PDA

View Full Version : Appliance guarantees ?

Audio Al
10-02-2021, 15:10
Anyone up on this subject ?

I have a Panasonic inverter microwave that has started playing up

The makers offer a 1 year guarantee , but I do remember a article some time ago about a fit for purpose

3 year warantee ? does this still apply ??

If so can someone point me in the direction of this please as it is on it's way out inside the 3 year time

The platter is now jerking and jumping and at times I can hear a metal grinding noise , Sounds like the motor or bearing is on its way out

I thank you :)

mad-moon
10-02-2021, 15:36
6 years Al..read here :-

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/how-to-complain/

struth
10-02-2021, 15:43
good luck on that..it should imo last longer but many these days dont.. my panasonic is over 30 yrs and still going. my sharp is over 15 and still fine as well

Audio Al
10-02-2021, 16:42
I just spent half an hour going round and round in circles trying to contact Curries/pcworld

They build the web sites to avoid any way of direct contact unless you dig real deep

I eventually managed after 6 press this for that requests to speak to a opperator who point blank said the guatrantee is for 1 year , I mentioned the trading standards fit for purpose 3 year minimum an she repeated the guarantee is 1 year

Where do I go now :(

Truckletheuncivil
10-02-2021, 16:47
I’m pretty sure you’ll have to go direct to manufacturer as it’s over a year. I had similar thing with an oven a few years back. Keep moaning was my technique.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

struth
10-02-2021, 16:49
think you need to go to small claims court.. success rate? ive no idea...but im guessing you would have to pay for a thourogh check of applience by a neutral.

or you can go on to trust pilot and leave honest reviews of panasonic(i take it youve contacted them too) and currys. write it off and buy elsewhere. i use ao now mostly

Lawrence001
10-02-2021, 17:40
I remember some EU consumer law that said you should expect a reasonable life span, but there was also a presumption that up to 6m the item was sold as faulty but after that it was up to the buyer to prove it wasn't through being wrongly used or reasonable wear and tear or whatever. So other than posting on their Twitter feed or something, they would probably argue the toss to get out of paying in the knowledge it's not cost effective to take them to court.

If you followed the Indesit tumble dryer debacle you would see how hard it is to get anything out of these firms.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

struth
10-02-2021, 17:52
I remember some EU consumer law that said you should expect a reasonable life span, but there was also a presumption that up to 6m the item was sold as faulty but after that it was up to the buyer to prove it wasn't through being wrongly used or reasonable wear and tear or whatever. So other than posting on their Twitter feed or something, they would probably argue the toss to get out of paying in the knowledge it's not cost effective to take them to court.

If you followed the Indesit tumble dryer debacle you would see how hard it is to get anything out of these firms.

yyop but we are not in eu. personally i'd just write it off and but something from another brand and seller Al.

Pigmy Pony
10-02-2021, 18:10
I just spent half an hour going round and round in circles

(

That's why the turntable motor broke :(

Audio Al
10-02-2021, 18:21
At the time of purchase I could have opted for a lesser model , Somthing around £50 but no I went for a better quality model £150 , The £50 one would have been a better buy , Leason learnt

I could have purchase 3 of the £50 ones

struth
10-02-2021, 18:42
No doubt that buying expensive kitchen stuff can cause probs, and not last well. But some, like mine have outlasted any expectations

Lawrence001
10-02-2021, 22:44
yyop but we are not in eu. personally i'd just write it off and but something from another brand and seller Al.No but we copied most of the law over into UK law as required and I'm not sure there's been a wholesale repeal of all those laws (yet).

Macca
11-02-2021, 08:37
No but we copied most of the law over into UK law as required and I'm not sure there's been a wholesale repeal of all those laws (yet).

Correct. Also the EU mandate a minimum of 2 years warranty, English Law actually goes further than that.

hifinutt
28-02-2021, 12:40
I just spent half an hour going round and round in circles trying to contact Curries/pcworld

They build the web sites to avoid any way of direct contact unless you dig real deep

I eventually managed after 6 press this for that requests to speak to a opperator who point blank said the guatrantee is for 1 year , I mentioned the trading standards fit for purpose 3 year minimum an she repeated the guarantee is 1 year

Where do I go now :(

yes since covid they have been a total disaster with contact . i bought a laptop not the same as the pictures and gave up trying to contact them

brian2957
28-02-2021, 12:46
Personally I try to buy from John Lewis or Richer Sounds these days. Both offer a proper guarantee :)

spendorman
28-02-2021, 14:27
Have a listen to BBC Three Counties Radio weekdays 11 AM to 12:30 PM. Jonathan Vernon-Smith. "Last a reasonable time" I think is phrase that applies. Retailers conveniently deny knowledge of this. Your supplier is often guilty of this and have been put right by the program several times. You should be able to get something done, failing this, the small claims court as others have suggested. You will win.

Filterlab
28-02-2021, 20:03
Personally I wouldn't bother chasing it up. It'll end up costing more than the price of a new one. Just buy a cheap one, they're no worse than expensive ones for reliability.