PDA

View Full Version : Denon DL-A110

Jimbo
24-04-2021, 07:37
A great review for Denon DL 103 fans. One for you Marco, not that it will tell you anything new:)

https://www.hifinews.com/content/denon-dl-a110-cartridge

Wakefield Turntables
24-04-2021, 11:46
I did read this and thought about going down the 103 route again for a giggle.

Jimbo
24-04-2021, 18:23
I know the 103 will not work with my tonearm so a no go for me unfortunately.

Marco
25-04-2021, 11:11
Hi Jim,

Thanks for that, mate, and an interesting read:)

I had noticed this model, as I saw it for sale on a website I was looking at, but it struck me as expensive for what appears to be a stock 103 inside a 'fancy shell'.

However, it's undoubtedly a nice thing and fits the cartridge like a glove. I also like the idea of all the ugly wires and fixing screws being hidden (a la SPU), so that you only see a big 'square blob', tracing the grooves, which looks both purposeful and neat!

Will I get one to add to my collection? Perhaps, we'll see... However, I would like to know how heavy the headshell is itself, as I have a sneaky suspicion it may a little lightweight, thus designed for use on a 12" broadcast arm, and so when used on a 9-incher, added mass will be required for the cartridge to deliver optimum SQ.

Marco.

Barry
25-04-2021, 11:25
I too read the item in HFN (and based on it actually bought the magazine - a rare event for me these days).

The Denon DL-A110 is a stock DL103 (aluminium cantilever with a spherical tipped stylus) fitted to a lovely-looking headshell which compliments the look of the cartridge, as well as adding 10g to the total cartridge headshell mass.

If the headshell were to be sold separately I could be interested, though at £230 it is an expensive item. (Maybe though I should stick to using the Fidelity Research FR S-3 and FR S-4 headshells.)

Marco
25-04-2021, 12:08
Indeed... And there's the thing - if the headshell does indeed weigh only 10g, then that proves my point.

It's perfect for fitting to a higher-mass 12" arm [probably what it was actually designed for], and optimising a 103, but not in a 9" arm, where another 4g would be required, in order to make it 'sing', and that's also presuming the use of a high-ish mass tonearm, sans headshell.

It just shows what these reviewers know (or rather don't know) about these things... Therefore, for those considering buying this cartridge/headshell combo, and wanting to hear its absolute best with a 9" arm, a shim/spacer of suitable mass will need to be fitted to the inside of the headshell, between it and the cartridge.

Marco.

Jimbo
25-04-2021, 18:55
I thought it might be of interest Marco and I thought the DL-A110 might have been a possibility but as I have only 9 inches to play with i would have to put some serious weight on the headshell end and as mine is fixed it all sounds a bit bodge to me to make it work. But never the less an interesting cartridge from the Denon 103 range I feel?

Just wish they would put one in a decent heavy body like the Zu 103 and then I might get somewhere?