PDA

View Full Version : Bi-wiring...

Phil Lawton
04-02-2021, 16:15
...Is that still a thing?

And is it worth doing?

walpurgis
04-02-2021, 16:37
Tried it a few times. Never heard any benefit.

Beobloke
04-02-2021, 16:41
Try it. You might like it; Or you might not. Either way, no-one gets hurt! Unless you trip over one of the cables and bang your head on the speaker, obviously...

FWIW, I’ve heard it make a positive difference but only with a proper bi-wire speaker cable that uses different conductor configurations for the HF and LF.

Doing it with two runs of the same cable is just a waste of time.

hifi_dave
04-02-2021, 17:13
Waste of time. Buy one run of a better cable rather than two indifferent.

We did it decades ago when Spica speakers appeared from the US. They were the first, as I recall, with two sets of terminals. We used to use mains cable for the LF and taped a Litz cable to it for the HF. Yes, it did make a 'difference' but not necessarily for the better. Bi-wiring then took off, mainly because there was more profit in it but now there are few new speakers with LF and HF terminals.

anthonyTD
04-02-2021, 17:20
I would recomend spending a bit more on a single run of cables, unless of course as others have said; you want to experiment with diffrent cables for the bass and mid/high frequency units.

Manicatel
04-02-2021, 17:22
I agree with the above view. Spend the same budget on one better run of cables rather than splitting the budget for 2 lots of lesser cable.

Pharos
04-02-2021, 23:40
Never experienced a difference, and the cct analysis doesn't explain why there should be any.

Phil Lawton
05-02-2021, 14:23
Yeah, already using quality speaker cable, but something I saw in the 'For sale' section made me wonder if anyone still bothered with it.

I could never fathom how/why it would make a significant difference.

WullieD20
05-02-2021, 15:11
If you can possibly try bi-wiring by borrowing an extra run, or purchasing with a view to moving on if it doesn't do anything for you, you will answer your own question.

Many believe bi-wiring contributes nothing extra, but I have tried it with many cables (and different amps and speakers) and have 'generally' believed I could hear differences, to the extent that I would always use it if the components permitted. (if it doesn't work, why do single run users prefer to exchange their links fitted to the speaker terminals for bespoke jumpers?)

Undoubtedly, a single run of 'better' cable may be superior to two runs of a lesser quality, but it then comes down to what you can afford and whether it will work for you. Experimentation is your friend.

Lawrence001
05-02-2021, 23:38
...Is that still a thing?

And is it worth doing?Many hifi dealers think it does. So does What Hifi, or at least they used to. Can't imagine why...

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

Filterlab
10-02-2021, 18:52
Waste of time. Buy one run of a better cable rather than two indifferent

Exactly this. But remember to replace those gold jumper bars with some of the same cable.

Beobloke
10-02-2021, 19:09
Exactly this. But remember to replace those gold jumper bars with some of the same cable.

Or don’t bother!

RichB
10-02-2021, 19:51
FWIW, I’ve heard it make a positive difference but only with a proper bi-wire speaker cable that uses different conductor configurations for the HF and LF.

Doing it with two runs of the same cable is just a waste of time.

Yes, that matches my experience with it. Had some excellent results using NVA LS5 configured that way.

hifi_dave
11-02-2021, 11:51
Yes preferably, or any bit of cable because the jumpers do affect the sound, quite markedly.

Barry
13-02-2021, 01:41
This might be of interest: https://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?5818-Basics-amp-General-Bi-amping-and-Bi-wiring.

I would also commend the use of cable such as the NVA LS5 for bi-wiring.

Marco
13-02-2021, 11:10
Where have you been mate? I was nearly sending out the search party!!;)

Just worried you weren't well, as you've not posted for about a week - and obviously haven't read the mod room!:ner:;)

Marco.

Pigmy Pony
13-02-2021, 13:47
Where have you been mate? I was nearly sending out the search party!!;)

Just worried you weren't well, as you've not posted for about a week - and obviously haven't read the mod room!:ner:;)

Marco.

There you go again with this mod room! What is it? Where is it? Every time I go looking for it I end up in the toilet :( I do have an old parka with a RAF target on the back, if this helps.

walpurgis
13-02-2021, 13:51
It's where the lads turn up riding their Vespas and Lambrettas :).

Pigmy Pony
13-02-2021, 14:01
It's where the lads turn up riding their Vespas and Lambrettas :).

:) Ah, so that's why I keep ending up in the toilet - I should be following the smell of two-stroke, not Marco's guffs...

Filterlab
13-02-2021, 18:56
Yes preferably, or any bit of cable because the jumpers do affect the sound, quite markedly.

Indeed. They are pretty pants those bent, gold things.

chris@panteg
15-02-2021, 10:47
I tried living with a single run of my Hitachi lc-ssx with jumpers then back to bi-wired with two runs of my Hitachi cable.
I prefer the bi-wired set up with my LV'S. Just sounds a bit more open, not a huge difference.