PDA

View Full Version : Lifestyle change and weight gain

Filterlab
09-05-2021, 13:47
Bit of an odd one this, but help me out if you can.

Around six weeks ago I decided to cut out meat and try veggie. At the same time I seriously stepped up exercise; working out for 30 minutes on my cross trainer on the fitness program (variation of resistance throughout each session) interspersed with circuit training, namely push ups (40) and stomach crunches (50) per session, five times a week.

Since then my fitness level has fallen badly, in that I'm out of breath when walking up a flight of stairs, whereas before I had no problems whatsoever, and the weight has just piled on. I feel completely shattered and regardless of how much sleep I get, I feel permanently tired. I take a multi-vitamin each day and a liquid iron supplement (19.8mg per day - well within the norm) which I've done for a long time.

I eat one meal a day, something I've done for the last 32 years and calories for that meal now are around 1,500, so much lower than an average day's intake for most men and what I used to eat.

What the feck am I doing wrong? I genuinely feel terrible and I'm much more overweight compared to when I used to do absolutely no exercise and eat whatever crap I fancied (loads of takeaways and general rubbish) just six weeks ago.

Any thoughts or experience?

struth
09-05-2021, 13:56
could be adding muscle(its heavier than fat) might not be eating enough carbs/sugars etc.. or calories for what your expending. also it would be wise to get your bloods checked and see if your metabolising correctly etc.. check for iron deficiency etc.

i'd increse food into 2 or 3 smaller meals and a bit more calories.. more carbs etc and cut down excersise a bit. see how you feel

Filterlab
09-05-2021, 14:01
It's not 'weight' (badly phrased by me) as such that I've gained as I don't weigh myself, it's fat. Whereas I was quite slim a few weeks ago, I now wobble like a jelly and I have a paunch which I've never had. I've reduced alcohol too as I thought that may be a factor.

I'd have imagined that doing all the above would have had a positive impact on my health but the opposite seems to have occurred.

I know what you mean about the meal structure but I've eaten the single meal a day for 32 years (due to feeling quite unwell if I eat prior to 2pm) but even with that I've been quite slim in the past.

Thanks for the blood test pointer though, a couple of people have mentioned that in the past few days. I wonder if it's something more sinister that has been exacerbated by the lifestyle change?

Barry
09-05-2021, 14:05
I can't speak from experience as I am not overweight, nor on any special diet (save having type II diabetes, and thus managing it with watching what I eat: cutting down on salt, sugar and saturated fat), but something is clearly amiss.

My suspicion is that you are making too many changes to your lifestyle at the same time. Is there a gym nearby you can join? - as I think your fitness requirements ought to be assessed by a qualified trainer. I would also try to make an appointment to see (or at least speak with) your doctor about having a check-up.

Pigmy Pony
09-05-2021, 14:05
Hi Rob,

Sounds like a bit of a protein deficiency.

I would suggest that you go back to your old lifestyle right now - then the only changes I'd make is slightly smaller portions and slightly more exercise. I would also suggest that one meal a day isn't doing you any good - you got away with it when you were taking on animal proteins, but bear in mind that your new diet may not be providing enough. In any case the body can only assimilate so much protein at any one sitting, hence my misgivings about having only one meal per day.

It would be worth trying

(a) three meals per day minimum which include animal protein. Doesn't have to be meat, it can be fish, eggs, dairy.

(b) if possible eat earlier rather than late in the day.

(c) a good move if you are able is to do your exercising first thing, before breakfast - your body will already be in 'starvation mode' and rather than taking energy
from your last meal, will get at your fat reserves quicker.

Then again I'm a bit of a fat biffa, so what do I know? :D

walpurgis
09-05-2021, 14:07
Might be a low level bug Rob. No real symptoms apart from feeling not 100%. Had similar myself.

struth
09-05-2021, 14:09
One of the reasons people gain weight in your position is simply NOT eating enough food! odd aint it..but if you aren’t providing your body with the energy it needs to fuel your daily activities, then it will have to begin sourcing it from somewhere else. You might be thinking the first place it will look is your stored body fat, but it is far easier for your body to begin breaking down your lean muscle mass so it can be converted to glucose and burned for energy.

eat more and excersise a bit less. more carbs added in etc.. you need fuel first.

also keep fluid up(water)

Filterlab
09-05-2021, 14:12
Sounds like going back to my previous lifestyle would be beneficial! :)

I'll return to my previous diet but keep the exercise going and see what happens over the next six weeks.

Filterlab
09-05-2021, 14:23
Thanks chaps.

Marco
09-05-2021, 17:01
Failing that, it could be an excessive build-up of man's milk or fart gas, so you know the respective cures!:D:eyebrows:

Seriously though, mate, I hope you get things sorted out soon to your satisfaction. Some good advice has been given. One thing I'd add, if it hasn't already been suggested, is to stop eating altogether after 8pm - or try and have your evening meal as early as possible, allowing sufficient time for at least some (as many as possible) of the calories to be burned off, then consume nothing else but fluids (water, nothing sugary) before bed.

One of the things that piles on the pounds most is late-night takeaways, washed down with beer!

Also, try and always eat something decent for breakfast (don't skip it), as it staves off the temptation to snack until lunchtime, or gorge on too much food for lunch because you've eaten nothing since you got up. Little and often is better than nothing, and then a huge big meal:)

In that respect, the old saying (although difficult to achieve with modern life) of 'Breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a pauper' holds true.

Marco.

struth
09-05-2021, 17:17
Failing that, it could be an excessive build-up of man's milk or fart gas, so you know the respective cures!:D:eyebrows:

Seriously though, mate, I hope you get things sorted out to your satisfaction. Some good advice has been given. One thing I'd add, if it hasn't already been suggested, is to stop eating altogether after 8pm - or try and have your evening meal as early as possible, allowing sufficient time for at least some (as many as possible) of the calories to be burned off, then consume nothing else but fluids (water, nothing sugary) before bed.

One of the things that piles on the pounds most is late-night takeaways, washed down with beer! Also, try and always eat something decent for breakfast (don't skip it), as it staves off the temptation to snack until lunchtime, or gorge on too much food for lunch because you've eaten nothing since you got up. Little and often is better than nothing, then a huge big meal:)

Marco.

if that was case i'd be dead years ago;)

Marco
09-05-2021, 17:22
Haha, nah, I thought your morning chugs were why your coffees were always so creamy!:eek::D

Marco.

struth
09-05-2021, 17:42
Haha, nah, I thought your morning chugs were why your coffees were always so creamy!:eek::D

Marco.Na, I need lactose free and mine is full cream

Marco
09-05-2021, 17:45
:lolsign:

I could go somewhere naughty with that, but I'll be good!

Marco.

Pigmy Pony
09-05-2021, 17:47

Seriously though, mate, I hope you get things sorted out soon to your satisfaction. Some good advice has been given. One thing I'd add, if it hasn't already been suggested, is to stop eating altogether after 8pm - or try and have your evening meal as early as possible, allowing sufficient time for at least some (as many as possible) of the calories to be burned off, then consume nothing else but fluids (water, nothing sugary) before bed.

One of the things that piles on the pounds most is late-night takeaways, washed down with beer!

Also, try and always eat something decent for breakfast (don't skip it), as it staves off the temptation to snack until lunchtime, or gorge on too much food for lunch because you've eaten nothing since you got up. Little and often is better than nothing, and then a huge big meal:)

In that respect, the old saying (although difficult to achieve with modern life) of 'Breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a pauper' holds true.

Marco.

All sound advice imo, and worth trying :)

guy
10-05-2021, 22:37
I wonder whether your body has gone in to crisis/survival mode and is storing as much fat as possible for the ongoing famine conditions?

Seriously I am not taking the Mickey (although everything I say is on the basis of my having no medical background)
But, your body was chugging along quite happily for years with a particular diet and exercise regime, it then finds itself eating very different food types and being expected to do lots of exercise I wouldn't be surprised if it started to store lots of fat (resulting in your feeling more fatigued).

However, I would strongly suggest that you see a doctor just to be on the safe side.

Pigmy Pony
11-05-2021, 05:45
I wonder whether your body has gone in to crisis/survival mode and is storing as much fat as possible for the ongoing famine conditions?

Seriously I am not taking the Mickey (although everything I say is on the basis of my having no medical background)
But, your body was chugging along quite happily for years with a particular diet and exercise regime, it then finds itself eating very different food types and being expected to do lots of exercise I wouldn't be surprised if it started to store lots of fat (resulting in your feeling more fatigued).

However, I would strongly suggest that you see a doctor just to be on the safe side.

Absolutely, "starvation mode" is a real thing. The body anticipates impending famine, and slows metabolism to conserve body fat/muscle. It's why people who go on a mad reducing diet make big weight losses initially, then hit a wall.

My thoughts also come from a position of zero medical qualifications, although I do have a diploma in Sports therapy, which covered this kind of stuff. Fat lot of use it's been...

walpurgis
11-05-2021, 06:37
Absolutely, "starvation mode" is a real thing. The body anticipates impending famine, and slows metabolism to conserve body fat/muscle.

Hmm. I must spend a lot of time in "starvation mode" as I generally carry a few pounds more than I need. :)

(easy to reduce though, I just eat less)

Opti-cal
11-05-2021, 07:16
I've asked my mate about this kind of thing a while ago (he studied sports science and nutrition). He gave me a few useful pointers which I have found helped. Might not work for everyone but might be worth a try.

(They actually echo a lot of the good suggestions here already so good advice chaps).

The body storing fat "starvation mode" thing is real and could well be brought on by the body only receiving a dose of actual 'fuel' minimal times (or in this case once) a day. Multivitamins are all well and good but absolutely no substitute for protein and vegetables/carbs. The side affects of this can be things like: feeling severely lethargic all day, headaches, cramps, muscle pain among others.

It could also be that the body has come to rely on a certain amount of 'bad' food, eg: processed fats (but there is protein in there too among the bad crap) so now you are receiving significantly less than the amount your body is expecting to see. Swift changes (even for what is proven to be 'better' food) can have adverse effects.

For more energy throughout the day eating a little and often is so much better for you than just having that one meal a day. Even if it's just a handful of nuts, some fruit and some water two or three times a day, the benefits will shine through.

Water, drink as much as you can as often as you can, especially if embarking on a new exercise regime. I know everyone knows this but people still forget that water helps EVERYTHING in the body. It helps with digestion, blood/oxygen flow and also naturally lubricates, it is simply 'of life'. Not flavored or with added anything, just plain water, probably a good 300ml glass every waking hour of the day, at least until you get on top of this.

Also if you crave something which society/TV/Dr's tell you is bad for you it might be your body requiring it, at least in the short term. If you're doing enough exercise it doesn't really matter if you eat some crap (within reason), a craving can be a sign of the body being deficient in something. I assume you're not going for Mr Universe (which is the only reason to cut out certain things completely to look 'cut/chiseled' etc) so don't listen to what the majority of diet advice seems to be which is things like 'don't eat chocolate/cakes/sugar' etc. Obviously don't consist your diet of this (or if you have other underlying health problems - diabetes for example) but I reiterate IF EXERCISING regularly it's actually going to give your energy levels a boost rather than pile on weight.

Have you ever seen what the Brownlee brothers eat before a 20k run through the Yorkshire dales? It's literally 10 cream cakes, pancakes, eggs, bacon and coffee. Instant energy in other words. Might be worth cramming in a chocolate or protein bar half hour before doing exercise. That way the body isn't digging into protein/muscle reserves afterwards which may be making you feel this bad.

I'm no guru/fitness fanatic but I do keep to most of the above but also enjoy quite a few take-aways and certainly over-indulge quite regularly (including in the alcohol department), in fact I feel motivated to exercise and eat well just to offset some of my bad habits as a life completely without 'vice' (indulgence, I'm not talking criminal activity here) can be a pretty boring existence.

Fair play for making changes and persevering with the exercise, once you get through a few weeks of pain EVERYTHING becomes easier as long as you fuel/rest your body accordingly.

If this continues however, as others have suggested do seek medical advice as it's not quite right to be looking after yourself and after some time, still feeling as you do.

Anyway best of luck and if one method doesn't work try another, not everything works for everyone and you have to find your 'groove' for exercising and eating. Once you get there though, everything becomes a lot more enjoyable.

guy
11-05-2021, 09:31
^^^^ :thumbsup: