PDA

View Full Version : Alignment protractor for technics 12**

scoobs
25-06-2008, 19:58
I have downloaded the Technics baerwald protractor from vinyl engine, and I'm finding that the innermost calibration mark is beyond the reaches ...(ie closer to the spindle than the technics arm will swing to) The protractor has been scaled correctly prior to printing.

What's going on here then....:scratch:

Can anyone suggest an alternative that can be downloaded

Ta

Peter Stockwell
03-07-2008, 07:06
No, but I just snagged a Feickert protracter of eBay ;)

Peter Stockwell
08-07-2008, 09:40
I used the Feickert protracter to set up my grado, and I managed to get the null points as specified by Feickert, can't remember where they are without checking.

Compared with the alignment indicated by the Technics guage the cartridge goes forward about 4mm and a very slight twist clockwise to align.

From poking around on vinyl engine, I've learned that Technics uses the Stevenson alignment. Which until then I'd never heard of.

The Feickert guage will also align to the lofgrin nulls too, but probably most surprising thing about either of these is that the cartridge moves forward in the headshell.

What's disturbing about this is that front part of the cartridge is not "mated" to the headshell. I supect some rgidity issues, which would most likely be bothersome with lower compliance cartridges.

So are there any extra long headshells out there ?

cheers

Sid and Coke
31-08-2008, 09:06
I bought a Technics SL1200 deck last week to have a play with. It came supplied with an entry level Ortofon OM Pro S DJ type Cartridge.

I initially used the supplied plastic overhang guage, but just didn't get the feeling that it was accurate enough, or more likely I've been using alignment protractor type grids for so long now that i feel more comfortable with them.

I then figured that the only way of doing any meaningful comparisons to my LP12 was to fit my Denon DL304 cart to the Technics and see how it sounded.

Fitting the Denon has been a bit of a weird experience. After a few hours of checking and double checking last night i thought i was going mad, or just being plain stupid.

I can't get the Arm to sit parallel with the record surface at all without using the supplied headshell weight, even then with the VTA adjuster set to zero, the arm still seems to be 'tail up', so I'me going to make a thicker spacer.

The next problem is that if i use a Baerweld alignment protractor the only way i can it to align is by having about half of the Cartridge body sticking out of the front of the headshell. Are the Technics Stevenson alignment and the Baerweld alignment really so different ?

I'm glad that i stumbled across this thread as Peter has had the same problems, i'm just happy that i found my 'problems' independantly. S

So any experts out there care to comment

Marco
31-08-2008, 09:37
Hi Tim,

I know it's tempting (and quite natural) to be anal regarding alignment, particularly if you've been used to using protractor grids, but with the 103R and Pro I found the supplied plastic gauge just fine, so my advice would be to use it as accurately as possible and worry not :)

Regarding VTA, you're absolutely right, Denons are much lower bodied than the cartridges the Technics arm is normally used with (Stanton 500s, etc) so even with VTA adjustment set to zero the arm will still be slightly tail up, as you say. I cure this by using two mats, or thicker mats than standard to bring the VTA in line as necessary.

Have you tried doing that? IMO it's a better overall solution than using spacers, which I feel are detrimental to performance.

Marco.

Sid and Coke
31-08-2008, 10:18
Hi Tim,

I know it's tempting (and quite natural) to be anal regarding alignment, particularly if you've been used to using protractor grids, but with the 103R and Pro I found the supplied plastic gauge just fine, so my advice would be to use it as accurately as possible and worry not :)

Hmm.....

It didn't really bother me when i was using the Pro S cartridge as it has a conical stylus, ( like your Denons) i had think about it a whole lot more with my DL304 as it has an eliptical stylus profile, I don't have huge record collection but what i do have is well loved and cared for, I'd prefer not to risk re-profiling the grooves :)

Considering the amount of time, effort and money that you have put into your own SL12xx I'm a little surprised that you are so easily pleased with the cheap plastic overhang gauge. I don't care what you say , There is no way that that thing is as accurate as a proper protractor/grid. Ball park yes, accurate and precise... hmmm it doesn't look it to me.

I'm going to give it a go again though as the Baerwaeld Technics protrator settings just look too mad. And as the DL304 has 2 mounting holes and 2 slots I had to use the slots , it was like fighting an Octopus getting everything lined up and tightened down.

Just fitting two piddly nuts and bolts plus a few bits of metal and plastic weighing a few grams had me sweating buckets last night :)

Regarding VTA, you're absolutely right, Denons are much lower bodied than the cartridges the Technics arm is normally used with (Stanton 500s, etc) so even with VTA adjustment set to zero the arm will still be slightly tail up, as you say. I cure this by using two mats, or thicker mats than standard to bring the VTA in line as necessary.

Have you tried doing that? IMO it's a better overall solution than using spacers, which I feel are detrimental to performance.

Marco.

I was fighting with that bloody spacer for ages last night, although the effects of my hangover from a rare night out with my pals on friday was still having its effects.

Doh ! I didn't even think about using an extra mat.
I'm using the felt one off my Linn at the moment, however i do have the OEM rubber and slip mats if needed.

I suppose one good thing about these tonearms is the removable headshell. I might just make spacer anyway then bond it ( or rivet it ) permanently into place. See if i can find a suitable bit of material. In fact the genuine headshells are so readily available and affordable that one can experiment a little with some hand tools on one.

Lack of Hinges is my biggest problem at the moment. Every prior TT I have owned has had a hinged lid which i always use , nearly had a wipeout last night when i went to lift the lid and the whole bloody thing moved - the wrong way ! luckily no damage was done. Old habits die hard.

Marco
31-08-2008, 10:58
Considering the amount of time, effort and money that you have put into your own SL12xx I'm a little surprised that you are so easily pleased with the cheap plastic overhang gauge.

Lol. I checked it with my usual alignment protractor and it was fine, hence my (perhaps too easily achieved satisfaction) :eyebrows:

The other thing is I'm using an Audio Technica LH-18 headshell with pre-drilled holes on the underneath to affix the cartridge rather than the usual 'slide' arrangement from above with nuts and hex bolts; it just so happened that the set of holes nearest the tip of the headshell were bang on for accurate alignment with the 103. I also feel this arrangement offers a more rigid fixing.

As for hinges, there are some on my 1210 (and also a lid), although I don't use it, but I've got no idea why there are none on yours :confused:

Anyway I hope you enjoy the deck. Please keep us posted with pictures and your thoughts when you get a chance to have a proper listen.

Marco.

Sid and Coke
31-08-2008, 11:37
As for hinges, there are some on my 1210 (and also a lid), although I don't use it, but I've got no idea why there are none on yours :confused

Marco.

It would appear that the Mk2 has lid hinges fitted as standard. The Mk 3 and Mk 5 have the pilot holes drilled, but no hinges fitted for some bizarre reason.

Mine is a Mk5 so i need to find and fit a hinge kit.

Marco
31-08-2008, 11:58
Lol, Tim, mine is a MK5G! And it has 'dem hinge and lid things fitted as standard... ;)

Marco.