PDA

View Full Version : Suspending a T/T?

webby
28-07-2010, 20:01
Hi,

I've often wondered this but thought it might be a dumb question, but has anyone ever suspended their T/T from the ceiling?

DSJR
28-07-2010, 20:04
In the early 70's, that's how Technics got their really low rumble figures, as placing the deck on a support increased the rumble measurement apparently...

Techno Commander
28-07-2010, 21:05
I did a gig in a night club that had the record decks sat on a heavy steel framed table that was suspended from the roof joists on steel cables.

I also came across another venue that had 2 x 6" square RSJ's sunk into a concrete pit with the decks sat on top of the joists.

Rare Bird
30-07-2010, 15:02
Hi,

I've often wondered this but thought it might be a dumb question, but has anyone ever suspended their T/T from the ceiling?

In the real world as soon as anyone walks across the room upstair your in trouble i'd have thought!

Alex_UK
30-07-2010, 16:21
Unless there isn't an upstairs! ;)

Stratmangler
30-07-2010, 16:30
Unless there isn't an upstairs! ;)

Skyhooks ?:scratch:

Alex_UK
30-07-2010, 16:40
Ok, maybe I should have said "Unless there isn't an upstairs floor above you if you are already on the top floor" (The turntables could still be suspended from the roof/ceiling without there being another floor that can be walked on above :) )

hifi_dave
30-07-2010, 18:46
It's pretty much like sitting your turntable on a rack, just t'other way up. The ceiling flexes and vibrates as does the floor and this is transmitted to the turntable. You won't get footfall though if you are on the top floor.

If the turntable is hung from 'string', the turntable vibrates with the sound waves and via it's own mechanical structure and then it has nowhere to go. The vibrations are trapped in the turntable.

It's a whole new can of worms...:scratch:

Reid Malenfant
30-07-2010, 18:59
It's pretty much like sitting your turntable on a rack, just t'other way up. The ceiling flexes and vibrates as does the floor and this is transmitted to the turntable. You won't get footfall though if you are on the top floor.
Agreed, the best turntable supports i have seen were bolted to a brick wall ;) Try flexing that :lolsign:

unsteadyken
01-08-2010, 22:34
Hanging your 'record player' from the deckhead was the norm in the Merchant Navy, even then it was dodgy in anything but very calm conditions or when in port. I came across a gimbal mounted radiogram in the passenger lounge of one ship.
The introduction of the Compact Cassette was a blessing for sailors.