sophie Ellis Crapster.

prestonchipfryer
25-10-2021, 08:10
Well I've just turned the TV on to see what's happening in the big wide world, and fuck me rigid, Daniel O'Donnell's new album is being advertised. Aaaargh. :doh:

Marco
25-10-2021, 12:00
A big hit in every nursing home.

Marco.

Barry
25-10-2021, 12:10
Who is Daniel O'Donnell? Not that I really care.

Macca
25-10-2021, 12:12

I've no idea either.

walpurgis
25-10-2021, 12:15

He makes Val Doonican sound like heavy rock in comparison.

Lawrence001
25-10-2021, 19:52
Who is Daniel O'Donnell? Not that I really care.Didn't Mrs Merton or the tea lady from Father Ted like him?

Lawrence001
26-10-2021, 00:48
Didn't Mrs Merton or the tea lady from Father Ted like him?Actually l was wrong about the latter, that was Eoin McLovehttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211026/6c3fc23ea56450c91542948225ec9436.jpg

Pigmy Pony
26-10-2021, 05:51
Same here for anything by Richard Hawley or Sophie Ellis Crapster.

Robbie Williams once redeemed himself slightly by saying that Sophie Ellis Bexter had a face like a satellite dish.

Pigmy Pony
26-10-2021, 05:56
Well I've just turned the TV on to see what's happening in the big wide world, and fuck me rigid, Daniel O'Donnell's new album is being advertised. Aaaargh. :doh:

Well it is nearly Christmas.

Now that Cliff is doing nowt, what else is there to go with your new Christmas jumper? They'll be wheeling out Michael Bubble too pretty soon.

Pigmy Pony
26-10-2021, 05:59
A big hit in every nursing home.

Marco.

We know the staff don't get paid enough, that's just piling on the misery :(

prestonchipfryer
26-10-2021, 11:20
We know the staff don't get paid enough, that's just piling on the misery :(

More likely help them on their way, sing-along and sat down dancing.

Pigmy Pony
26-10-2021, 14:39
More likely help them on their way, sing-along and sat down dancing.

I've seen the sat down dancing, way too energetic for me. One foot in the rave!

Mikeandvan
25-11-2021, 21:39
Where to begin indeed, but another vote for Ed sheeran here, where his career will end who knows, may'be someone should introduce him to heroin?

Mikeandvan
25-11-2021, 21:50
Loads of shit pop from the 90s, Catatonia for a start, something else Wales can be proud of. Robbie Williams, that horrible drill music, some Grime is ok though. That latin flavoured rap music, fucking appalling. There's a current genre called 'Trap' funnily enough rhymes with crap.

Pigmy Pony
28-11-2021, 12:13
Never heard of 'Trap'. Is it anything like Von Trapp, because that to me is the sound of music :)

Mikeandvan
06-12-2021, 12:45
Never heard of 'Trap'. Is it anything like Von Trapp, because that to me is the sound of music :)

Not exactly. It's that sought of soft rap genre, its tempo changes a lot, slow, slow, slow, fast, etc, you'd probably recognise it if you heard it.