PDA

View Full Version : Pink Floyd DSOTM Super Audio CD

dantheman91
06-08-2010, 08:53
Hi

ive just bought this cd would it sound any diffirent in a nomal cd player? Bargin only paid a £1.:lol:

Dan

Stratmangler
06-08-2010, 09:18
Hi

ive just bought this cd would it sound any diffirent in a nomal cd player? Bargin only paid a £1.:lol:

Dan

What do you mean by different ?

dantheman91
06-08-2010, 10:00
sound better then a normal cd

Spectral Morn
06-08-2010, 10:19
sound better then a normal cd

Imho if you play the SACD layer yes, but you will need an SACD player to do that. However if the question is- Is this version of the Redbook CD data better than previous CDs then I am not sure as I have only listened to it as a SACD, which I think is fantastic.

Dave (DSJR) is your man for this album...no doubt he will be along soon to offer comment.

Regards D S D L

DSJR
06-08-2010, 11:16
The Red-Book layer has been smothered with the audio version of golden syrup - it sounds more like an original LP played on an iffy turntable system.

I can safely say this as I KNOW what the master should sound like (I heard a Dolby A copy often enough in my early retail days). The clock bells on "Time" should have a Ting to them as real longcase bells do for example.

Get one of the early nineties remasters of this album. The recording is certainly dated as many effects seem to have been "flown in" from other analogue sources and there are hums and hisses aplenty, but Doug, IMO, seems to have got to the heart of the recording better, whereas the red-book layer of the SA-CD disc takes me much further away.

Here endeth the lesson as I see and hear it. I hated the Quadrophonic/surround mixes anyway as being plonked in the middle of the action confused me a bit - very impressive for a couple of listens though ;)

Alex_UK
06-08-2010, 12:11
Also discussed here - http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?p=139216#post139216

Haselsh1
06-08-2010, 13:40
I have a Chinese Original 2008F HDCD CD player that I use as a transport into a Beresford Caiman. I also have a cheapy Sony SACD player that I prefer not to mention but the SACD version of this Floyd album sounds much better as an SACD than it does as a straight CD playing the hybrid layer. The standard CD layer sounds bloody awful when compared to the SACD layer.

Rare Bird
06-08-2010, 14:20
The early 2000's Japanese remaster CD is much better to my lug holes..

:sofa: