PDA

View Full Version : Linear Power supply DC 15V suggestions

Seeker-Smith
14-07-2021, 21:05
I just ordered a new Caiman SEG 50 and Dorada!!! from Stan. Now I'm looking for a super awesome Linear Power supply DC 15V for North America current.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Peter

killie99
14-07-2021, 21:42
How handy are you with a soldering iron? some really nice projects available, L-Adapter on DIY Audio being excellent.

Seeker-Smith
14-07-2021, 21:46
I know my way around soldering gun but DIY is not for me.
Thanks for the suggestion though.

Cheers,
Peter

Theadmans
15-07-2021, 17:48
Peter - I have a SEG and a Dorado too...

...not sure you need an expensive 15v Linear Power supply - the Dorado is feeding the DAC (the PSU is only charging the Dorado up).

I have a relatively cheap £50 Chinese Linear PSU which is adjustable. It actually has two outputs - one I set to 16v (as recommended by Stan for the Dorado) and the other set to 5v for my Raspberry Pi streamer.

I seem to remember that when I bought this dual PSU on eBay a few years ago - there were cheaper single voltage versions available.

You specify the voltage on order - but it can then be easily adjusted with a screwdriver.

The PSU I have has green LED displays showing the current voltage.

Seeker-Smith
15-07-2021, 17:54
Adam,

Many thanks. You basically confirmed what I had been thinking. I did send a note to Stan asking about voltage and wattage. There was some talk about 18v for the Dorado.

So you use a PI steamer. I'd not thought of that option.

Cheers,
Peter

Theadmans
19-07-2021, 16:53
Yes I used to have a Squeezebox Touch streamer...

...but when that died I replaced it with a Pi (with a Wolfson Audio card attached) acting as a Squeezebox Touch clone. Feeds the SEG DAC via coax from the Wolfson Card.

The dual output Chinese PSU feeds 16v to my Dorado (Mark 1) and 5v to the Raspberry Pi. This is my bedrom headphone system (with Sennheiser HD650s). Sounds excellent.

I have another Pi and Wolfson Card combo in my main system in the lounge. The 2nd Pi feeds the DAC input of my Creek 50CD player.

My Creek 50A integrated amp has a headphone socket (but I much prefer the SEG for headphone use).

Seeker-Smith
20-07-2021, 19:58
Adam.

I've put a Pi and Wolfson combo on my xmas list. My new SEG setup has not yet arrived and its likely the psu will be weeks behind the SEG.

Cheers,
Peter