PDA

View Full Version : Anybody modded a PS3?

leo
01-08-2010, 16:43
Ok, been trying the PS3 again as a source for my dacs, although these are quite convenient and easy ish to use I feel the sound is quite average and lacking behind a modified cheap Squeezebox Duet.
So has anybody actually modded a PS3? if so is it worth it? does it have potential ?
The one I have is the fat one, has anybody compared it to the new one using the digital out only? I have no interest in the analogue outputs :)

Ian Walker
01-08-2010, 17:34
Hi Leo,

I've got both the fat and slim PS3 and have found the newer slim to sound the better. I'm told the slim has a new single ended dac? which was introduced by Sony due to complaints about the poor sound quality of the older fat machine.

Although the slim sounds better to me I still found it to be lacking in drive and scale....thin sounding and in the box if you know what I mean. I tried all sorts of dacs with both players but none gave me what I was after. I then took advice from Nick (Lurcher) who suggested a valve buffer stage. This is a unity gain buffer so supposedly no extra gain but it's amazing how much louder and BIGGER the sound is through this. Not only that but also much more texture and atmosphere to the sound, too.

I've always loved what the PS3 can do and feel its not taken seriously enough by people...it tends to be passed off as just a games console. I'm happy now that with Nicks buffer in place it's now a pretty top notch front end.

I'm sure Nick would be happy to let you have the circuit to try this yourself.

Regards,
Ian.

leo
03-08-2010, 16:21
Thanks Ian, I was thinking gut the PS3 and modify. I've had a few people mail me asking if it can be modified internally, things like improving the psu's and converting the optical out to co-axial , maybe even re-clock it.
I've not been inside the PS3 yet or even seen any detailed pics so its hard to see how much potential it has.

Cheers,
Leo,

swampy
04-08-2010, 11:36
Ian...

Myself and Mr Hewitt did a quick compare to my WDTV HD box which plays flac files natively without the need to use a PC and the transcoding software. Both were also tested using an isoDAC on optical.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=734

The ps3 sounded typically digital and edgy in nature were-as the WDTV sounded very analogue-ish, just like a good turntable. Depends on what sound you want but to my ears the ps3 can be a bit sharp and too digital sounding esp with its internal DAC.

Maybe adding a tube buffer adds colour to the sound and should also act as an impedance matcher. It would tame any digital nasties.

lurcher
04-08-2010, 11:44
I think in ians case its more the impedance matching that does the job. The buffer in question is flat up to about a Mhz, and distortion products are down at the -90dB range. Certainly no Lampizator SRPP warmth :-)

swampy
04-08-2010, 12:35
Never really been a fan of srpp stages, tried a few in the past. Useful if you need tons of gain I guess. Is the buffer a single tube cathode follower type circuit.

leo
04-08-2010, 16:18
Ian...

Myself and Mr Hewitt did a quick compare to my WDTV HD box which plays flac files natively without the need to use a PC and the transcoding software. Both were also tested using an isoDAC on optical.

The ps3 sounded typically digital and edgy in nature were-as the WDTV sounded very analogue-ish, just like a good turntable. Depends on what sound you want but to my ears the ps3 can be a bit sharp and too digital sounding esp with its internal DAC.

Maybe adding a tube buffer adds colour to the sound and should also act as an impedance matcher. It would tame any digital nasties.

Hi David,

Can the WDTV play and output hi-res files 96-192k ?

Cheers,
Leo

lurcher
04-08-2010, 16:48
Never really been a fan of srpp stages, tried a few in the past. Useful if you need tons of gain I guess. Is the buffer a single tube cathode follower type circuit.

Yes, its similar to Allen Wrights "Super Linear Cathode Followers". Its a cathode follower with a split power supply and support triodes. One triode as a CCS provides an active load for the cathode follower, and one on top with a voltage shifter to provide a tracking voltage on top of the anode. So the current is held constant by the bottom triode, and the voltage across the valve is held constant by the top triode, so the CF in the middle has nothing to do but match impedances. Its op point is static so there is no mechanism to create distortion. Hence the low distortion, the input is just driving a pair of grids with unity gain, so there is no miller capacitance. Hence the high bandwidth.

Ian Walker
04-08-2010, 18:10
I couldnt have described it better myself:scratch: :lol:

swampy
04-08-2010, 20:10
Hi David,

Can the WDTV play and output hi-res files 96-192k ?

Cheers,
Leo

Not sure as I don't have any to test but I read on another forum it supports 24 bit upto 192k but with an external DAC. There is a WDTV forum so maybe worth a trawl through.

http://community.wdc.com/

WD make about 5 models, the lite is about £35 which omits the hdmi and internal dac stereo RCA outputs, still has optical though. Mine is HDTV version, the next model up with the extra RCA out L+R and hdmi at £75 ish. The other models have network capability etc. Comparison table here...

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/index.asp?cat=30

I wanted a solution that does not need a PC being switched on, plays all audio formats natively, or need a ps3 as I don't play console games. Add a 1 or 2 pen drives or SSD and its 100% silent.. no fan inside the box... just a heat sink.

leo
06-08-2010, 23:13
Thanks David, I'll have a browse :) I've seen these devices a few times but never seen much info

dave2010
09-08-2010, 10:03
fan of srpp stagessrpp?

Re WDTV this has been quite highly recommended. However, I had one last year, and it didn't do what I wanted. It wouldn't play video files from two different new cameras - one Canon and one Panasonic Lumix - two different newish formats. I found that an Apple iMac would easily do that.

There was apparently a fix involving software, but I didn't buy the thing in order to have to convert all my files - I just wanted it to work. I could probably have got the files working with conversion software from my computers anyway - but that was not what I wanted to do.

Bought from Amazon, so sent back after 6-7 days for a refund. The WDTV models may have improved since, but if tempted, buy online and use the grace period (Distance Selling regs or if Amazon, their guarantee) to test, and send back if no good for you. I think whether you find the WDTVs good will depend what you want to do with them, and what alternatives you have. My iMac solution did cost nearly £1k more.

aquapiranha
09-08-2010, 11:09
Ian...

Hi David. I have just had a look at the WD Live...

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=735

I would need the network facility to use the network drive I have.

Do you have any opinions or knowledge of this particular model? Since I cannot afford a PS3, this looks like an excellent alternative.

Many thanks, Steve

swampy
09-08-2010, 20:43
Hi David. I have just had a look at the WD Live...

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=735

I would need the network facility to use the network drive I have.

Do you have any opinions or knowledge of this particular model? Since I cannot afford a PS3, this looks like an excellent alternative.

Many thanks, Steve

Sorry no. I only came into owning one by doing a deal / swap for a DVD player and was surprised at how good it sounded with Dave H's DAC... well good if you like a natural not up your nose type sound that seems so common these days. It was that good I immediately sold my MF A308 CDP that retailed at 2K when new... not that I paid that or would...

I read in the WD forums that some have had issues with streaming movies like HD mkv formats (BlueRay rips) with stuttering over the lan connection on these live models but we are talking high bitrates.

If you check Scan Computers... in multimedia there are many other types of these units now. I am sure there is better

http://www.scan.co.uk/Shop/Computer-Hardware/All/Home-Entertainment/Media-Streaming

swampy
09-08-2010, 20:46
srpp?

Re WDTV this has been quite highly recommended. However, I had one last year, and it didn't do what I wanted. It wouldn't play video files from two different new cameras - one Canon and one Panasonic Lumix - two different newish formats. I found that an Apple iMac would easily do that.

First thing to do is check for new firmware and flash it.

aquapiranha
09-08-2010, 21:47
Sorry no. I only came into owning one by doing a deal / swap for a DVD player and was surprised at how good it sounded with Dave H's DAC... well good if you like a natural not up your nose type sound that seems so common these days. It was that good I immediately sold my MF A308 CDP that retailed at 2K when new... not that I paid that or would...

I read in the WD forums that some have had issues with streaming movies like HD mkv formats (BlueRay rips) with stuttering over the lan connection on these live models but we are talking high bitrates.

If you check Scan Computers... in multimedia there are many other types of these units now. I am sure there is better

http://www.scan.co.uk/Shop/Computer-Hardware/All/Home-Entertainment/Media-Streaming

OK thanks David. I really like the look of the WD device with networking. I doubt I will be streaming blu-ray tbh, I want it mainly for music (FLAC) so may well try to pick one up and then get a DAC with toslink later on. Thanks, Steve

BoD
13-08-2010, 08:44
The WD Live is an amazing device for the money.

My colleague plays BluRay rips in MKV format without issue to his projector @ 1080p 24fps.

I used mine to play audio and it played every format I have ie FLAC, WMA etc etc. I sold mine to my colleague I wanted something that could also show live & recorded TV. So ended up getting an Acer Revo for £190.

aquapiranha
13-08-2010, 10:01
Thanks John. They certainly look like good value to me and one has been added to my wanted list!

bose.ltd
20-08-2010, 19:50
Hi

Leo,
here's what is inside the PS3
http://www2.electronicproducts.com/Sony_PS3_-_2009-whatsinside-87.aspx

Bob

Spectral Morn
20-08-2010, 19:52
Hi

Leo,
here's what is inside the PS3
http://www2.electronicproducts.com/Sony_PS3_-_2009-whatsinside-87.aspx

Bob

Hi Bob

Welcome to AOS

Please pop into the welcome section of the forum say hello, tell us a bit about your system and taste in music. Can you also add a basic location to your location part of your details on your User CP.

Thank you D S D L

electric beach
24-08-2010, 12:08
Ian...

Interesting......!

I have the fat-boy PS3 importing Flac files via computer/PS3 Media Server and fed optically to external Dac. I find the sound to be quite laid back, relaxing and refined. The soundstage and presentation in particular have a cohesion and rightness that I've been striving for. So I guess I could say that I find the PS3 quite analogue sounding! Now whether our different experiences are due to the PS3 transcoding settings (Ian helped me with this), or our different system contexts I don't know. I don't feel the same about the PS3 either as a disc transport or standalone player; then I find it singularly unspectacular.

For me also, the bugger is the convoluted set up that requires the use of a PC and network involvement. If only Sony could make a system upgrade to play Flac natively :steam:

So I was very interested in your WD comments and my files are already on a WD Passport drive. The WDTV Mini is going for £30 on Amazon so I bought one for comparison myself - only to play Flac files for music.

To my surprise I heard a "digital" quality to the sound that was rather cold, 2-dimentional and tonally lean; certainly a similar sound to my CD player as opposed to the PS3. There were qualities that were noticably impressive; striking dynamics, instrument seperation and vocal clarity. But no easy Vinyl-like presentation, rich in tone and depth.

I'm now assuming, apart from the connection and user function differences between the WDTV and the WDTV Mini, that there must be a fundamental difference in the sound processing. I'll have to try the other model now, can't resist the potential panacea, but appreciate if anyone can see anything in the specs to explain.

aquapiranha
24-08-2010, 18:42
Well I have just bought the WDTV Live and I hope to have it running directly from an external USB drive over the weekend as the software on my server is a little glitchy. I heard it briefly at Ian Walkers - he uses a PS3 but in fairness it was too short a listen to form any meaningful conclusions. I will post my findings when I have had some time to hear it properly.

electric beach
25-08-2010, 09:42
Well I have just bought the WDTV Live and I hope to have it running directly from an external USB drive over the weekend as the software on my server is a little glitchy. I heard it briefly at Ian Walkers - he uses a PS3 but in fairness it was too short a listen to form any meaningful conclusions. I will post my findings when I have had some time to hear it properly.

That would be interesting and informative Steve. I'm fairly sure that the three "full size" models could be expected to be similar to each other, when the Mini could reasonably be expected to be different (older design, smaller heatsink, etc). What DAC will you run through?

Did Ian pass any comment on his impressions of the WDTV compared to his PS3 setup? I bought Duncan's Brass Dac from Ian and I know that used it in the the same configuration as Ian's.
Duncan - if you're looking in, can you explain why the PS3 media server makes such a difference. If I play WAV files directly from either the external HD or the internal PS3 one, it's good but not with the same "Wow, that's something special" factor. :stalks:

aquapiranha
25-08-2010, 09:55
That would be interesting and informative Steve. I'm fairly sure that the three "full size" models could be expected to be similar to each other, when the Mini could reasonably be expected to be different (older design, smaller heatsink, etc). What DAC will you run through?

Did Ian pass any comment on his impressions of the WDTV compared to his PS3 setup? I bought Duncan's Brass Dac from Ian and I know that used it in the the same configuration as Ian's.
Duncan - if you're looking in, can you explain why the PS3 media server makes such a difference. If I play WAV files directly from either the external HD or the internal PS3 one, it's good but not with the same "Wow, that's something special" factor. :stalks:

Hi Steve. I didn't really get to have a proper listen at Ian's but he did say he preferred the bass on his PS3. Time will tell how it sounds on my system. I will not be using an external DAC initially until I can afford to maybe add a Bdac at some point.

Steve