PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Kitchener (Canada)

Ianderson
04-02-2021, 05:28
Hello to you all and hope that collectively this group is keeping our sanity in these Covid times and enjoying the music!

Grew up with a fabulous classical piano player father that could play everything with ease. That boy would play 10-15 hours every week his whole life. That was the basis for my ear training. Then he would build Dynaco tube based electronic kits at the kitchen table with me lending a helping hand. Home made enclosures for Goodman speakers, we had one of the better stereos in the neighbourhood. This was the groundwork for the equipment learnings. After graduating from school, I found a spot touring with a band as the sound man. We had a go, in spite of the brilliant playing skills of the band, nobody could write the hits. After 3 years on the road we packed it in.

Following a decade of selling audio gear I made a wholesale career change in IT. I’ve been a PM for big Pharma for 20+ years and it funds the crazy hobby.

One of my passions is for equipment that uses the 6SN7, either as a preamp, or power amp driver. Lots of tube rolling choices, and some great tonal meat on the bones. With 3 systems and spares I’ve acquired some fun pieces. This allows me opportunities to mix and match because we all know, there is no perfect system, just ones we can happily live with based on our personal musical priorities balanced in the room it sits in.

Instead of saying what’s in which system (as that can change on a whim) I’ll list most of the pieces:

Front end:
Mapleknoll Ariadne Reference
VPI Aries I
VPI Classic 2

Cartridges Dynavector XV1s, Benz LPS, Benz LP mono, and Myajima Zero

Esoteric Dv60 (2)
Innuos Zenith and Phoenix
Denafrips DAC
Ayer Codex DAC

Otari MX5050 R2R heavenly modded and updated
Technics RS1500 modded and updated

Preamps (that 6SN7 passion)
MFA Luminescence
Wyetech Opal
Atma Sphere MP1 v3.3 with phono
Supratek Chenin

Phono Stage
Herron
Zesto

Amps
Atma Sphere M60 v3.3
Wyetech Topaz 211 set with Audio Note tranny
Coincident Frankenstein & Dragons
Antique Sound Lab Hurricane heavily modded
ASL AQ1006-845 Set
Original Quad Ii

Speakers
Tannoy Churchill
Quad 63 USA monitor fully refurbished in Huntington just before they closed operations
Coincident Pure Reference Extremes
Reference 3a De Cappo

A Sansui 9900 and 717 tuners

I love music of all kinds, though Blues tends to be a consistent favourite throughout the years. Also if it’s acoustical instruments - I have a high bias for most genres done with them, including classical.

I’m format agnostic, while a lot of the best sounding copies I have are Master Tape and Vinyl, I’ve got SACD’s or digital on a hard drive that the mastering is better on them. There is fun on the hardware side, however it’s the composition and performance that matters most. Great fun this is!

Cheers

walpurgis
04-02-2021, 08:11
Hello Ian. Welcome to AOS.

Take a look around the site and join in any chat that interests you.

Enjoy the forum
Geoff.

struth
04-02-2021, 10:27
welcome Ian. great list of gear.. I hope you enjoy the forum:)

Ianderson
14-02-2021, 17:17
Guys, that for the welcome. I look forward it the interactions on the forum boards...

Stay safe and warm!

Ian

anthonyTD
15-02-2021, 09:47
Hi Ian,
Welcome to AOS, you have lots of interesting equipment, and i am sure you will find many like minded enthusiasts here to share your passion with :)
A...