PDA

View Full Version : WTD: SME Series V arm

Beobloke
12-03-2021, 16:25
I think 36 years is long enough to have waited, and following a few events that make you realise life’s too short to hesitate sometimes, I’ve decided that it’s time I bought myself the arm I’ve always promised myself - an SME V.

I’d like an unmodified one that’s as original as possible - not too worried about age but it must be in excellent condition and complete with its box and all accessories.

So, lovely people, what have you got?!

flapland
12-03-2021, 16:53
Unique Audio might be worth a call. Really surprised you haven't had one before, I love mine for its look, sound and of course build quality.

Beobloke
12-03-2021, 19:00
Good point - I forgot about them; thanks! Email sent...

Blackdog
12-03-2021, 20:43
Try the former Canadian distributor. I believe he may still have new stock at really good prices.
www.smetonearms.com

Dawg
13-03-2021, 01:20
Good luck with your search Adam, I hope you find one at a good price, I paid £1500 new in the 90's, why are they now on sale for 8k!!!! https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SME-Series-V-Tonearm-Each-Black/313450545592?hash=item48fb1bc1b8:g:T28AAOSwTSlgSfk D I wish I had kept mine, just to make some money! I had it on a Gyrodec with an ortafon mc30 supreme, jeez they have gone up too, paid £300 for that. The trouble I had was every recording was laid out bare and I had to find the best audiophile pressings in the best version available, it was not a happy experience. My favourite genres were all shit recordings, it stopped me listening to my music. To be honest if you dont find one at a fair price I would stick with something like an RB300, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rega-rb300-tonearm/174671821294?hash=item28ab4079ee:g:N3oAAOSwR5lgRX6 s this guy says he could end the auction early which as we know is code for I will take an offer to avoid paying fees, ask him where it is "advertised locally" Then use the money you have saved to take your loved ones on holiday when all the shit ends. I now have an old Pioneer deck with a cheap cartridge and I am so happy with the sound, knocks the socks off my squeezebox Touch and my modified SB receiver, I guess its that old saying, the more you open the window the more shit comes in......

Beobloke
13-03-2021, 11:11
It’s OK, I do already have an SME 309 and, to be honest, that does about 80% of everything that a V does. I’ll be keeping the 309 as I’m sure I can find another deck to put it on... [emoji6]

It’s just that the V is something I’ve always promised myself and recent happenings in life have just made me think I’ve waited long enough.

Dawg
13-03-2021, 11:21
I know what you mean, good luck finding one at an affordable price, I think its disgusting what some people are charging for them, I've seen them cheaper with a sme turntable included.

WullieD20
13-03-2021, 11:34
Have you been here: Vinyl Passion (https://www.hifi-forsale.co.uk/moreinfo.php?prod_title=SME_Special_build_V_&_IV_TONEARMS&p=tone_arm&prod_id=83086&offset=) ?

WESTLOWER
13-03-2021, 13:37
Mik is the man at Unique Audio for SME

fordy
13-03-2021, 16:33
PM sent

Vrajbasi
16-03-2021, 14:20
I would give Mik a call on his land line number on his website, I tried using his contact form on Unique Audio yesterday there seems to be an issue. I purchased another brand new series V of him recently he certainly the man no one in the UK most likely the world has his stock and knowledge.

hifi_dave
16-03-2021, 16:33
Good luck with your search Adam, I hope you find one at a good price, I paid £1500 new in the 90's, why are they now on sale for 8k!!!! https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SME-Series-V-Tonearm-Each-Black/313450545592?hash=item48fb1bc1b8:g:T28AAOSwTSlgSfk D I wish I had kept mine, just to make some money! I had it on a Gyrodec with an ortafon mc30 supreme, jeez they have gone up too, paid £300 for that. The trouble I had was every recording was laid out bare and I had to find the best audiophile pressings in the best version available, it was not a happy experience. My favourite genres were all shit recordings, it stopped me listening to my music. To be honest if you dont find one at a fair price I would stick with something like an RB300, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rega-rb300-tonearm/174671821294?hash=item28ab4079ee:g:N3oAAOSwR5lgRX6 s this guy says he could end the auction early which as we know is code for I will take an offer to avoid paying fees, ask him where it is "advertised locally" Then use the money you have saved to take your loved ones on holiday when all the shit ends. I now have an old Pioneer deck with a cheap cartridge and I am so happy with the sound, knocks the socks off my squeezebox Touch and my modified SB receiver, I guess its that old saying, the more you open the window the more shit comes in......
They became ridiculously expensive a few years back when the company was sold and a distributor taken on. The prices doubled overnight, just because of the distributor markup. I believe SME no longer sell arms on their own, only fitted on their turntables. They are aiming for the export market and not UK sales.

Beobloke
18-03-2021, 12:50
Just wanted to say thankyou to everyone for their thoughts and advice - my very first SME V arm is currently on its way to me!

:dance:

struth
18-03-2021, 12:53
good to see someone happy.. ask, see, buy, dance... its that easy folks:eek:

Dawg
18-03-2021, 13:29
Fantastic! Some very nice people here.