PDA

View Full Version : FS: Techie 1210, Denon 103 mod, Loricraft 'stage

jandl100
15-08-2010, 11:30
Yup, I'm selling up me vinyl rig. :mental: :)

Technics SL-1210 turntable with Herbie mat. - £245

Denon 103 re-bodied. Not that many hours - must have 90%+ of its life left. £125

Loricraft Missing Link phonostage - set for medium output MCs (Fine for Ortofon/Denon etc). £200

£525 the lot together.

Buyer collects (GL17) or we may be able to meet up.

Photos to come.

Oh, and a whole load of classical LPs ....

jandl100
15-08-2010, 11:33
Denon 103 - in a hefty aluminium shell by The Analogue Factory ...

A real high end bargain! - £125

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii114/jandl100/DenonTAF5.jpg

jandl100
15-08-2010, 11:38
The Technics SL-1210 with Herbie mat.

Note - this also comes with the Speedy Steve extra special heavy counterweight for the re-bodied Denon 103 as well as the standard Techie c/wt.

All in excellent condition and PWO.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii114/jandl100/Technics1210TAF103.jpg

John
15-08-2010, 11:39
ahh what you next TT Jerry

jandl100
15-08-2010, 11:43
The Loricraft Missing Link phonostage ....

This is an amazingly quiet as well as good sounding 'stage.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii114/jandl100/LoricraftMissingLinkphonostage.jpg

jandl100
15-08-2010, 11:44
Oh, and a pair of Partridge x6 step-up transformers for £50. :)

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii114/jandl100/Partridgexformers.jpg

jandl100
15-08-2010, 13:09
Technics SL-1210 turntable with Herbie mat. SOLD stp. :)

dgdgdgdgdg
15-08-2010, 13:29
Jerry - Loricraft please - Damian

jandl100
19-08-2010, 06:13
Techie 1210/Herbie mat and Loricraft 'stage now sold. :)

ahh what you next TT Jerry

Hi John

If it wasn't for the wife wanting to retain an LP playing capability for our small but select and slowly growing Gilbert & Sullivan LP collection I'd be ditching vinyl for good. I'm fed up with it!
As it is I am downgrading substantially. I'm planning to get a cheapo "DJ" deck :eyebrows: and am keeping the modded Denon 103 to play on it. There's a cheap but allegedly half decent new phonostage for sale on fleaBay, and I'll get one once the DJ deck is sorted.
I'm planning to keep a core of 'very special' (to me!) LPs and that may, I guess, grow slowly as I come across other stuff. Who knows, maybe that'll be the core of my next 'proper' LP system. I must admit, though, I am hoping that keeping some LPs will be a useful and constant reminder of how irritating the bloody things are and will stop yet another vinyl resurgence chez-Jerry.

For analog, it's 99% cassette only from now on as far as I'm concerned. :)
... picked up a dozen or so pre-recorded classical tapes just a couple of days back from the Oxfams in Hereford - lovely stuff and 49p each :) - not a click or a pop anywhere, and not a trace of abuse from other folks worn styli .... :lol:

Fekkin' LPs :rolleyes: ... mutter mutter ...

Marco
19-08-2010, 07:53
Hi Jerry,

How's it going? :)

If it wasn't for the wife wanting to retain an LP playing capability for our small but select and slowly growing Gilbert & Sullivan LP collection I'd be ditching vinyl for good. I'm fed up with it!

I'm planning to keep a core of 'very special' (to me!) LPs and that may, I guess, grow slowly as I come across other stuff. Who knows, maybe that'll be the core of my next 'proper' LP system. I must admit, though, I am hoping that keeping some LPs will be a useful and constant reminder of how irritating the bloody things are and will stop yet another vinyl resurgence chez-Jerry.

What is it you dislike now so much about vinyl? I'm curious....

Marco.

chris@panteg
19-08-2010, 10:23
Reading between the lines ' i think its obtaining 2nd hand vinyl ' thinking its in good nick ? only to find it severely groove damaged ,:doh: that happens a lot .

Iv'e had a few in my time , its bloody horrendous ! all because someone can't be arsed to replace that £10 needle :steam:.

jandl100
19-08-2010, 14:32
Reading between the lines ' i think its obtaining 2nd hand vinyl ' thinking its in good nick ? only to find it severely groove damaged ,:doh: that happens a lot .

Iv'e had a few in my time , its bloody horrendous ! all because someone can't be arsed to replace that £10 needle :steam:.

Yep - Chris is pretty much spot on there.

I can never quite relax with vinyl ... when's the next sizzle, pop or thump going to intrude? ..... ah, it seems OK ... sssscraunch ..... :doh: :steam:

It may be a superficial seeming thing - after all it's the music that matters, right? But it's important to me! It's not an intellectual thing, it's an emotional response and is beyond by ability to control. Especially when I have two media capable of excellent sound (CD and Cassette) which don't have these issues.

Alex_UK
19-08-2010, 14:49
Yep - Chris is pretty much spot on there.

I can never quite relax with vinyl ... when's the next sizzle, pop or thump going to intrude? ..... ah, it seems OK ... sssscraunch ..... :doh: :steam:

It may be a superficial seeming thing - after all it's the music that matters, right? But it's important to me! It's not an intellectual thing, it's an emotional response and is beyond by ability to control. Especially when I have two media capable of excellent sound (CD and Cassette) which don't have these issues.

Out of interest Jerry, have you got a Record Cleaning Machine? (And if you have, can I have it for £100? ;))

I suspect 95% of your issues with vinyl would be resolved with one...

jandl100
19-08-2010, 15:06
Werll ... I don't have a cleaning machine now but I used to own one, so I know their capabilities.

As Chris says, a main issue is groove damage done by twats who use worn styli - cleaning is only likely to make that worse!

Tbh - it's a huge mental relief to be getting rid of the damn things. The ones I am selling off are good (or refunds are available!) but I'm an avid music collector - and a reject rate of 2 out of 3 is simply too bloody irritating. Life's too short to be testing for crap LPs!

A principal issue, I suspect, is my taste in music. I'm 95%+ into classical ... lots of quiet bits usually, where LP issues are highlighted - not like your typical rock album. I think it's an important aspect of the problem.

halvis
19-08-2010, 15:22
I can see where you are coming from. I always think it would be a great way to get more into classical music via vinyl. However, whenever I buy what looks to be a piece in good nick, it just turns out to be a dull, crackly sounding piece of naff and never gets played again.

Classical sounds much better on CD from my experiences.

jandl100
19-08-2010, 15:30
Classical sounds much better on CD from my experiences.

Yup - nail, head - thwack!

Pre-recorded classical cassettes are often fine, too, in fact. I've got an excellent collection - 49p each from Oxfam. :)

Alex_UK
19-08-2010, 15:40
I was just about to say "nail, hammer, successfully interfaced" but your thwack! is much more satisfying!

Apologies we've ridden right over your Ad - maybe Marco or one of the others could put the off topic into a new thread?

(Although on the positive side you've had a lot of BUMPS! I wouldn't bank on selling it to any classical fans though!) :)

jandl100
19-08-2010, 18:16
Apologies we've ridden right over your Ad - maybe Marco or one of the others could put the off topic into a new thread?

Nah - I shouldn't worry.

In fact it's stayed remarkably On Topic .... for an AOS thread that is! :eyebrows:

Flyfisher
19-08-2010, 20:54
Jerry there is a great second hand record shop in Cheltenham The Record Shop run & owned by Martyn Hooper. First heard him on Radio Gloucester talking about records, top bloke too.

He is only open on Saturdays and Sundays, look him up on the web, have bought loads of records from him and only had a few duds, some great LPs for 50p.

Any chance I could borrow your 103 just day, I need a suitable cartridge to do a test on my Jelco.

Currently working in the FoD so easy to collect and return.

Regards

Roger

jandl100
21-08-2010, 06:34
Hi Roger - yeah, OK. Monday?

I should be getting my noo cheapo DJ deck on Wednesday so I'd like to get the 103 back by then.
It's seriously heavy, btw, you will almost certainly have problems balancing it out unless you can bung extra mass onto your c/wt.

Flyfisher
21-08-2010, 07:58
Jerry

Monday evening would fine and it will be back with you either Tuesday night or first thing Wednesday morning at the very lastest.

I have the larger Jelco C/W as well as the standard one. Do you still have the headshell?

I sort of remeber where you are, but to be safe can you please PM me your contact details.

It will be good to catch up.

Many thanks

Roger

jandl100
21-08-2010, 08:22
I have the larger Jelco C/W as well as the standard one. Do you still have the headshell?

The Sumiko? Nope , that went with the Techie. The cart does not have a stylus guard so will be much safer in its box. So you'll have to mount the beast ... and buy me a noo one if you fek it up! ;)

Flyfisher
21-08-2010, 09:09
... and buy me a noo one if you fek it up! ;)

Moi?

montesquieu
26-08-2010, 08:32
I really have to challenge this idea that vinyl is rubbish with classical.

I wouldn't disagree that a good proportion of charity shop vinyl has been badly treated (and that Oxfam in particular grade and price everything as if it's pristine, when most of the time it's anything of the sort).

But there are plenty of quality vinyl dealers on ebay selling top notch stuff - I spent last night listening to lieder & chamber music recordings that have never been released on CD, just glorious and hardly a pop or click to be found.

'Baby' and 'bathwater' spring to mind here Jerry ....

Another issue is cartridge .... some (including the 103) are just not that fantastic with surface noise .... there are better options.

jandl100
26-08-2010, 13:36
Hi Tom

That's fine. I am happy that you are happy.

I'll stick to cassette and CD and DVD. Those give me the noise/distortion reliability that I, personally, crave.

:)

jandl100
27-08-2010, 08:05
Werll ... I'm not going to be entirely without the wonders of vinyl.

See http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?p=147016#post147016 post #242. :)