PDA

View Full Version : WTD. Large Horn Speakers Altec or JBL

nickv
06-03-2021, 13:39
I've got a large room to fill with sound and am looking for decent Altec or JBL Horn speakers. 15 inch woofers, to move some air around. Budget is £2k max. Please let me know if you have, or know of anything suitable. I can collect. I'm based in Kent. Thanks!

Bethelcat
07-03-2021, 15:31
There is a pair of Kef 105/3 speakers for sale on eBay, located in London, for c£800. These were excellent with a good bass heft

Lawrence001
07-03-2021, 16:54
There is a pair of Kef 105/3 speakers for sale on eBay, located in London, for c£800. These were excellent with a good bass heft

Good speakers but nothing to do with horns!

hifinutt
07-03-2021, 17:35
how about these ?

https://www.hifi-forsale.co.uk/moreinfo.php?prod_title=club_27_audio_amy_(12%22_b astani_drivers)&p=speaker&prod_id=88932&offset=

https://www.club-27.com/diy-speakers/horn-speaker-amy

nickv
07-03-2021, 18:51
Thanks for the recommendation Phil. I've never even heard of these Audio Amy speakers. A kit is not an option for me as I'm a totally useless at electronics, but the built version is really interesting. I love the blond birch ply. Have you heard these by any chance?

I must admit I was looking for a 15" woofer plus horns in a big square-ish box as I love that brutal look and if honest I want JBL but don't have the money. But I'm now going to do some research on Audio Amy. My room is 8x8x2.4m. It's my art studio, a workspace, not my home, but we have music on all day. So listening at modest volumes while we have people around is important, but I crank it up when I'm on my own. Do you think these are 'man' enough to fill that space?

Thanks again.

Dylanthecat
07-03-2021, 19:53
Hi Nick, if running with valves the vintage Klipsch can be found in your budget. When matched correctly they are a wonder even at low volume. I have Hersey, Forte and Chorus.
I should have added that they will kick your windows out if your crank them up.

Bethelcat
07-03-2021, 20:19
Good speakers but nothing to do with horns!

Not a problem; your title said, ‘horns OR JBLs’ (my emphasis) so was only looking to broaden the field for you

Good luck with your search

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nickv
07-03-2021, 20:29
David - I appreciate your input and apologies if setting a muddled brief. I think I do want horns.

Martin - Klipsch scare me a little as they have been described as harsh and my room is full of hard surfaces, but I will not discount them. I think my approach will be get some decent speakers and then experiment with the amps and pre-amps I have. Then if I am hearing harshness I'll come back on the forum and scream for (more) help. I'm still looking...

anubisgrau
07-03-2021, 21:59
how about these ?

https://www.hifi-forsale.co.uk/moreinfo.php?prod_title=club_27_audio_amy_(12%22_b astani_drivers)&p=speaker&prod_id=88932&offset=

https://www.club-27.com/diy-speakers/horn-speaker-amy

interesting speaker, bastanis mid/bass driver crossoverless, phenolic diaphragm HF crossed with a single capacitor
a classic econowave design.
the asking price is a bit steep imho, 1200 GBP more realistic.
i expect this to play better than an average klipsch

Lawrence001
07-03-2021, 22:23
interesting speaker, bastanis mid/bass driver crossoverless, phenolic diaphragm HF crossed with a single capacitor
a classic econowave design.
the asking price is a bit steep imho, 1200 GBP more realistic.
i expect this to play better than an average klipschYes I was discussing these with the last owner before this new guy bought them. I'm pretty sure they were under a grand, then this guy bought them and listed them within days at an even higher price than this initially.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

Lawrence001
07-03-2021, 22:28
Not a problem; your title said, ‘horns OR JBLs’ (my emphasis) so was only looking to broaden the field for you

Good luck with your search

Sent from my iPad using TapatalkI'm not the OP, just a casual observer. I read it as "horns (altec or JBL)" rather than "horns (altec) or JBL" if you follow me.

Anyway, still a good recommendation for some great speakers with an interesting bass loading, which I did find from experience quite similar sounding "in room" to a rear horn loading.

nickv
08-03-2021, 01:11
Thanks for all the suggestions so far. Much appreciated. I'm still hankering after Altec 19 or something with a 15 inch woofer and horns. I can't get past big bass = big speaker.

graham67
08-03-2021, 08:56
Martin - Klipsch scare me a little as they have been described as harsh and my room is full of hard surfaces, but I will not discount them.
I have heard a few old school klipsch models and they have never sou ded harsh. Rather they have sounded quite warm but dynamic.
Definitely an acquired taste but worth a listen as they are very different from the norm.

walpurgis
08-03-2021, 09:12
I have heard a few old school klipsch models and they have never sou ded harsh. Rather they have sounded quite warm but dynamic.
Definitely an acquired taste but worth a listen as they are very different from the norm.

I agree. Klipsch can be every bit as enjoyable as big Altecs or JBLs (or Tannoys)

Bethelcat
08-03-2021, 09:25
Thanks for all the suggestions so far. Much appreciated. I'm still hankering after Altec 19 or something with a 15 inch woofer and horns. I can't get past big bass = big speaker.

Teehee...wholly agree with big speakers for big bass but doesn’t necessarily need 15”

My Genesis Technology 201s are most capable
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210308/443d7983841bc513996caa370a24e33d.jpg

Macca
08-03-2021, 09:37
Thanks for the recommendation Phil. I've never even heard of these Audio Amy speakers. A kit is not an option for me as I'm a totally useless at electronics, but the built version is really interesting. I love the blond birch ply. Have you heard these by any chance?

I must admit I was looking for a 15" woofer plus horns in a big square-ish box as I love that brutal look and if honest I want JBL but don't have the money. But I'm now going to do some research on Audio Amy. My room is 8x8x2.4m. It's my art studio, a workspace, not my home, but we have music on all day. So listening at modest volumes while we have people around is important, but I crank it up when I'm on my own. Do you think these are 'man' enough to fill that space?

Thanks again.

Any large floorstanding speaker will fill that space pretty easily, you don't need horn loading for that unless you also want to use an amp that has very low power.

If you want deep bass I'd look at a transmission line design rather than a horn. Driver size is not related to depth of bass or deep bass power. The Altecs and JBL designs you are thinking of don't do low bass at all, neither do Klipsch, but they do have 'presence' and sound effortless.

Lawrence001
08-03-2021, 09:43
Good idea, I'd recommend the IMF TLS80s, I loved my time with them.

Macca
08-03-2021, 10:31
Yes, IMF or TDL would be a good shout.

With a big space like that there's plenty of scope to set up the speakers well away from rear and side walls. Superb results could be obtained with a wide variety of speakers. Doesn't need to be horns, just something large with good power handling.

hifinutt
08-03-2021, 12:55

Thanks again.

yes i have heard some of these , they were good and yes they will fill that space big time

hifinutt
08-03-2021, 12:56
another set of horns today , great vfm

https://www.hifi-forsale.co.uk/moreinfo.php?prod_title=Impulse_Lali&p=speaker&prod_id=89037&offset=

anubisgrau
08-03-2021, 14:58
Yes I was discussing these with the last owner before this new guy bought them. I'm pretty sure they were under a grand, then this guy bought them and listed them within days at an even higher price than this initially.

If you put a hype of "Bastanis driver" aside, I'm sure you can source all the drivers and parts for under 600 grand, probably less. How much you need for a birch ply cabinet in the UK I have no idea. There's a plenty of info about this concept on the net.

Lawrence001
08-03-2021, 15:48
True and many of the Bastanis drivers are Eminence woofers with a varnish applied and some little pucks (for want of a better name) stuck on to dampen the response. Not disparaging the difficulty or effect of doing this mod mind you.

sailor
08-03-2021, 21:00
Hi Nick, the Altec model 19 would fill that space without breaking a sweat. They employ one of the best mid/bass drivers available, the 416. I have not heard better. Great Plains Audio still produce them. 101dB sensitivity. This is also one of the very very few drivers that is able to play at low volume without losing the plot.

Paradoxically for a 15" driver the bass does not go very low but makes up for it with awesome tone and clout. It is possible to find a modern 6" or 8" driver that will go lower but to achieve this, sensitivity is lost. With the 3 main requirements being: good sensitivity, low bass and size, you can pick any 2, that's it unfortunately.

The choice of small diameter and low bass requirement means a lack of sensitivity necessitating huge power input. Average for a small driver is 86dB, a 15dB difference!

So an 8W amp could produce 110dB on the Altec but would require 256W on the 86dB speaker which would not be happy. Then there is the sound. There is no replacement for displacement.

You are in the fortunate position of having the space to use and appreciate the Altec line. There is also the Altec VOTT A5 or A7 and the Altec 604 which is a co-ax like the Tannoys. Lots of fun. They need to be heard. Little speakers have their place but simply can not produce the effortless sound the big ones can.

nickv
09-03-2021, 11:06
That's what I thought Charles, in my naivety maybe, but a 15" speaker will have more presence in my large space. The domestic looking tower floorstanders may be lower in the bass range and as some have 3 woofers I guess they do go low. Maybe it's a machismo thing but I want to try a big squarish box with 15" woofers and with horns.

Finding some for £2,000 is my challenge.

Macca
09-03-2021, 12:15
You could possibly find some 15'' Tannoys for that budget. They tick all the boxes you have.

Don't think there is much if any chance of finding the Altecs in this country. Plenty available in the USA but all for over £4K. Plus shipping, duty, VAT...

nickv
09-03-2021, 12:27
Many thanks Martin and Charles.

What about buying these and sending them for a service and checkover?:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184676919973?ul_noapp=true

Dylanthecat
09-03-2021, 12:38
You could possibly find some 15'' Tannoys for that budget. They tick all the boxes you have.
Don't think there is much if any chance of finding the Altecs in this country. Plenty available in the USA but all for over £4K. Plus shipping, duty, VAT...

Maybe a pair of Arden though the challenge would be finding a pair under £2K. A large pair of Altecs horns (studio monitors) sold locally a few years back but I gather that they sold for nearer £10K. Supply and demand is the issue. Good luck with the search. 4 weeks earlier and I knew of a pair of Lancaster up for grabs well within your budget.

PS be very wary on duty charges, they are determined on market valve (UK) not what you paid for them!

walpurgis
09-03-2021, 12:38
Many thanks Martin and Charles.

What about buying these and sending them for a service and checkover?:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184676919973?ul_noapp=true

Be very wary of these, they are not an original model and are an assortment of unmatched bits, not something I'd get involved with. Goodness knows why those horrible piezo tweeters are there.

walpurgis
09-03-2021, 12:52
Personally, I think a pair of Kralk TDB-12 would probably offer most of what you want at a comparatively modest price. You may find members willing to sell theirs.

Review: http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0918/Kralk_Audio_TDB_12_Studio_Monitor_Review.htm#:~:te xt=Live%2C%20bouncy%2C%20fun%20and%20loads,me%20th an%20I'd%20expected.

https://i.ibb.co/ZNN71Yp/Screen-Shot-03-09-21-at-12-50-PM.png (https://ibb.co/KmmSzLp)

nickv
09-03-2021, 13:08
Thx. I'll steer clear.

I could get these collected from Italy, but the Brexit costs scare me a little...Ignore the grills, these are home made.

https://usato.audiograffiti.com/annunci/diffusori-acustici/246579/

Or these

https://usato.audiograffiti.com/annunci/diffusori-acustici/250290/

Or these:

https://usato.audiograffiti.com/annunci/diffusori-acustici/252982/

Getting them from Italy doesn't phase me as I know of couriers that could collect. The language and getting ripped off is a bit of a worry, but I can take careful steps to ensure these are genuine sales.

Then there are these in the UK I could try to get for £2K, but I prefer the horn away from the driver...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/402416534318

Really appreciate everyone's input. Getting them from Italy may be less complex than from the USA.

Macca
09-03-2021, 13:53
Importing from Italy you'll pay 20% vat on the total of the sale price plus the freight charges. And a broker fee of around £12. No duty. So those first ones you linked will end up costing you over £3k

If you really have to have Altecs then it looks like the only way to go.

Or you could save a few bob and nip over to Chippenham and get these which IMO will be in a different class entirely https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-JBL-High-End-Hi-Fi-Speakers/193942353974?hash=item2d27dd7836:g:zkwAAOSwBipgRkH Y

sailor
09-03-2021, 15:59
Hi Nick, from the link you provided to the Altec 605A, I notice when zooming in on the driver mounting that there is something odd going on. The 604 I mentioned and the 605 are virtually the same but they deserve a better box. I would not pay that price for them if I could not hear them. There are a couple of screws missing below the L-pad and the side hand-grips suggest pro use and may need remagnetising. If you can build I recommend a Karlson enclosure for these.

Compared to a Tannoy MG15 the 604/5 hit harder with more slam and possesses lots of that Alnico magic. The Tannoy IMO has a nicer midrange. I mention the MG15 because I own a pair and is the only Tannoy I've heard.

Looking at the other links from Italy I would be inclined to go with the Valencias, try knock the price down a little. I fondly remember 4 of these in a club pounding out Marley and Tosh at dangerous levels. The last link (from Italy) shows what looks like a good quality rebuild and is the cheapest there. I can't comment on this as I don't recognise it.

Great Plains Audio in USA are still producing new drivers and have spares for most. If you want to clone a model 19 (who wouldn't) GPA will have the parts, or they used to. This is THE Altec to get. Astonishingly good and makes one wonder just what the hell the designers have been doing all these years. Grab a pair regardless of condition, knowing you can obtain anything needed to sort them out. If you come across a pair and not interested, please let me know :eek:

Plenty of reviews on the net and lots on tweaking cabs and crossovers.

sailor
09-03-2021, 16:15
I have just seen the link Martin provided and agree are worth considering. A listen is recommended if possible.

I do however disagree that they will be in a different class. They will certainly sound different using small diameter drivers and Titanium tweeter.

nickv
09-03-2021, 17:01
I've got a call booked with the owners of the Altec Valencia's tonight.

More pictures here:

About picture: this is the link

https://postimg.cc/gallery/5QxywCH

The seller is an audio engineer, so I imagine these have been well used but he is currently using them in his own house as 'hi-fi' speakers.

Charles, will parts be available for the Valencia's too?

The seller has offered a What's App audition. It's crazy buying speakers after listening down my phone. Crazy, but I am enjoying the madness. An adventure. Shipping =300 Euro's on pallets. If I get stung by customs I guess the price could increase by 25%. Still within my budget...

Or I sit tight and wait...

In the words of David Byrne. Patience is a virtue. But I don't have the time.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Macca
09-03-2021, 17:20
I have just seen the link Martin provided and agree are worth considering. A listen is recommended if possible.

I do however disagree that they will be in a different class. They will certainly sound different using small diameter drivers and Titanium tweeter.

Yes fair play I was in a hurry when I posted that. They will be different and will go deeper in the bass. Plus looking at the ad again there's no pics of the actual speakers for sale so they are possibly in a poor state. Otherwise would be tempted myself.

walpurgis
09-03-2021, 17:31
I must admit, I could be tempted by Valencias. I rather liked those I've head (a long time ago).

nickv
09-03-2021, 17:47
I'm listening to old speakers in the large room now, and they work fine - Celestion 44's. Just want to see if I can get a more full and moving sound. It's fun, all this experimenting...

Do you think I'll be able to get parts for the Valencia's? They doo look old...

sailor
09-03-2021, 22:01
Just do it, you will not be sorry. If the seller is an audio engineer find out if he's made any changes. Compression driver (CD) diaphragms sometimes get changed on site and not always with the correct units. Other than that you are dealing with a real quality woofer, which is actually 16" OD, a compression driver and a crossover. All available from GPA (new price)

The Valencias are big sound and lots of fun and unless heard are often passed over because of their size and shape suggesting disco speakers. Mistake! They make music. As mentioned plenty on the net where you will find some crossover mods and perhaps changing the CD for one that will work at a lower XO point. To be clear none of this is necessary but the option exists. A XO at about 1200Hz is used I think. This is a clever choice for general use and protects the CD somewhat from damage. Remember these things are designed to be cranked, but in a domestic situation a XO at 500Hz sounds nicer and there is still no fear of damage. Your neighbours will know when to back off. A different CD will be needed for this job.

@Martin, If you come across a pair of JBL2226 15" grab them with both hands. Almost unbreakable in pro use. Loved for their powerful controlled bass performance but getting expensive now.

nickv
11-03-2021, 10:59
Hi AOS

I have 3 options at the moment:

So it looks like I can get Altec Valencia from Italy for 2,100 Euro including delivery, but excluding import and VAT. I had a video call with the seller. All seems in order. I guess I need to budget 30% more for import duties and VAT when coming into the UK. So a bit over budget, but am tempted.

There are a pair of tannoys in new cabinets I like the look of on Ebay:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294051425014

Plus some Altec 605A in new but original spec cabinets on Ebay:

What do you think will be best for my 8x8x2.4 m hard surfaced room? Or should I sit tight and wait...

Many thanks.

walpurgis
11-03-2021, 11:21
The Tannoys look good, but the drivers are later ceramic magnet jobs, not Golds or HPDs etc. Not that it's a problem, they ought to be very nice and pretty potent. They won't do bass extremes, but you probably wouldn't really notice. Bear in mind that the only GRF part is the (apparently) copied horn cabinet.

paulfromcamden
11-03-2021, 11:29
Just as another option, have you contacted Hi-Fi Do in Japan?

Obviously shipping cost will be substantial but they seem to regularly get in the kind of speakers you're interested in.

Macca
11-03-2021, 12:46
Hi AOS

So it looks like I can get Altec Valencia from Italy for 2,100 Euro including delivery, but excluding import and VAT. I had a video call with the seller. All seems in order. I guess I need to budget 30% more for import duties and VAT when coming into the UK. So a bit over budget, but am tempted.

There's no duty on goods coming from the EU, just VAT at 20% and broker fee which shouldn't be more than £14.

Pound quite strong against the Euro right now too so I think you should go for it.

Lawrence001
11-03-2021, 13:50
There's no duty on goods coming from the EU, just VAT at 20% and broker fee which shouldn't be more than £14.

Pound quite strong against the Euro right now too so I think you should go for it.

I'm pretty sure there are import duties from the EU, unless speakers are a zero rated good.

struth
11-03-2021, 14:06
no, no duty afaik. unless the origin of goods is somewhere outwith eu, and eu deal countries i think. the rest of world without a uk deal is i think 3.5%.

Martin will know for sure as he works with this sort of thing

nickv
11-03-2021, 14:29
Thanks guys! Do you think the Altec Valencia's are my best choice?

Macca
11-03-2021, 14:29
I'm pretty sure there are import duties from the EU, unless speakers are a zero rated good.

No, there's no duty importing anything from EU to UK or UK to EU. Only VAT.

Lawrence001
11-03-2021, 18:16
https://www.theguardian.com/money/2021/jan/21/eu-website-purchases-the-import-charges-uk-customers-have-to-pay

Macca
12-03-2021, 07:39
https://www.theguardian.com/money/2021/jan/21/eu-website-purchases-the-import-charges-uk-customers-have-to-pay

The Guardian being disingenuous, if not just simply wrong, did you click the link they gave to tariffs?

Lawrence001
12-03-2021, 08:37
No I didn't I thought they'd at least get that right and not spread blatant lies about post Brexit duties.

anubisgrau
12-03-2021, 10:40
A pair of Altec 19 was sold near me, the asking price was 4,200. Whatever they were sold for it's too much.

nickv
12-03-2021, 14:33
Certainly is for me Gordan...

richluvsound
05-04-2021, 19:41
Hi Nick ,

I think I understand what you're after . Sorry to say you'll not find a JBL or Altec for that money .... The closest you'll get is a coaxial 604e or something like that .... If you can build the cabinets you could get close buying Altec parts .

You can find Tannoy Golds for around £2k but still you'll need to build an Onken cabinet . Not sure you'll get high SPL , but you'd get a fab sound to fill the studio.

There's some modern PA gear that will work very well too , but for that money youre looking at something you wont get the a kind history to it .

I built some JBL's for my Peckham studio a few years ago , but I had to be patient and spend a few months hunting parts at prices I could afford .

JBL 4345 .... Built from Scratch and the 4333a were found on eBay from an old studio .

Good luck on your search and drop me a line if theres anything I can do to help .

Sorry its such a crap image ..... try this : http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?15255-Another-4345-pair-is-coming-to-UK/page3

Richard

nickv
05-04-2021, 20:45
Now you're talking Richard. That's a speaker alright. Would you consider making me a pair to commission? Or is my budget not realistic?

thx

dgolh
06-04-2021, 07:02
No, there's no duty importing anything from EU to UK or UK to EU. Only VAT.

In fact many people are afraid of import taxes, but they are either very low or even don't apply but you're right the real problem is VAT on price of goods and shipping costs. Unless you can find something cheaper in Europe by a margin of 25-30% , there is no point in buying outside UK (this is true the other way, I was interested in buying a 2nd hand DAC in UK but its price would have been on par with a new one in UE).

Hap Hazzard
06-04-2021, 07:40
These any good, but they may be gone not sure.

https://audioabattoir.com/t/fs-jbl-l300-speakers/10065

walpurgis
06-04-2021, 08:01
These any good, but they may be gone not sure.

https://audioabattoir.com/t/fs-jbl-l300-speakers/10065

Heard those a few times. They just sounded wrong to me, badly coloured and inaccurate.

Hap Hazzard
06-04-2021, 08:09
Heard those a few times. They just sounded wrong to me, badly coloured and inaccurate.

Not heard them myself , so I don’t know, but they seemed to fit what he was looking for. :)

Filterlab
06-04-2021, 14:22
Teehee...wholly agree with big speakers for big bass but doesn’t necessarily need 15”

My Genesis Technology 201s are most capable
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210308/443d7983841bc513996caa370a24e33d.jpg

:lol: They're most certainly NOT small though!

Magna Audio
09-04-2021, 16:44
Hi AOS

There are a pair of tannoys in new cabinets I like the look of on Ebay:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294051425014

Plus some Altec 605A in new but original spec cabinets on Ebay:

What do you think will be best for my 8x8x2.4 m hard surfaced room? Or should I sit tight and wait...

Many thanks.Hehe those GRF replica cabs are my first ever effort! Mitred corners.
They are actually 21mm Scandinavian birch plywood and a 21+24mm front baffle.
They are indeed 3828 ceramic magnet drivers.
I re-surrounded the foam.

I also had HPDs in them for a while.

I'd forgotten I double panelled the rear, but yep, remember that now too.

I have a picture of my young daughter sitting inside the mitre joined sides during construction. Happy days.

I sold them years ago after making my mself a pair of curved top and bottom ones for the HPDs.

The room you have would love my 5 way horn system. Raal tweeters, Vitavox S2s Le Clèac'h upper mid horns, JBL driver tractrix mid horns, 12" mid bass exponential and 15" sub tapped horns.
Horns do incredible deep & fast bass but need to be tapped or something like Lab12 sub cabs or 15-20m long.
Moved on a lot since conicals and Scalford show.
Le Clèac'h profile horns on the upper mid are divine.

Not for sale though[emoji23]

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210409/1598866106ee9837bc555867d07f3a94.jpg

nickv
10-04-2021, 17:10
Amazing. looks like something from Terry Gilliam.

Magna Audio
10-04-2021, 22:22
Used to be vertical in previous house

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210410/0e0301d0854bc683c72077a969bfa102.jpg

I'll play the Monty Python theme tune on them next time.

If you are a DIY'er & have the time, you can build it up over time.
Really nice drivers can get expensive though. Amps and DSP to control not too bad.
I mostly stream with Qobuz.

Lawrence001
11-04-2021, 09:18
I had to look at tapped horn as, although I've heard of them, I didn't know what they were. It seems it involves delaying the output of the rear wave to be in phase with the front wave at some frequency to supplement the output. This sounds like an transmission line to me, is there a conceptual difference?

(I don't want to hijack the thread but it does seem relevant to the question, so just a simple explanation will suffice please, not a debate about the pros and cons!)

Magna Audio
11-04-2021, 12:14
I had to look at tapped horn as, although I've heard of them, I didn't know what they were. It seems it involves delaying the output of the rear wave to be in phase with the front wave at some frequency to supplement the output. This sounds like an transmission line to me, is there a conceptual difference?

(I don't want to hijack the thread but it does seem relevant to the question, so just a simple explanation will suffice please, not a debate about the pros and cons!)Pretty much spot on description
To my mind they differ to TL designs in that with the tapped horn the front pressure wave (large cone speaker in compression driver application) joins forces in the same physical space as the rear pressure wave.
Once joined, they share the same final horn exit section.
The back sound pressure wave neatly fills in a common dip in dB you find in other back loaded systems and there is no difference in time alignment (front and rear) since they are timed to join forces.

They are good for 20-100'ish Hz flat.
Minne are 105dB/W.
I use them with a LR 6th order X/O at 90Hz.
I did initially have them on 2nd order passives (BIG inductors and capacitors and Zobel required).
Like that at Scalford 2012 (was it?).
Some power amps can do all that though these days.
I used Antimode room correction back then. Helped with room modes you get in normal sized rooms.
Now I use an active DSP solution and time align all channels.

Danley Sound Labs was the inventor/pioneer.
He is truly innovative.

These days I have them on a heavy Cerwin Vega 500wpc into 8 ohms power amp >250 damping factor. Earlier on I was under controlling them!
Although maximum cone excursion is only 1.6mm at 105dB in the tapped horns, you need very fast move and stop, and fast move control.
Choosing the right driver for a tapped horn is key.
It's the type of amp you would never use on Hi-fi mid range or normal speaker frequencies.
On deep bass, no problem.

You can't really talk horns without getting into the knitty gritty and derailing[emoji23]

I'm loosely trying to work out if I could build a Western Electric 12a type, wide frequency mid range horn..
Could range from 80Hz to 8000Hz or more, with the right driver, but they are pretty big! That would only be a 3 way [emoji846] still use the Raal tweeters on top.
Not sure I'd get the grunt of the long exponential mid bass horns with 12"drivers, or e punch of the JBL 2482 large compression drivers on the mids, or the speed and tone of the Vitavox S2's on upper mid though.
Everything is a trade off.

jamington2004
11-04-2021, 15:28
I noticed you mentioned you were considering Club Amy. I’m contemplating moving on my much nicer Bastanis Wildhorn ;) originally commissioned by the UK dealer at the time for demo purposes.

They’re DIY but definitely on the professional side. They are now only available prebuilt from Bastanis for £10k and these are the same without the fancy veneer :)

Scroll down here a little way on this thread, and there’s a nice pic of the actual speaker (with the round tweeter housing) with the dealer DJGROOVYDAWG introducing himself and putting the word out on the range at the time

https://www.hifiwigwam.com/forum/topic/96478-first-speaker-build-begins/page/10/

Here’s the ad where he sold them to the guy I bought from recently. not sure why the pics aren’t all loading https://www.hifi-forsale.co.uk/mobile/moreinfo.php?pid=59925

Would be within your original budget let me know if any interest (am in Portslade Sussex)

Kind regards
Jamie