PDA

View Full Version : A&R Cambridge A60 Repair

Mothman
28-07-2010, 18:03
My recently acquired A60 has just died on me:(. I lost most of the volume in the left channel, the balance pot also felt stiff and scratchy when turned and then I suddenly lost all power. It may have only blown some of the internal fuses but I am reluctant to replace these until someone who knows what there doing has had a look as I don't want to inflict fatal damage (assuming it's not terminal already).

So can any one recommend a repairer who knows A60's and who also may be able to do a recap if the amps saveable?

Thanks

Ian Walker
28-07-2010, 18:20
Hi Rich,
This should be of interest to you.

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=53785

Ian.

Mothman
28-07-2010, 19:36
Thanks for the link Ian

Unfortunately I have neither the knowledge or skills to repair it myself and so was looking for suggestions re somebody who can look it for me.

DSJR
28-07-2010, 20:10
Firstly, A60's have a habit of popping their internal fuses, often for no reason. Unplug from the mains and pop the top off to see. With any luck, that's all it is and you'll soon be up and running again.

Mothman
28-07-2010, 20:23
I was somewhat concerned about the loss of most of the sound from the left channel before the power went and was worried that if I stuck new fuses in and powered up I may end up cooking it (assuming its not already fried). What thinks ye?

Reid Malenfant
29-07-2010, 16:29
Hi Rich, a quick question for you :) Now think carefully (if you need to), in what order did these things happen? You say that the balance control felt "stiff & scratchy". From this i gather it didn't like turning & when it did you got a load of crackling sounds eminating from the speakers?

Were you turning the balance control when the channel packed up? If the answer is yes i'd suggest that the balance control is probably to blame & that one of the carbon tracks is damaged or broken, thus severing the circuit.

Mothman
29-07-2010, 18:32
Hi Mark, thanks for the response. I had just reconnected the amp after demoing another one. I noticed it didn't sound right and so turned the balance knob and noticed the much reduced sound in the left channel. The balance pot felt slightly stiff just to the left of the center point but I don't recall any crackling from the speakers when I was turning the knob. I don't beleive I was turning the knowb when the power went. Tonight I replaced the four 1.6A internal fuses but the amps still dead:(. This thread seems to describe some of the symptoms I experienced

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/154647-r-cambridge-a60-amp-left-channel-very-low-distorted.html

I didn't crank the volume up so don't know if I would have had any distortion, also this guy doesn't report losing the powers supply like me:(.

Rare Bird
03-08-2010, 14:48
Firstly, A60's have a habit of popping their internal fuses, often for no reason.

News to me i've had loads over the years & given some welly 24/7...:scratch:

Reid Malenfant
03-08-2010, 17:00
Ooops, i forgot all about this thread :rolleyes:

Rich, do you happen to own a multimeter? If yes we may be able to check a few things out, let me know & i'll see if i can help :)

If not & you don't know what you are doing i guess it'll need to be taken somewhere for a repair :(