PDA

View Full Version : Cambridge Audio CD2

Tweedle-Dee
02-08-2010, 20:38
Well I brought it back from the grave http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3902&highlight=CD2 but it has now developed a new fault, so unfortunately its time to pass this on to somebody else to fiddle with.

The Cambridge Audio CD2 needs little introduction being Stan Curtis' effort at translating the seminal CD1 design concept to a lower cost, more mass market product. It uses 4 x TDA1541 DAC chips that were reputed to go through a selection process by Cambridge Audio more stringent than Philips own S1/S2.

This CD2 is in close to mint condition and I have all packaging, manuals etc. It really is as close to a museum piece as you could find and in fact had not been used since, I think, 1993 by the original owner, from whom I purchased it. The player still reads discs and plays music, but this is very much overpowered by static-like noise that has just appeared.

I can post photos at the weekend.

Happy to answer any questions. I'm open to offers from those prepared to try to fix it.

Many thanks,
Tweedle-Dee

leo
04-08-2010, 19:22
I could be wrong but I think the voltage to the TDA1541A's was set a little high in these cdp's so after some running in one or more of the dac chips may have gone noisy, this static noise usually shows up when the units been powered up a while and the chips run warm

Tweedle-Dee
06-08-2010, 18:27
Thanks for that Leo,

Yes, I recall reading something about the voltage being high to the TDA1541 chips.

I think the fault on this CD2 is not on the DAC board, but the main board - but of course could be wrong. I had a second CD2 that came with a very similar fault that I have since sold to a highly competent Polish guy. He traced the fault to a power stabiliser.

Hope to organise a few shots tomorrow...

Tweedle-Dee

Tweedle-Dee
07-08-2010, 14:52
Photos uploaded here:

http://s772.photobucket.com/albums/yy3/Tweedle-Dee12/Cambridge%20Audio%20CD2/

Update on fault - I unpackaged the CD2 to take the photos and noticed the mains cable live terminal had become loose in the mains plug. I sorted this and the player is now working perfectly - listening to it now in fact. I will play it 24/7 for the next few days and check it out. Could this have been to blame?

Reid Malenfant
07-08-2010, 14:56
Could this have been to blame?
Without a doubt ;) I've had similar things happen but not with audio equipment, no mains = no go :lol:

DSJR
07-08-2010, 16:56
Any idea how much you want for it??? I have fond memories of good ones sounding superb for the time, less good ones out of the box did tend to improve with a few hours use.

Tweedle-Dee
07-08-2010, 19:38
Hi Dave,

Yes, I'm fond of this little player as well. The non-A chips seem to have a different sonic signature than the TDA1541As that I'm more used to. Soundstaging is good as well...

Can I wait until tomorrow before suggesting a price just to check that all is well after running the player for about 24 hours?

Cheers,
Tweedle-Dee

Tweedle-Dee
08-08-2010, 11:37
Well I played the CD2 all day and through the night and it sound fine - very fine in fact. I then turned it off and back on again after approx 30 mins this morning and there is now a loud hum overpowering the music. I guess the player must have sometime up with it and will be sold as faulty.

If anyone is interested in it, please pm me with your offer. Happy to answer any questions.

Many thanks,
TD

Tweedle-Dee
10-08-2010, 21:05
CD2 sold, subject to payment

Many thanks for the interest

Best wishes,
Tweedle-Dee.