PDA

View Full Version : Duelund Cable

ovlov854
12-07-2021, 19:59
I have been intrigued by the number of members using Duelund cable, usually the 16awg in the main.
I thought I would try some of the newer DCA 12awg which is a twin and therefore a little thicker

Cost is £27 per stereo metre and a spare set of banana plugs and so as I only need a 2 metre set.............approx £130

Results after only 20 minutes was surprising top a little coarse and nut so good at the bottom but pretty impressive.
Lets see how they sound when they have settled in :D

Wakefield Turntables
12-07-2021, 21:00
A tried and tested route. I have a full loom of the stuff in my REAL sound system. Sounds blimmin' great!

ovlov854
20-07-2021, 08:34
Well, now settling in nicely. Not the last word on detail but surprisingly dynamic and now better at lower end.
It has replaced Siltech Explorer at £750 (their "entry level" cable) :lol:

WESTLOWER
20-07-2021, 09:23
I had similar results using this cable
It was only after replacing it that I found it’s lacked the punch of the new cable I replaced it with.
But very musical and pleasant not at all the last word in anything but for £27 quid …..

sailor
21-09-2021, 18:03
Hi Adam, I had similar results to you and found the skinny odd smelling and unlikely looking cable surprisingly good. As a sanity check I temporarily tried my previous Harmonic Technology Pro 9 speaker cables which after renovations were too short. They are still hooked up. Too big an improvement to ignore.

What did you replace the Duelunds with?

Barry
21-09-2021, 19:42
Why should a cable consisting of 26 strands of 0.25mm diameter tinned copper sound so special? Especially as it is clad in an oil-impregnated cotton covering (what is the oil used), which to my mind offers little electrical benefit, compared to modern polymers.

I note that the 'fuss' over Dueland cables came from guitarists and the effect it had on the sound (tone) of their instruments. That is fair enough, but when it comes to the reproduction of said guitar sound, then I would have thought every component in the replay chain should be as neutral as possible and not have any 'sound' of its own.

Wakefield Turntables
21-09-2021, 21:07
Especially as it is clad in an oil-impregnated cotton covering (what is the oil used)

Snake? The construction of the cable does something. Don't have a clue, but it does sound pretty good.

Barry
22-09-2021, 10:59
Snake? The construction of the cable does something. Don't have a clue, but it does sound pretty good.

Touché. :)

Pharos
22-09-2021, 15:49
Shouldn't that be;
"Snake? The constriction of the cable does something?"

Barry
22-09-2021, 16:12
I enquired as to the type of oil used to impregnate the cotton covering of the Duelund cable.

Given the sceptical nature of my post, Andrew rather wittily replied "Snake", a reference to the term 'snake oil', which I thought was rather apt.

Wakefield Turntables
22-09-2021, 20:15
I'll not be performing at the fringe festival any time soon.

Gazjam
24-09-2021, 11:09
Love this cable, big fan here.

Ran a single set of the 16GA with my Impulse H2's back in the day and it sounded wonderful.
Clarity and tone to die for.

Didn't work as well with my next speakers (set of "stand-in" wee Dali Zensor 7's), but with my current Wharfedale Evo 4.4's cable sounds sublime.
Run them in biwire config, Duelund 16GA on treble duty, Morrow MA7 v2 on Bass.
Combination works really really well.

The Duelund is terrific.
Dont even think about speaker cable now.

Opti-cal
24-09-2021, 14:22
I've used the Duelund stuff for 'jumper' cables as my speakers require 5 jumpers each. Sounded significantly better than all the Van Damme offerings and TQ blue and ultra blue.

Eventually OCC has replaced and bettered it but I was never unhappy with it's performance or felt it lacked, just that the OCC is better.

No reason to suspect it won't beat most stuff using longer runs too, although the thin(ish) gauge may play a part here. I wouldn't want to run it over say 5m as the thicker stuff tends to perform better after that.

hornucopia
25-09-2021, 17:17
CAT 6 works pretty well as well.

Gazjam
23-02-2022, 22:20
Why should a cable consisting of 26 strands of 0.25mm diameter tinned copper sound so special? Especially as it is clad in an oil-impregnated cotton covering (what is the oil used), which to my mind offers little electrical benefit, compared to modern polymers.

I note that the 'fuss' over Dueland cables came from guitarists and the effect it had on the sound (tone) of their instruments. That is fair enough, but when it comes to the reproduction of said guitar sound, then I would have thought every component in the replay chain should be as neutral as possible and not have any 'sound' of its own.

:)
All of wot you just said.

hornucopia
24-02-2022, 12:01
must dig out my 80s Monster cable +try it.

wee tee cee
25-02-2022, 15:13
this interests me....how do you like your distortion....

Wakefield Turntables
25-02-2022, 19:00
What's the big fuss, and why care? All that matters is that someone really enjoys the sound that this makes. This hobby is supposed to be fun. :rolleyes: