PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Sinclair

Rare Bird
13-08-2010, 16:08
I'm looking for a Sinclair 'Neoteric 60' amplifier working or not but must be near mint at least.

Thermionic
13-08-2010, 16:33
Good luck Andre, I have never seen one and have been looking for over 30 years!

Somewhere buried I have the user manual but please don’t ask me to find it.:)

DSJR
13-08-2010, 18:56
Sinclair did better with the kits I think from memory. And you know what these kit boards evolved into don't you? :D

Macca
13-08-2010, 20:47
Sinclair did better with the kits I think from memory. And you know what these kit boards evolved into don't you? :D

No, I don't...?

The Black Adder
13-08-2010, 22:57
Go for the ZX, not the QL for reliability... the Microdrive was a joke!

;)

Alex_UK
13-08-2010, 23:10
Go for the ZX, not the QL for reliability... the Microdrive was a joke!

;)

I used to love a tune played on the tape deck with a Sinclair. (Avoid any of the + models though, the isolation of the rubber key original is sublime)

Durrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Ditt ......................... Durrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Dit

Durrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrurrdeeedurrrdeeedurrrrdeeeeedu rrrrDurrdeeedurrrdeeedurrrrdeeeeedurrrrDurrdeeedur rrdeeedurrrrdeeeeedurrrrDurrdeeedurrrdeeedurrrrdee eeedurrrrDurrdeeedurrrdeeedurrrrdeeeeedurrrrDurrde eedurrrdeeedurrrrdeeeeedurrrrDurrdeeedurrrdeeedurr rrdeeeeedurrrrDurrdeeedurrrdeeedurrrrdeeeeedurrrrD urrdeeedurrrdeeedurrrrdeeeeedurrrrDurrdeeedurrrdee edurrrrdeeeeedurrrr.

Ah, those were the days!

Also, avoid the printer - hellishly difficult to get that silver paper these days from your local Staples...

DSJR
14-08-2010, 09:20
No, I don't...?

A certain UK amp manufacturer has used a very similar RCA derived circuit (modified to make it almost unstable) for nearly forty years now, using long lengths of (their) speaker cable to make it as stable as possible. In the mid seventies, when these amps were new to market, the similarities to the Sinclair Z60 amp modules didn't go un-noticed as I remember, the main differences being the over-generous power supplies fitted. They've done very well out of it in the intervening years.

Stratmangler
14-08-2010, 09:34
I used to love a tune played on the tape deck with a Sinclair. (Avoid any of the + models though, the isolation of the rubber key original is sublime)

Durrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Ditt ......................... Durrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Dit

Durrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrurrdeeedurrrdeeedurrrrdeeeeedu rrrrDurrdeeedurrrdeeedurrrrdeeeeedurrrrDurrdeeedur rrdeeedurrrrdeeeeedurrrrDurrdeeedurrrdeeedurrrrdee eeedurrrrDurrdeeedurrrdeeedurrrrdeeeeedurrrrDurrde eedurrrdeeedurrrrdeeeeedurrrrDurrdeeedurrrdeeedurr rrdeeeeedurrrrDurrdeeedurrrdeeedurrrrdeeeeedurrrrD urrdeeedurrrdeeedurrrrdeeeeedurrrrDurrdeeedurrrdee edurrrrdeeeeedurrrr.

Ah, those were the days!

Also, avoid the printer - hellishly difficult to get that silver paper these days from your local Staples...

I'll name that tune in 1 - it's "The Crab Grass Baby" from Frank Zappa's "Thing Fish" :lolsign:

DSJR
14-08-2010, 09:56
This is what Andr'e's on about...

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q8/DSJR_photos/neoteric_60_amp.jpg

I think I twiddled with one in my early days, but I never remember listening to it, sadly.. Very much of its time - and mine too..:)

spendorman
21-09-2010, 14:42
I called it the Sinclair Neurotic.

spendorman
21-09-2010, 14:49
A certain UK amp manufacturer has used a very similar RCA derived circuit (modified to make it almost unstable) for nearly forty years now, using long lengths of (their) speaker cable to make it as stable as possible. In the mid seventies, when these amps were new to market, the similarities to the Sinclair Z60 amp modules didn't go un-noticed as I remember, the main differences being the over-generous power supplies fitted. They've done very well out of it in the intervening years.

Another clue needed please.

Ali Tait
21-09-2010, 16:56
Did it begin with an "N" by any chance?

spendorman
21-09-2010, 17:19
Did it begin with an "N" by any chance?

And the company is still going?

Ali Tait
21-09-2010, 17:51
Yes,if it's who I think!

DSJR
21-09-2010, 19:55
And the irony is that they're probably the biggest noise in the UK audio industry right now ;)

hornucopia
21-09-2010, 20:14
I've got a Sinclair 'Matchbox"Radio. Also a pair of (Z-12?) Monos somewhere, with the folded card instructions!.
But it's not a Neoteric!

spendorman
21-09-2010, 20:41
I've got a Sinclair 'Matchbox"Radio. Also a pair of (Z-12?) Monos somewhere, with the folded card instructions!.
But it's not a Neoteric!

Matchbox radio was a Micro 6, later called Micromatic, if my memory is correct. Built one myself, and to my surprise, it worked!

Thermionic
22-09-2010, 09:08
I think they reviewed the Neurotic 60 in HFN and thought it pretty good. Though anything with transistors was thought good then, but I seem to recall that it had problems with mains hum from its transformer which they couldn’t fix. Perhaps that’s why there aren’t many (any?) about.

MartinT
22-09-2010, 09:37
Nobody ever accused N*** of using esoteric circuits. Pretty much manufacturer's design notes with over-sized power supplies.

hornucopia
22-09-2010, 09:51
Matchbox radio was a Micro 6, later called Micromatic, if my memory is correct. Built one myself, and to my surprise, it worked!
I wonder if mine still would; if I knew what battery size was......
Used to sit in Manchester Art College in lectures, listening to......WONDERFUL Radio One! It was new then!. Had my arm resting against a pillar that seemed to work as a booster aerial!Wire up sleeve to phone (mono!)

spendorman
22-09-2010, 10:05
I wonder if mine still would; if I knew what battery size was......
Used to sit in Manchester Art College in lectures, listening to......WONDERFUL Radio One! It was new then!. Had my arm resting against a pillar that seemed to work as a booster aerial!Wire up sleeve to phone (mono!)

The radio was small, but the crystal earpiece was not! The two batteries were about the size of modern National Health hearing aid batteries (more correctly, cells). I am pretty sure that they would do. (be careful to get correct polarity). My Sinclair Micro 6 was stolen by a school classmate. He must have thought it worth having!

spendorman
22-09-2010, 10:17
I think they reviewed the Neurotic 60 in HFN and thought it pretty good. Though anything with transistors was thought good then, but I seem to recall that it had problems with mains hum from its transformer which they couldn’t fix. Perhaps that’s why there aren’t many (any?) about.

I seem to recollect that because it was so small and compact, overheating was a problem sometimes.

hornucopia
22-09-2010, 11:21
The radio was small, but the crystal earpiece was not! The two batteries were about the size of modern National Health hearing aid batteries (more correctly, cells). I am pretty sure that they would do. (be careful to get correct polarity). My Sinclair Micro 6 was stolen by a school classmate. He must have thought it worth having!
Is he still alive? we'll send the boys round!

spendorman
22-09-2010, 11:28
Is he still alive? we'll send the boys round!

Not sure, name was Raymond!

Marco
22-09-2010, 16:19
I've got one of these if you're interested:

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/7315/sinclairc500.jpg (http://img178.imageshack.us/i/sinclairc500.jpg/)

Just the ticket for getting down to the hi-fi show! :eyebrows:

Marco.

hornucopia
22-09-2010, 22:21
I've got one of these if you're interested:

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/7315/sinclairc500.jpg (http://img178.imageshack.us/i/sinclairc500.jpg/)

Just the ticket for getting down to the hi-fi show! :eyebrows:

Marco.
Didn't have built-in hi-fi though!

Martyn Miles
12-09-2015, 20:16
I bought one of Sinclair's Project 60 FM tuners in the early '70s, without a power supply.
The Electronics Technician at work was intrigued by the design and helped me with building a power supply.

It worked excellently for many years and ended up at a friend's house.
Who knows, it may still be there...