PDA

View Full Version : WTD Shure M55E cartridge styli or not

Opti-cal
04-03-2021, 19:33
As title I'm after a Shure M55E cartridge. Not too bothered about the stylus condition or presence even. USA made would be good.

Having been messed around by the seller and disappointed by the condition of one I bought on eBay, I'm hoping someone on here has one lurking.

Cheers

Andy831
04-03-2021, 20:57
Think I may have a new one somewhere but I also suspect that it may be a "mexico" one.

I will have a look tomorrow Chris.

Andy

Andy831
04-03-2021, 20:58

Jimbo
05-03-2021, 07:04
Great cartridge this Chris and I was only discussing it with a couple of folk last night. I have been a big fan of the M55e and have used it with a number of stylus. First a cheap replacement standard stylus, then a NOS standard stylus which sounded very good. I then moved on to a Jico SAS with boron cantilever and this was seriously good probably up there with my 2M black.
However I now run an M55E with a Jico n55e improved replacement stylus which is excellent and sounds better than the NOS Shure stylus.

You will no doubt find one soon although the good ones which are USA manufactured are getting harder to come by and the body alone fetches upwards of £50 and they are increasing in price.
I do recommend whatever you get maybe try the Jico stylus as it really sounds excellent, I have copied a link below but expect to pay £80 including import duties!

https://www.jico-stylus.com/product/n55e-improved/

Opti-cal
05-03-2021, 07:49
Thanks all.

Andy - that would be great if you could check anyway.

Jim - yeah that echoes the sentiments of what I've been hearing. There is one for sale with one of those Jico's ("hardly used") already for just over a ton which considering the price of needle/cart seems okay. IF it is indeed "hardly used" . . . .

Cheers

Opti-cal
05-03-2021, 08:09
Just bought the M55e with Jico stylus for a ton as advertised.

Here's hoping its in better nick than the last one I 'chanced' off the bay . . . .

Thanks for the replies anyway guys.

Jimbo
05-03-2021, 08:42
Thanks all.

Andy - that would be great if you could check anyway.

Jim - yeah that echoes the sentiments of what I've been hearing. There is one for sale with one of those Jico's ("hardly used") already for just over a ton which considering the price of needle/cart seems okay. IF it is indeed "hardly used" . . . .

Cheers

If its got a Jico stylus in then that sounds reasonable as they are £80 to get into this country so with aM55E body that sounds a fair price as long as it is "Hardly used" :):rolleyes:

Opti-cal
05-03-2021, 08:46
If its got a Jico stylus in then that sounds reasonable as they are £80 to get into this country so with aM55E body that sounds a fair price as long as it is "Hardly used" :):rolleyes:

Tis always the risk Jim! Oh well I've taken a leap of faith. As I did with the 270c cartridge which proved its worth (in a Last Crusade way . . . )

Jimbo
05-03-2021, 09:00
Tis always the risk Jim! Oh well I've taken a leap of faith. As I did with the 270c cartridge which proved its worth (in a Last Crusade way . . . )

The M55e is a great analogue tool from the days when vinyl was king and there was a lot of competition.:)

struth
05-03-2021, 09:03
preferred mine with an original shure stylus personally although it easy to hear what is likeable with a sas /jico type tip

Jimbo
05-03-2021, 10:06
preferred mine with an original shure stylus personally although it easy to hear what is likeable with a sas /jico type tip

Yes the original is a great stylus but found the Jico n55e improved replacement a touch more detailed. Not talking SAS Jico as that is a different beast altogether!

struth
05-03-2021, 10:22
Yes the original is a great stylus but found the Jico n55e improved replacement a touch more detailed. Not talking SAS Jico as that is a different beast altogether!The sas was very good but I preferred the dynamism of the original. But these things are all just personal tastes. They are all good

Andy831
05-03-2021, 13:36
Lol I guess I don't need to look now Chris if you have sorted one LOL

Wakefield Turntables
05-03-2021, 13:58
I'm a very big fan of the M55E, you may also want to try the SC35C.

Opti-cal
05-03-2021, 14:03
Lol I guess I don't need to look now Chris if you have sorted one LOL

Yes thanks Andy, I mean I'm currently hoarding old mm carts so if you were ever to dig it out and wish to sell I might still be tempted. No rush though if its a pain.

Cheers

Opti-cal
05-03-2021, 14:12
you may also want to try the SC35C.

Wish I could find one mate! . . . . Might give that Tonar Diabolic modification a go too . . . .