PDA

View Full Version : Taking a fresh look at my system

Handiman
13-02-2021, 22:01
Hello all, I'm a retired mechanical engineer, still dragging my old '70's sytem around with me. My pre amp failed some years ago, so I bought a cheap Cambridge unit to 'borrow' the needed bit. More recently, I have missed the clarity of the failed unit so have made a start on repair, and it looks like I am close to sorting it out. The old system bits left are B&W DM7's driven by Yamaha C2/B2 with a bashed up CT7000 tuner. I guess I will be asking for help and advice shortly !

struth
14-02-2021, 02:31
Hi Howard. Welcome to aos. Hopefully someone might aid you. A few engineers in group

walpurgis
14-02-2021, 08:13
Hello Howard. Welcome to AOS.

Take a look around the site and join in any chat that interests you.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

Macca
14-02-2021, 08:24
Yamaha B2! Almost legendary these days. Hang on to it!

Tom Brooks
14-02-2021, 14:42
Yamaha C2 ... Legend of the late 70s!

Handiman
14-02-2021, 16:10
C2 -legendary - yes, if working; B2 - legendary - yes, and interestingly, what got me onto this forum, I was looking at the DM7's and wondering if I should change them for something a little more 'musical' ? but remembered how I came by them and the amps. I bought the DM7's on impulse because I was fed up with having to push my B&O5702's so hard to get them to wake up (they seemed dull at low volumes), and the DM7's seemed much better in that respect - lets face it we don't always want to shake the floorboards, although it is fun when it happens. I then had the problem of finding the right amp to get the best out of them. A fat deposit was put down with a local dealer and I went through everything of 100watt or greater (The DM7 is very inefficient). The Yamahas made every other amp seem dull by comparison and I had tried a lot.
I noted on this forum a thread which included someone slagging off the DM's and immediately thought - he has not heard them being driven properly, and puts too much store by received wisdom - the best type comes from personal experience.
Anyway, once the C2 is back up and running, I will be looking for new front end kit.