PDA

View Full Version : Welcome

Dgob
30-07-2021, 11:00
Hi All,

This is my first time posting on the site and so I am introducing myself.

I have been into hifi for around 30 years and have seen many changes in that time. Most specifically, a change in circumstances has seen me need to revise my hifi system, which was fairly expensive. I am now building from the ground up and have started this with a new approach: starting from a Topping D90 Se dac and Topping Pre90 preamp with the Ext90 extension. I went down the active speaker route with a budget pair of KRK Rokit 8 G4 monitors on some rather expensive bespoke stands. Despite slight hiss of these monitors, they perform really well on the stand but they definitely need good stands to bring the best out of them. I also use a Marantz transport and will be moving on to get my vinyl front end up and running in the near future.

I listen mainly to jazz and classical, but like good music regardless of genre. I am hoping to exceed the levels of audio playback that I used to have with my former (and more expensive) system. To that end, I try to share the wisdom of others and so here I am, located in Bedford, England.

Dgob

struth
30-07-2021, 15:03
Hi Desmond, welcome to AoS. I hope you enjoy your stay..

Gramophonic
30-07-2021, 21:17
Hi!
I was interested to hear your mention of KRK's as that's basicly what I have, all be it some knockoff that were, according to what I read, disgruntled krk workers nicking parts lol wouldn't have bought them if I'd known that! but they're really decent speakers and I don't have them on stands. How large are yours? mine are just bookshelf type ones. I use them with a tannoy sub. I'd have to do some messing about to get stands in my small listening space but it's a good idea and thank you for it.

Dgob
13-08-2021, 15:12
Hi,

Mine are the quite big Rokit 8 G4 (153/4, x 101/2 x 121/8"). Getting a good pair of bespoke stands are a must in my opinion. They elevate the performance quite a bit. If finance allows and I go up, I'm thinking of the Revel Performa 3 F208's, driven by a Benchmark AHB2 amp. And that would nearly be the end of my system!

Barry
21-08-2021, 09:19
Welcome to AoS Desmond,

Always good to hear from Members who have built their own systems. Well done. :)

There are plenty of Jazz and Classical music lovers here, so lets us know what recordings you like to listen. :)

Enjoy the Forum
Barry