PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding phono stage earth cable

jasonC
01-02-2021, 17:44
A was looking for a cheap phono stage for my spare turntable and came across one by stc on ebay from Greece
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PHONO-PREAMP-STEREO-Turntable-RIAA-PREAMPLIFIER-KP200B-BL-/153699137716
Arrived today after five days of placing the order and something has left me abit confused.

In the picture i saw it had a ground which i assumed wrongly assumed was a connector for the turntable ground cable but as it turns out in person it is a cable that comes out, a ground cable
My turntable has a ground cable but the stage has no grounding connector, just the ground cable
so now i have two ground cables that i have no idea what to do with.
My guess is some phono stages have built in grounding and some like this one do not.
My Rega turntable has not got a grounding cable so i may use that with it and my spare turntable with my Edward audio stage which has a ground connector.
What do i do with the grounding cable?
My amp is a tube hybrid has no earth connection, it is pretty basic.
The other issue is the grounding cable is pretty short, can i just earth it to a screw on the phono stage itself?

I am not that bright on these topics so please bear that is mind if what i am asking may seem dumb as in not knowing much about ground cables

Barry
01-02-2021, 18:22
I think the Rega turntable doesn't use a grounding cable as the metalwork of the arm is grounded through the outer screen of the phono connectors.

But if you want to use your new phono stage with a turntable that does have a grounding cable, I would try out the following combinations:

[1] connect just the turntable grounding lead to the metalwork of your main amplifier, and ignore the phonostage ground cable

[2] connect both ground leads to the metalwork of the main amplifier.

Choose whichever combination sounds best (that is, you cannot hear any noise or hum). But remember the ground lead of the turntable is likely to be a safety earth, so must be connected to the metalwork of the main amplifier.

Lurch
01-02-2021, 18:42
Another option, if the earth lead on the new PS is just a bare wire. Strip back about 5mm of the insulation and crimp a female bullet connector to it (as used for car electrics). This will then take either a 4mm nut and bolt, bolt thread stuffed down female conctor & spade on tt arm earth will clamp between nut and bolt head) or if a banana plug on arm earth this will fit into opening of female connector.

Sent from my I3312 using Tapatalk

Mikeandvan
01-02-2021, 22:06
I'VE JUst connected my 1210gr with its standard tonearm and the connection is phono both ends, i didn;t have a phono cable with earth lead so just connected and there's no buzz whatsoever.