PDA

View Full Version : Snap, crackle and pop...

BultyBoy
15-03-2021, 19:04
That's the annoying sound of vinyl through my new Rega RP6 Exact cartridge and Elex R amp. I have only had the system three months but am ready to give up on vinyl. I have carbon brush, Milty stat gun and have clean records. I started my return to hifi 3 months ago committed to vinyl but find myself playing my pimped node 2i nearly all the time now. I have just bought Cairn, the jazz album by Fergus McCreadie which is amazing but the start is so noisy it's just really disappointing. Any ideas, I just don't remember vinyl bugging me so much before with my old lp12 and quad system.

Jac Hawk
15-03-2021, 23:27
New vinyl doesn't seem to be as clean straight out of the wrapper as it used to be, i find even new un-played LP's need 15 minutes in my ultrasonic RCM before they hit the deck, so my advice is buy an RCM even a manual one like the Knosti Disco Antistat will give you good results

Marco
16-03-2021, 11:37
Hi Simon,

Welcome to AoS and nice to see you contributing:)

The simple answer to achieving 'quiet vinyl' is to invest in an RCM - and bugger the cost! Perhaps by spending less on the T/T itself, cartridge or arm. It's really the only way;)

I can tell you from considerable experience that, for example, a good quality, but cheaper cartridge, playing *pristine* vinyl, properly cleaned on an RCM, will sound MUCH better than a more expensive cartridge playing records that are less clean (or dirty), as Mike makes a good point about even new vinyl these days not being genuinely clean (in terms of the inner grooves, where tiny particles of dust and dirt can gather during the production and packing process, which on playback is then 'seen' by the stylus).

The fact is, it's piss-easy to CLEAN records - simply running them under the tap will make dirty records appear cleaner - but it's what happens afterwards with the dirt that's removed, and where it ends up! All you're really achieving is loosening it and moving it somewhere else...

That's why RCMs are *so* effective, as that dirt is instead sucked up with a vacuum.. And you simply can't get records properly clean (or anything approaching silent during playback) any other way.

Plus, the other thing that RCMs achieve so well, is in removing STATIC build up from records, so once clean and properly stored (inside anti-static sleeves), thereafter become fairly impervious to attracting dust or dirt, and pristine clean records also drastically increase the life of your stylus!:)

So all in all, if you're truly serious about hearing vinyl at its best, and have a decent sized record collection, then the ownership of an RCM is a *MUST*, and so simply cannot be seen just as an 'optional accessory'.

Marco.

struth
16-03-2021, 11:43
^^ wat he said:)

BultyBoy
16-03-2021, 11:50
Thanks for the replies and for moving it, I wasn't sure if it fit here.
I do have a disco antistatic and cleaned that new lp before playing. It still pops and crackles and I think I can differentiate what is the occasional dust particle that may cause a mistracking for a few rpm vs. the more constant static noise that incidentally seems to build throughout playback. I am going to check if everything is earthed today first. I don't want to throw the towel in yet and am not short of money so might buy an RCM. Maybe i can hear someone's system who has one when the COVIDS over. Thanks.

Marco
16-03-2021, 11:59
I do have a disco antistatic and cleaned that new lp before playing. It still pops and crackles and I think I can differentiate what is the occasional dust particle that may cause a mistracking for a few rpm vs. the more constant static noise that incidentally seems to build throughout playback. I am going to check if everything is earthed today first. I don't want to throw the towel in yet and am not short of money so might buy an RCM. Maybe i can hear someone's system who has one when the COVIDS over. Thanks.

Sorry, Simon, those are dreadful things, only fit for the bin. You need something like this (chosen based on your available budget): https://thevinylfactory.com/features/the-8-best-record-cleaning-machines-for-the-true-vinyl-connossieur/

And as I said, static build up will become virtually a non-issue with the use of an RCM (and crucially the RIGHT fluid), and also good record-handling hygiene and storage habits.

The other thing, aside from that, to ensure that noise is reduced on playback, is in ensuring *optimal* set up of your cartridge and arm, and the cartridge especially in terms of azimuth, as any misalignment there will accentuate distortion and noise - plus also choose a cartridge that doesn't inherently accentuate groove noise, which some 'posh' fine-line MCs are prone to doing!

Out of interest, as I haven't read any of your previous posts, what T/T, arm and cartridge are you using?:)

Marco.

BultyBoy
16-03-2021, 14:31
Ok, its the same as the knotting disco antistatic quoted earlier i think but other than looking nice it doesn't seem to do much. I have a Rega RP6 RB330 arm and Exact cartridge at 40 hours probably.

hifi_dave
16-03-2021, 16:29
Sorry, Simon, those are dreadful things, only fit for the bin. You need something like this (chosen based on your available budget): https://thevinylfactory.com/features/the-8-best-record-cleaning-machines-for-the-true-vinyl-connossieur/

And as I said, static build up will become virtually a non-issue with the use of an RCM (and crucially the RIGHT fluid), and also good record-handling hygiene and storage habits.

The other thing, aside from that, to ensure that noise is reduced on playback, is in ensuring *optimal* set up of your cartridge and arm, and the cartridge especially in terms of azimuth, as any misalignment there will accentuate distortion and noise - plus also choose a cartridge that doesn't inherently accentuate groove noise, which some 'posh' fine-line MCs are prone to doing!

Out of interest, as I haven't read any of your previous posts, what T/T, arm and cartridge are you using?:)

Marco.
He is using a Rega P6 with Exact cartridge. The correct geometry is set by the third fixing screw in the headshell and the height of the cartridge designed for Rega arms.

Rega cartridges are relatively unfussy when it comes to record imperfections and dust etc, part of their philosophy for trouble free listening.

Dave999
16-03-2021, 17:10
I'd try the problem records on a different turntable first. if acceptable i'd be taking my rega back and demoing my issue to the retailer, and asking for a cartridge or stylus swap. stylus would probably do it

certainly in advance of making up my mind to spend 400 500 1000+ on a vacuum based cleaner :)

why?

i have a cheap stylus cockeyed in its mounting which when carefully aligned will track anything. even if it has groove damage
i have a more expensive para trace for the same cartridge which is nosier and falls foul of the invisible but audible issue the previous stylus tracks.
its great and worth the money to get it fitted...... in all aspects but this.

every stylus even of the same design runs a slightly different path, if you have one at one end or the other of a pretty small manufacturing tolerance in respect to cut or in the rubber suspension it may not perform as well as it might. maybe it was made late Friday afternoon after a pub lunch

my comparison is an elliptical with a paratrace which isn't quite fair

but either way
checking there is nothing wrong with the business end of the player would be my first port of call before investing a considerable amount in a cleaner that may not help in the way you need it to, at this point in your analysis.
still a handy thing to have but you buy one to clean records and we don't know if yours, really need a good clean

Dave

Cas
16-03-2021, 17:38
I have found to my cost in the past but a stylus that gets into the bottom of the groove will give you
more snap crackle and pop, I have found that for less snap crackle pop run an eliptical stylus.
That applies to clean records as well.

Macca
16-03-2021, 18:49
I don't think the problem is necessarily dirt in the grooves. Brand new records are rarely pristine but you can usually play them without cleaning first and not get any pops and cracks.

Thing is you see a lot of complaints about some modern re-pressings being inherently noisy. I have one, a re-issue of The Stone Roses first album. It's on red vinyl which doesn't help but even brand new it was noisy. Cleaning on a Moth RCM did not help.

Marco
16-03-2021, 22:24
He is using a Rega P6 with Exact cartridge. The correct geometry is set by the third fixing screw in the headshell and the height of the cartridge designed for Rega arms.

Rega cartridges are relatively unfussy when it comes to record imperfections and dust etc, part of their philosophy for trouble free listening.

Ah, cheers, Dave, In that case it things will be sorted from that angle:)

ATB,
Marco.

Marco
16-03-2021, 22:27
I have found to my cost in the past but a stylus that gets into the bottom of the groove will give you
more snap crackle and pop, I have found that for less snap crackle pop run an eliptical stylus.
That applies to clean records as well.

Exactly my point earlier:)

However, in terms of your second point, if a record is *genuinely* pristine clean, i.e has no foreign particles (of any description) in the grooves whatsoever, which with fastidious cleaning is possible, then why would there be any 'snap crackle pop'?;)

Marco.

Marco
16-03-2021, 22:36
I don't think the problem is necessarily dirt in the grooves. Brand new records are rarely pristine but you can usually play them without cleaning first and not get any pops and cracks.

These days, that's rare in my experience, as even brand new vinyl is invariably noisy, which can simply be down to poor standards of production/pressing quality, and often the use of inferior recycled vinyl, rather than the virgin variety, which is the ONLY way to obtain the best results!

However, if noisy, then repeated cleaning on an RCM invariably cures the problem.

The fact is, the noisiest or dirtiest records often need multiple cleans [on semi-automatic machines gently working the fluid with the cleaning brush into the grooves, and leaving to soak for a couple of minutes before vacuuming it off] before the vinyl in question becomes silent on playback. You can't just expect to give it a quick pass and all will be well;)

Another significant factor in how well records are cleaned on any RCM is the requisite quality of the cleaning fluid used, and all are not equal. Some formulations are more effective at penetrating the grooves and deep cleaning them.

Marco.

Cas
23-03-2021, 18:59
Exactly my point earlier:)

However, in terms of your second point, if a record is *genuinely* pristine clean, i.e has no foreign particles (of any description) in the grooves whatsoever, which with fastidious cleaning is possible, then why would there be any 'snap crackle pop'?;)

Marco.

I agree but it would take some kind of cleaning machine to remove every single item of debris from the grooves no matter how fastidious one was.

Marco
23-03-2021, 19:15
Sure, Chris. However regardless of that, I can say from experience that near-silent playback with vinyl is possible (i.e. no audible 'Rice Crispies' effect, as per the thread title, whatsoever), given the use of pristine vinyl, properly cleaned on an RCM. Doesn't matter that they don't remove every single piece of debris, as the improvement is significant.

All that's heard is a little 'roar', in between tracks (basically the noise of the stylus tracing the grooves), but otherwise silence, even during the quietest passages of music, such as with many recordings of classical music.

I've also made 100s of recordings from vinyl onto tape or CD, and you'd barely be able to tell that the music came from an analogue source, not digital, it's *that* quiet.

That's the standard that can be attained from vinyl replay, given some time and effort, along with the necessary expenditure. Therefore, 'Snap, Crackle and Pop' simply isn't inherently a part of the experience!:)

Marco.

Cas
24-03-2021, 16:47
Sure, Chris. However regardless of that, I can say from experience that near-silent playback with vinyl is possible (i.e. no audible 'Rice Crispies' effect, as per the thread title, whatsoever), given the use of pristine vinyl, properly cleaned on an RCM. Doesn't matter that they don't remove every single piece of debris, as the improvement is significant.

All that's heard is a little 'roar', in between tracks (basically the noise of the stylus tracing the grooves), but otherwise silence, even during the quietest passages of music, such as with many recordings of classical music.

I've also made 100s of recordings from vinyl onto tape or CD, and you'd barely be able to tell that the music came from an analogue source, not digital, it's *that* quiet.

That's the standard that can be attained from vinyl replay, given some time and effort, along with the necessary expenditure. Therefore, 'Snap, Crackle and Pop' simply isn't inherently a part of the experience!:)

Marco.

I agree with that.

BultyBoy
24-03-2021, 20:14
Would one of those Pro-ject VS-E machines be ok? 330quid.

Marco
25-03-2021, 09:19
I haven't used one, Simon, but I'm sure it's fine. One thing to consider is how well-built it is, thus durable and reliable, compared with machines costing £100 or so more. You don't want to skimp on quality for the sake of £100-150 and be left with a 'pup'.

Therefore, I'd read some user reviews of the Pro-ject, and also of other machines a little more expensive, and take it from there:cool:

Marco.

Marco
25-03-2021, 09:26
Btw, you don't have to go for brand new - check out this site for quality used stuff: https://www.whybuynew.co.uk/accessories/turntable-accessories/v-p-i-industries-hw-16-5-record-cleaning-machine.htm

The VPI shown is what I use, and can vouch for both its efficacy and reliability, plus every single part is available to buy new, separately (from the likes of Analogue Seduction), should something break or wear out:)

Marco.

vinylsnail
26-03-2021, 02:07
Would one of those Pro-ject VS-E machines be ok? 330quid.

The pro-ject is an excellent machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BultyBoy
26-03-2021, 11:25
Thanks. One thing I have noticed is that the start of he records are always the worst. I cleaned them in the disco antistat and my guess is that is where all the fluid/removed dust resettled as its the last place to dry out. Its the vacuum thats missing isn't it - think i will buy a pro-ject machine.

Marco
26-03-2021, 11:34
Thanks. One thing I have noticed is that the start of he records are always the worst. I cleaned them in the disco antistat and my guess is that is where all the fluid/removed dust resettled as its the last place to dry out. Its the vacuum thats missing isn't it - think i will buy a pro-ject machine.

Precisely, muchacho, and I said as much earlier!;)

Good luck with the Pro-ject. I'm sure it'll be great, and if so, be prepared to hear (or rather not:eyebrows:) your records like never before!

Now all you need to consider is which cleaning fluid to use, or whether to make up your own for a fraction of the price... And I can advise on both if necessary:)

Marco.

Jac Hawk
26-03-2021, 13:41
As an alternitive i've found that the ultrasonic cleaning tanks work realy well, Spider who's a member here and the Audio Abattoir makes them.

BultyBoy
26-03-2021, 17:13
I've just sent the Degritter at a mere £2499...

BultyBoy
26-03-2021, 17:26
Seen...

GrahamS
27-03-2021, 12:16

Thing is you see a lot of complaints about some modern re-pressings being inherently noisy. I have one, a re-issue of The Stone Roses first album. It's on red vinyl which doesn't help but even brand new it was noisy. Cleaning on a Moth RCM did not help.
It could have been mastered from a dubbing from a disc or from a lacquer.

GrahamS
27-03-2021, 12:20
I agree but it would take some kind of cleaning machine to remove every single item of debris from the grooves no matter how fastidious one was.
With due respect to the RCM fans, I use the alkaline glue method, and have never had to repeat the process twice. It cleans first time, every time. If any sound pollution remains, it's a fault imbedded in the pressing, not dirt.

Macca
27-03-2021, 12:22
It could have been mastered from a dubbing from a disc or from a lacquer.

Maybe, I have no idea. It was a present. I already had it the album on CD so I've not really much use for it but I suppose it might have some collector value. Only been played twice!

Macca
27-03-2021, 12:24
With due respect to the RCM fans, I use the alkaline glue method, and have never had to repeat the process twice. It cleans first time, every time. If any sound pollution remains, it's a fault imbedded in the pressing, not dirt.

That works too, I've used it on a few records. A lot more hassle than an RCM. Although peeling away the 'skin' is fun.

Marco
27-03-2021, 13:27
Especially if you have 4000-odd records to clean!;)

But whatever works for you works. I certainly wouldn't be putting any of my Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs 180g audiophile pressings, at £50-60 a pop, anywhere near glue!!:eek:

Marco.

Jac Hawk
27-03-2021, 14:08
Glue is ok but it’s messy takes a lot more time and if you have a lot of records it can get expensive, on top of that you need to apply the glue while the record is spinning ideally, so that means either glue near your turntable or a 2nd turntable just for this purpose, as macca said peeling the glue off is fun

GrahamS
27-03-2021, 14:09
Marco, the "glue" is totally benign, and works well. Less risk than some "cleaning" solutions.

Macca
27-03-2021, 14:42
Yes, there is zero damage with the glue method. I'd be fine with using it on expensive records. Although I did try it on a 'sacrificial' record first just to be sure.

if you've got hundreds to do though, get a proper RCM.

Marco
27-03-2021, 14:48
Marco, the "glue" is totally benign, and works well. Less risk than some "cleaning" solutions.

Hi Graham,

Different strokes for different folks mate, enjoy, but it's defo not for me - and besides way too much work with a large record collection!:eek:

Marco.

Marco
27-03-2021, 14:53
Glue is ok but it’s messy takes a lot more time and if you have a lot of records it can get expensive, on top of that you need to apply the glue while the record is spinning ideally, so that means either glue near your turntable or a 2nd turntable just for this purpose, as macca said peeling the glue off is fun

The very thought of the latter, regardless of anything else, fills me with dread!:uhho::wowzer:

My T/T is one of my prized and most cherished possessions. so aside from being dusted rather affectionately every week, the only thing that goes near it is me when playing records, and that's done with two pairs of kid gloves!!:D

Marco.

Macca
27-03-2021, 14:59
buy a cheap tt off ebay, all it has to do is spin round.

You don't need a turntable to apply it anyway, I didn't use one.

struth
27-03-2021, 15:04
buy a cheap tt off ebay, all it has to do is spin round.

You don't need a turntable to apply it anyway, I didn't use one.

a suction cleaner is best value when you have a fair sized collection.. mine is still with me for now as lockdown paused the sale. the moth 2 is an excellent, and reliable machine; even if its noisy

JohnJo
31-03-2021, 17:45

Hi Simon, something doesn’t sound right here, especially the build up through playback. I used to have an RP6/Exact with the Elex-R and it was very quiet. In fact it was the drop in surface noise from the RP3/Elys2 which swung the dearer deck for me. I’ve recently bought an RP8/Exact and it’s equally quiet regarding surface noise. Maybe an issue with cartridge earthing?

Can you run a cable from the earth tab on the back of the amp to the cartridge body to prove?

BultyBoy
01-04-2021, 12:47
Thanks JohnJo. I'll try that as I have seen the amp earth. Where is the earth tab on the cartridge? Thanks.

JohnJo
01-04-2021, 14:30
As far as I know there’s no separate earth connection in Rega decks and it is combined with one of the audio negative connections (left channel negative maybe). I’d try connecting a fine wire to the earth post on the rear of the amp and carefully touching it to the metal cover on the underside of the cartridge whilst playing an album but be very gentle and use an old LP! If there’s no change then earthing may be ok. Or check for continuity with a multimeter from the cartridge metal cover to the earth connection on the amp with the phono leads connected and amp powered off.

eksiil
01-04-2021, 17:42
is dust an issue? if so then it's static & earthing is the cause, in my experience

BultyBoy
02-04-2021, 11:44
OK so I put my multimeter to the metal body and amp earth as it beeped. I then measured the resistance at 3 ohms, touching the meter wires gives 1.2ohms so there is 1.8ohms resistance to earth from the cartridge, what does that mean , is it atypical? Thanks

JohnJo
02-04-2021, 15:20
Just checked mine (RP8/Exact) and got 0.6 ohms after subtracting leads resistance which seems reasonable. I’m not sure why yours is higher. It would be worth phoning Rega and asking their advice.
With a good record there’s typically no surface noise with mine, it’s inky black and I don’t have a cleaning machine, just using an anti-static brush before playing.

BultyBoy
03-04-2021, 09:17
If mine was like that I wouldn't be contemplating ditching vinyl, i'll call rega thanks.

walpurgis
03-04-2021, 09:32
With a good record there’s typically no surface noise with mine, it’s inky black and I don’t have a cleaning machine, just using an anti-static brush before playing.

Yup.

I remember when RCMs were not generally available and those very few that existed were aimed at the professional market and stupidly expensive. The RCM idea was initially regarded as a fad (in my book it still is one :)).

JohnJo
03-04-2021, 09:45
Love your tag line Geoff “ Repeat after me 'I must not look on ebay! I must not look on ebay! I must not look on ebay! I must not look on ebay!” :D

What you see’s what gets you!

walpurgis
03-04-2021, 09:54
:D

walpurgis
03-04-2021, 10:01
I have a sneaking feeling that some may get addicted to using their RCMs and become so hung-up about listening for surface noise, crackles and clicks, that record cleaning becomes obsessive. I could be entirely wrong of course! :)

Barry
03-04-2021, 10:44
I have a sneaking feeling that some may get addicted to using their RCMs and become so hung-up about listening for surface noise, crackles and clicks, that record cleaning becomes obsessive. I could be entirely wrong of course! :)

Rather like those that obsess over VTA/SRA, and adjust their tonearms for each and every record they play.

Macca
03-04-2021, 12:08

If you want to buy used records then an RCM is essential. Not everyone looks after their records. And that used to be by far the cheapest way to build up a decent collection, don't know if it still is.

I turned plenty of LPs bought for a quid each from unlistenable to sounding mint. Records that would cost a tenner in decent s/h condition or £30 each on a fancy new re-issue that probably isn't as good.

Then you've got the savings in stylus wear.

JohnJo
05-04-2021, 18:30
Hmmm, just put on a brand new album, Diana Krall Stepping Out, and side 1 is snap, crackle and pop, terrible. Has improved with a good going over with the brush but still not great. I’ve ordered some cleaning fluid from EBay for use with a cloth, I’ll see if that helps. One other side has some crackle and two sides are silent (double album).

Annoying :steam:

struth
05-04-2021, 18:33
Static can cause it too

JohnJo
05-04-2021, 18:42
Static can cause it too

There is a lot of static on this album as it’s lifting the felt mat when you remove the album.

Any advice on how to deal with it Grant, thanks.

Mixc
05-04-2021, 19:19
I use a "Velvet Vortex" Ultrasonic cleaning machine, and would recomend its use for new or used records.
After a 15 - 20 min clean new records are silent and static free, older records are much quiter dependent on condition. For cleaning soluiton i use the recipe on "London Jazz collector" website to mix my own.
Also got given a DIY vacuum machine which also works well but not as good as the ultrasonic cleaner.

p147
05-04-2021, 20:36
One of the worst culprits is paper inner sleeves or card where I find that the loose fibres can become entrenched in the grooves in which case it will take 2 or 3 runs through the cleaning machine, I always replace with anti-static inner sleeves even new vinyl.

JohnJo
05-04-2021, 20:58
I use a "Velvet Vortex" Ultrasonic cleaning machine, and would recomend its use for new or used records.
After a 15 - 20 min clean new records are silent and static free, older records are much quiter dependent on condition. For cleaning soluiton i use the recipe on "London Jazz collector" website to mix my own.
Also got given a DIY vacuum machine which also works well but not as good as the ultrasonic cleaner.

That’s a neat looking machine, thanks for the heads up.

One of the worst culprits is paper inner sleeves or card where I find that the loose fibres can become entrenched in the grooves in which case it will take 2 or 3 runs through the cleaning machine, I always replace with anti-static inner sleeves even new vinyl.

This new album came in paper sleeves, there was actually paper crud visible on the vinyl which I brushed off. Cracking is reducing with playing and brushing. Might have to get some of those anti-static liners.

JohnJo
09-04-2021, 15:07
I washed the really crackly new Diana Krall LP with this stuff https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RECORD-CLEANER-250ml-BEST-ON-EBAY-1000S-OF-DELIGHTED-CUSTOMERS-WORLDWIDE/264305410285?hash=item3d89d480ed:g:duYAAOSwxKBaAJk-

Then double rinsed it with de-ionised water from Halfords, dried it and put it into these Nagoka anti-static sleeves

https://www.juno.co.uk/products/nagaoka-discfile-102-anti-static-12-vinyl/567502-01/

95% of surface crackling is gone, just the odd noise and I’d swear it sounds better.

Mr Neds
11-04-2021, 15:02
Not sure Bulty, but I think you’re confusing a Disco Antistat machine with an antistatic brush? I’m sorry Marco, but they’re not “ dreadful things”, they actually work very well as many will attest. Many new pressings seem to be somewhat crap, which is why I’m glad that I’ve got enough vinyl to not need to buy them!

BultyBoy
11-04-2021, 15:59
Not sure Bulty, but I think you’re confusing a Disco Antistat machine with an antistatic brush? I’m sorry Marco, but they’re not “ dreadful things”, they actually work very well as many will attest. Many new pressings seem to be somewhat crap, which is why I’m glad that I’ve got enough vinyl to not need to buy them!

I have a brush and disco antistatic, the records look clean but crackle.

struth
11-04-2021, 16:15
i would say there is no comparison of a disco to a proper duel direction vacuum machine imo. (using a good fluid)

Mr Neds
11-04-2021, 16:25
I’m sure you’re right, but for me it was the difference between around £50 and £400 upwards!

struth
11-04-2021, 16:28
I’m sure you’re right, but for me it was the difference between around £50 and £400 upwards!

indeed, prices are fairly high; probably higher than they should be as its just a hoover and a platter motor.. the second hand buys are probably what to look for. i just sold a minty moth for 200.

Marco
11-04-2021, 17:01

No problem, each to his or her own and experience in using them. I stand by my view, based on my experience and comparing the 'Antistat' with an RCM.

When I used one, all it did was move the removed dirt from one area of the record to another, simply because it's got nowhere else to go but trap itself inside the grooves at the point where the fluid rests, and on playback the noise is transferred there accordingly (usually at the edges where records have been left to 'drip dry' on the supplied rack).

And the longer the debris lies there, it solidifies and then becomes even more of a problem...

Whilst these devices can be effective to a degree (depending on the nature of how dirty records are to start with), you simply can't escape from the fact that a vacuum is needed to suck the dirt out of the grooves once records have been cleaned, and which is the ONLY way to achieve truly clean records.

Therefore, if you've spent at least a grand on a decent T/T and have at least a couple of hundred records (hopefully more), then you owe it to yourself to buy an RCM, and as Grant says it doesn't need to be new, there are some great second-hand buys around at a fraction of the price!:cool:

Marco.

Marco
11-04-2021, 17:07

How much did you pay for your turntable arm/cartridge and phono stage in total, and how many records do you have?:)

A list of your full system would also be useful.

Marco.

BultyBoy
11-04-2021, 18:53
Well I will buy an RCM soon as I have decided I definitely keeping the vinyl. So I'm having a clear out of the ones I don't want so I can focus more on ones to buy that I will play. I'm sure the disco just moves it around as stated here.

p147
11-04-2021, 19:06
Well I will buy an RCM soon as I have decided I definitely keeping the vinyl. So I'm having a clear out of the ones I don't want so I can focus more on ones to buy that I will play. I'm sure the disco just moves it around as stated here.

One of the best investments I ever made was to get an RCM then had a big purge on the vinyl.