PDA

View Full Version : Glen Croft?

kininigin
12-01-2021, 15:31
Has anyone been in contact with Glen lately? looking to get an upgrade but cannot seem to get in touch.

anthonyTD
12-01-2021, 17:01
Glen usualy responds to emails rather than by phone.
Hope that helps.
A...
Has anyone been in contact with Glen lately? looking to get an upgrade but cannot seem to get in touch.

hifi_dave
12-01-2021, 17:12
Yep, e-mailed with him twice today and spoke to him on the phone.

kininigin
12-01-2021, 17:34
All sorted now, his reply went in my spam folder for some reason.

Thanks for the replies.

All going well, should hopefully have the 25RS model in 2-3 weeks :D

Been using the Micro 25 for about 8 years now, which i've been very happy with. Not sure what to expect from the 25RS but i'm sure it will be worth it!

kininigin
14-01-2021, 10:49
I'm thinking that upgrading to the RS model, this will probably be my last pre amp and so am wondering if it's worthwhile upgrading the volume pots whilst I'm at it, or just leave as standard? Looking about it seems Dact and Khozmo are well regarded.

I will of course get Glens opinion on the matter when I can but would like to hear from anyone who has gone down this route and what benefits,or otherwise you had.

Cheers.

worrasf
14-01-2021, 11:34
I think Glenn is shielding - when I spoke with him a few weeks ago he told me he isn't going out but he was not unwell. It took him over a week to respond to my Happy Christmas email but as always he got back.

Anyway, when I got the full monty upgrade to 25 RSLS line stage spec he automatically swapped out the old volume pots - I didn't specify which ones to put in just went with the flow. I have to say the upgrade to RSLS line stage is a huge improvement in dynamics, bass extension/control and "musicality" Defo the end of the road for me in terms of amplifiers.

Steve

Jimbo
14-01-2021, 12:59
I think Glenn is shielding - when I spoke with him a few weeks ago he told me he isn't going out but he was not unwell. It took him over a week to respond to my Happy Christmas email but as always he got back.

Anyway, when I got the full monty upgrade to 25 RSLS line stage spec he automatically swapped out the old volume pots - I didn't specify which ones to put in just went with the flow. I have to say the upgrade to RSLS line stage is a huge improvement in dynamics, bass extension/control and "musicality" Defo the end of the road for me in terms of amplifiers.

Steve

That sounds a nice upgrade Stephen, any chance of a few pics?

kininigin
14-01-2021, 16:05

Steve

Hi Stephen, you know what, it never occurred to me he would be shielding, bizarrely. I'm in no rush to get things done, so as long as he stays safe, that's the main thing.

That's interesting he automatically upgraded the pots anyway. Did you have the 25 or 25R beforehand? Sounds like you've got a top notch pre with the improvements I'm looking for. What's the rest of your kit out of interest?

worrasf
14-01-2021, 22:10
Hi Stephen, you know what, it never occurred to me he would be shielding, bizarrely. I'm in no rush to get things done, so as long as he stays safe, that's the main thing.

That's interesting he automatically upgraded the pots anyway. Did you have the 25 or 25R beforehand? Sounds like you've got a top notch pre with the improvements I'm looking for. What's the rest of your kit out of interest?I started yonks ago with a plain old 25 with phono stage and over the years have got Glenn to breathe on it as and when funds allowed so it's been a journey but that way I could appreciate the stepwise improvements. Aside from the 25 to 25RSLS line stage mods Glenn added a buffer stage to the line out circuit which I use to drive my Capella headphone amp. Before this mod there was an audible drop in SQ with the Capella connected. I run the preamp with a pair of Croft 7 monos. For phono stages I use a Tom Evans microgroove for my MC carts and a Rothwell Simplex with Fidelity Audio LPSU for my MM carts. I add in a Rothwell MC1-H SUT for my high output Mission 773 MC.

I'm using a highly modded SL 1210 with Mission 774 arm and Epos M22i speakers in this system.

For Digital I have a Cambridge Audio CXN 2 streamer and Cyrus XTSE2/PSxR transport with a Caiman SEG/Dorado

I have a TD150 with another Mission 774 arm and Decca Supergold cart into a Net Audio modded Quad 33/303 with a pair of Ruark Epilogue speakers and a REL Quake sub

Steve

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Marco
14-01-2021, 23:30
That sounds a nice upgrade Stephen, any chance of a few pics?

Hello stranger!:wave::ner:

Happy New Year! Hope you're well and that this isn't just a fleeting visit.....;)

Marco.

Jimbo
15-01-2021, 06:55
Hello stranger!:wave::ner:

Happy New Year! Hope you're well and that this isn't just a fleeting visit.....;)

Marco.

Happy New Year Marco:cool:

kininigin
16-01-2021, 15:02
I started yonks ago with a plain old 25 with phono stage and over the years have got Glenn to breathe on it as and when funds allowed so it's been a journey but that way I could appreciate the stepwise improvements. Aside from the 25 to 25RSLS line stage mods Glenn added a buffer stage to the line out circuit which I use to drive my Capella headphone amp. Before this mod there was an audible drop in SQ with the Capella connected. I run the preamp with a pair of Croft 7 monos. For phono stages I use a Tom Evans microgroove for my MC carts and a Rothwell Simplex with Fidelity Audio LPSU for my MM carts. I add in a Rothwell MC1-H SUT for my high output Mission 773 MC.

I'm using a highly modded SL 1210 with Mission 774 arm and Epos M22i speakers in this system.

For Digital I have a Cambridge Audio CXN 2 streamer and Cyrus XTSE2/PSxR transport with a Caiman SEG/Dorado

I have a TD150 with another Mission 774 arm and Decca Supergold cart into a Net Audio modded Quad 33/303 with a pair of Ruark Epilogue speakers and a REL Quake sub

Steve

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Some nice kit you have there! Would love to try a Decca at some point. They have always held an interest to me. Interesting about how you have upgraded a bit at a time and so could hear the benefits at each stage. This is something I'm slightly concerned about, if I was to go for fancy volume pots.

Well I have a bit of time to ponder as Glen has asked me to wait till next month as he has orders to catch up on.

Stranraer
17-01-2021, 00:17
I've had a similar journey equipment-wise, picked up my 25RSLS before Christmas and have struggled to do anything but listen since.
I'm finding some music almost overwhelming now, due to greater soundstage and definition. Bizarrely, I'm enjoying some album tracks that for years I've skipped past. They just make more sense with the improved dynamics.
Glenn did say at the time that he's backed up with orders, and of course England are playing cricket currently, so that might have a slight impact on productivity ?

I resisted the temptation to drop Glenn a line chasing an eta, and he contacted me as soon as it was ready.
Communication after that was prompt, almost instant.

Mine took a good few days to run in. Initially the volume was all or nothing. 12 O'clock on the volume knobs is zero. I couldn't go past 1 O'clock without having to apologise to the neighbours.
That quickly settled down and 1 to 4 O'clock is where most of the action is for me.
A bit of harshness at the top end has mellowed too, and bass has become more defined.
I really can't imagine upgrading further, though the Oppo 95 could be improved on at some point.

The bottom line is that I genuinely get excited each time I flick up those little power switches.

Enjoy ! I'm getting back to LCD Soundsystem, then some Sly and The Family Stone.

kininigin
17-01-2021, 21:39
I've had a similar journey equipment-wise, picked up my 25RSLS before Christmas and have struggled to do anything but listen since.
I'm finding some music almost overwhelming now, due to greater soundstage and definition. Bizarrely, I'm enjoying some album tracks that for years I've skipped past. They just make more sense with the improved dynamics.
Glenn did say at the time that he's backed up with orders, and of course England are playing cricket currently, so that might have a slight impact on productivity ?

I resisted the temptation to drop Glenn a line chasing an eta, and he contacted me as soon as it was ready.
Communication after that was prompt, almost instant.

Mine took a good few days to run in. Initially the volume was all or nothing. 12 O'clock on the volume knobs is zero. I couldn't go past 1 O'clock without having to apologise to the neighbours.
That quickly settled down and 1 to 4 O'clock is where most of the action is for me.
A bit of harshness at the top end has mellowed too, and bass has become more defined.
I really can't imagine upgrading further, though the Oppo 95 could be improved on at some point.

The bottom line is that I genuinely get excited each time I flick up those little power switches.

Enjoy ! I'm getting back to LCD Soundsystem, then some Sly and The Family Stone.

Hello David, sounds like you're really enjoying your music with the 25RS, which is what it is all about. You describe some of the improvements and experiences that I'm looking to get when I play music. Definitely looking for that wow moment, which I'm sure the 25RS will provide. Regardless whether I use some fancy pots or not.

Yes, forgot about his love of cricket, so won't pester him with questions just yet. Although I am keen to get the upgrades as soon as possible, I'll have to be a bit patient!

Nice choice of music by the way, not heard LCD Sound System for a long time! Will have to dig them out for a session.

Wakefield Turntables
17-01-2021, 22:23
Looks like he's out of transformers. I wanted my pre-amped modded and will have to wait until new supplies arrived. :(

kininigin
18-01-2021, 10:13
Looks like he's out of transformers. I wanted my pre-amped modded and will have to wait until new supplies arrived. :(

Oh really, well that's a shame. Hopefully he doesn't have to wait too long. Sounds like everyone is having lockdown upgrades and keeping him busy!

Stranraer
19-01-2021, 21:04
Sorry, I forget to mention that's exactly what Glenn told me.
His biggest issue is getting parts from his suppliers. I'm sure he said he's ok for the casings though, so if you're just buying it for the crazy good looks, an empty box could probably be with you within the week.

Re "You describe some of the improvements and experiences that I'm looking to get when I play music. Definitely looking for that wow moment, which I'm sure the 25RS will provide." I've upgraded through the Croft range several times now, and in my opinion the first time the new kit's fired up it's never an earth shattering improvement.
The sound just creeps up over time and I find myself hearing a new guitar line, or vocal harmonies. It's like having a new record collection, and more of a wow slowly spreading wave than a moment.

Wakefield Turntables
19-01-2021, 21:18

There could be a correlation between parts shortages and the current cricket coverage with England v Sri Lanka :rofl:

Stranraer
19-01-2021, 21:47
There could be a correlation between parts shortages and the current cricket coverage with England v Sri Lanka :rofl:

Well we've got a three day window now, then a whopping 10 days until England take on India.

Till then I'm relaxing with the Crofts, a whiskey and Bill Withers. Damn, music makes me feel good.......

kininigin
22-01-2021, 08:28
His biggest issue is getting parts from his suppliers. I'm sure he said he's ok for the casings though, so if you're just buying it for the crazy good looks, an empty box could probably be with you within the week.

Re "You describe some of the improvements and experiences that I'm looking to get when I play music. Definitely looking for that wow moment, which I'm sure the 25RS will provide." I've upgraded through the Croft range several times now, and in my opinion the first time the new kit's fired up it's never an earth shattering improvement.
The sound just creeps up over time and I find myself hearing a new guitar line, or vocal harmonies. It's like having a new record collection, and more of a wow slowly spreading wave than a moment.

Yes I know what you mean by creeping up on you. I started with a Micro Basic, which was superb for the money. Then when moving up to the 25, it was obvious it was different as the Basic was more coloured but it took a few weeks listening to lots of different music to get a proper appreciation of what it could do and the way it just draws you in!

To be honest, if I had to stay with the 25 for the rest of my days, I'd be perfectly fine with that! So cannot wait ( well till the cricket has finished ) to get my hands on a 25RS.

Been looking at the Dact CT2 volume pots, which look good (relatively) value. Anyone use them or have any experience of them?

rubber duck
22-01-2021, 13:39

I think Glenn only follows county cricket

Stranraer
25-01-2021, 21:30
Yes I know what you mean by creeping up on you. I started with a Micro Basic, which was superb for the money. Then when moving up to the 25, it was obvious it was different as the Basic was more coloured but it took a few weeks listening to lots of different music to get a proper appreciation of what it could do and the way it just draws you in! Exactly that. I've always thought it would be helpful to have the previous kit on hand to plug in a few weeks after the upgrade to really prove the difference. The drop back down would be far more noticeable than the initial step up I suspect.

To be honest, if I had to stay with the 25 for the rest of my days, I'd be perfectly fine with that! So cannot wait ( well till the cricket has finished ) to get my hands on a 25RS.

Been looking at the Dact CT2 volume pots, which look good (relatively) value. Anyone use them or have any experience of them?. I;m not techie at all, so not looked at upgrading elements of the Crofts or tube rolling. Always interested in any significant improvements that are out there though, of course.

kininigin
15-02-2021, 14:53
After seeing a croft RIAA R for sale on here, it's got me wondering if getting one of those and upgrading my pre to a 25RSLS would be a better option sound wise? Albeit more expensive.

Is the phono stage in the 25RS at the same level as the standalone Croft RIAA R?

Jimbo
15-02-2021, 17:59
After seeing a croft RIAA R for sale on here, it's got me wondering if getting one of those and upgrading my pre to a 25RSLS would be a better option sound wise? Albeit more expensive.

Is the phono stage in the 25RS at the same level as the standalone Croft RIAA R?

I think the Croft RIAA R phono stage is better than the one in the 25RS as I do not believe there is enough room to use for the full RIAA R treatment in a 25RS.:)

kininigin
15-02-2021, 19:29
I think the Croft RIAA R phono stage is better than the one in the 25RS as I do not believe there is enough room to use for the full RIAA R treatment in a 25RS.:)

Right, that makes sense. Wasn't sure where in the pecking order the 25RS was in relation to the RIAA R. Which I'm sure is fantastic anyway. I'm now leaning to separate phono stage and forgetting about upgrading the vol pots on the pre.

Jimbo
15-02-2021, 20:27
Right, that makes sense. Wasn't sure where in the pecking order the 25RS was in relation to the RIAA R. Which I'm sure is fantastic anyway. I'm now leaning to separate phono stage and forgetting about upgrading the vol pots on the pre.

I think Glenn would tell you that the Riaa R or RS stage would now be his top spec phono stage. The RS I think has separate power supply I think so RIAA is just regulated one box but RS 2 box.

If you want to go further you could then have a Linestage with separate power supply, so you would end up with 4 boxes! There are only a few top companies in the world who do this including LAMM Industries.

kininigin
16-02-2021, 10:10
I think Glenn would tell you that the Riaa R or RS stage would now be his top spec phono stage. The RS I think has separate power supply I think so RIAA is just regulated one box but RS 2 box.

If you want to go further you could then have a Linestage with separate power supply, so you would end up with 4 boxes! There are only a few top companies in the world who do this including LAMM Industries.

Yes, I'm definitely going for the 2 stage pre, so now it's a matter of if I should go the whole hog with the 2 stage phono!? Why do I get the feeling I'm going to end up spending more than I planned ha. This is more than likely going to be last upgrade so why not some might say.

Jimbo
16-02-2021, 10:23
I think a two stage phono stage may give an even bigger lift in SQ by removing the noisy toroid away from the delicate valves.

Would be interesting to know if the phono or pre benefits from separate power supply the most, I am sure Glenn would know��

kininigin
16-02-2021, 12:48
I'm sure he would too. Not been able to contact him to ask, so I guess he's still busy with orders....or the cricket is still on? Either way, I've got money burning a hole in my pocket ha.

Jimbo
16-02-2021, 13:04
I'm sure he would too. Not been able to contact him to ask, so I guess he's still busy with orders....or the cricket is still on? Either way, I've got money burning a hole in my pocket ha.

Nice position to be in.

I wanted to cram the Croft RIAA phono stage into a 25R but unfortunately no room! I may go down the RIAA R route myself in future.

hifi_dave
16-02-2021, 14:07
They both benefit from the separate power supply but there are other differences also.

Ordered a few units from Croft this morning.

fiddlemaker
18-02-2021, 23:51

He managed to fit a RIAA RS phono stage into my modded 25RS spec Micro A...:)

Jimbo
19-02-2021, 07:37
He managed to fit a RIAA RS phono stage into my modded 25RS spec Micro A...:)

Sorry I think the 25RS is a two box preamp so yes there would be room to fir RIAA R phono stage into that.

Di you find the RIAA RS phono stage a big improvement over the standard phono John?

fiddlemaker
20-02-2021, 16:30
Sorry I think the 25RS is a two box preamp so yes there would be room to fir RIAA R phono stage into that.

Di you find the RIAA RS phono stage a big improvement over the standard phono John?

Hi Jim, I had a mod/upgrade blitz a couple of years ago, so had the 2 box preamp upgrade as well as having my 7R made mono and adding another, and a paratrace retip for my cartridge, all at the same time. The total improvement was huge, but can't really isolate and quantify individual contributions. The intention at the time was to do the upgrade that would see me out, and it probably will...:)

Jimbo
21-02-2021, 06:31
Wow thats a lot of upgarding in one go there Stephen, I can imagine the huge improvement you got. Upgrading the phono stage has been a consideration of minefor sometime and there are so many ways to go with Croft gear. Most importantly I need to get the phono stage seperated from the preamp and PSU.

A more sophisticated phono stage can also be built when there is more room left in the box so I may consider doing this at the same time as seperating the PSU.

Stranraer
21-02-2021, 22:39
Hi all, I hope this doesn't seem like a thread hijack but as it's Croft related I thought it might be of interest to you. I posted it elsewhere a few weeks ago as I've found significant improvement in sound quality of my Croft set-up at zero cost, and by accident.

As a non techie type it's taken me seven years to discover that my Oppo CD/DVD player has a variable volume option, and I thought I'd try it out as my Croft preamp is sans remote control. Getting off the sofa to turn volume up and down, particularly with twin pots, can be a bit of a drag after a couple of glasses of Rioja. First World problem, I know.

I'm in a small terraced house and get on well with my neighbours so we have a compromise where they let me know if they're out for the evening leaving me free to cane the hifi guilt free, otherwise the Croft volume knobs stay at 3 O'Clock max.

Tonight, I'm controlling volume via the Oppo and the preamp is fixed at 7 O'clock. The transformation is significant. Separation, detail, tighter bass, even at low volume. I'm guessing this is because there's more juice flowing through the Croft.

I'm listening to the same CDs I played last night, 70s funk n soul, guitar rock and electronic dance and all are enhanced.
If you have a source with variable volume I'd definitely suggest giving this a go.

fiddlemaker
27-02-2021, 14:24
Been wondering recently what we'll all do if/when Glenn decides it's time to hang up his soldering iron...?

kininigin
27-02-2021, 15:27
Been wondering recently what we'll all do if/when Glenn decides it's time to hang up his soldering iron...?

Well I hope he doesn't before I get to upgrade my pre. How old is he out of interest? Still waiting for him to give the go ahead.

gerlando
11-03-2021, 10:29
Sorry, how long does it usually take for Glenn to respond to emails?

mikeyb
11-03-2021, 10:32
Sorry, how long does it usually take for Glenn to respond to emails?Depends if there's cricket on or not

Sometimes right away sometimes days

I suppose it all depends how many emails he receives in a day, I expect he gets more than he can deal with from all over the world, especially if he's building/modifying kit too [emoji6]

kininigin
11-03-2021, 15:24
I first contacted Glen in January, it's now March and I'm still nowhere nearer getting my amp upgraded. He must be really busy. I last heard from him a couple of weeks ago. I'm happy to wait, so not fussed.

He will get back to you though.

hifi_dave
11-03-2021, 17:38
He is extremely busy just now.

Lawrence001
11-03-2021, 18:23
Has he ever had an apprentice? Maybe it's time he looked into it. Might even get a subsidy from the govt, I think there's a new scheme coming to help the recovery.

Maybe someone who knows him could gently suggest it would be a good way to leave a legacy if he ever retires , and mean his customers can continue to receive support.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

gerlando
11-03-2021, 18:58
Has he ever had an apprentice? Maybe it's time he looked into it. Might even get a subsidy from the govt, I think there's a new scheme coming to help the recovery.

Maybe someone who knows him could gently suggest it would be a good way to leave a legacy if he ever retires , and mean his customers can continue to receive support.

Wise words...

IHP
11-03-2021, 20:16
Wise words...

A truly interesting idea. though ultimately none of our business. I've spoken to Rob at Amplabs and alluded to this, these skills are passing, and it's a terrible shame.

IHP
12-03-2021, 17:52
I'd just like to clarify my post above, I re-read it and it sounded snotty, which I certainly didn't mean ! The none of our business comment was meant as in it's a private commercial / business enterprise, that's all. But yes, when these craftsman of Hi-Fi retire, it's a great loss to us and indeed the UK.

I'm sure this applies to other specialist craft skills. I don't even know if we have Apprentice schemes anymore, these a great opportunities for particularly for our young who have the aptitude.

Anyway, hope that's cleared up ! I didn't want to sound like I had an issue :)

And GC, don't retire yet chap !

IHP
12-03-2021, 17:54
He is extremely busy just now.

Something to do with the chaps of Hi Fi who haven't been able to go the pub for a year and have money to spend I wonder :lol:

hifi_dave
13-03-2021, 14:47
Definitely. It's not just 'pub money' but holiday money and going to restaurant, theatre and cinema money.

It's been a very busy time since the first lockdown.

Pigmy Pony
14-03-2021, 09:41
Definitely. It's not just 'pub money' but holiday money and going to restaurant, theatre and cinema money.

It's been a very busy time since the first lockdown.

Absolutely, there's a lot of unspent holiday money knocking about. Anyone whose business depends on disposable income (and is able to trade) is have a super busy time. Customers just have to be mindful of possible quality control issues. I've come across this quite a lot with my suppliers these last few months.

IHP
23-03-2021, 13:49
I'm able to confirm GC is well and producing as I've just had a 25R delivered :). A wait was necessary and this is absolutely not a complaint and is completely understandable. You want hand built when parts are hard to get and demand goes up at the same time, you wait patiently !

hifi_dave
23-03-2021, 17:00
Glad you are enjoying your new 25r.

IHP
23-03-2021, 18:27
Glad you are enjoying your new 25r.

And an absolute pleasure to trade with you David ☺️

paul_cz
21-09-2021, 17:20
I came along the rumor today that Glenn is no longer in business – Can anyone confirm this? Does anyone have more info?

Bencat
22-09-2021, 09:27
As far as I have found out as I am trying to contact Glenn to look at my Croft OTL3 amps he has had some health issues but is fine . He does not take on any work during the cricket season and it seems does not answer any e-mails . He will most likely start up again in October and will amke another try then to get in touch . If I manage to get things in motion I will post back on here . I will also post if I find that he is as you say retired.

Marco
22-09-2021, 09:37
Knowing Glenn, I doubt he'll retire until he's too old or frail to pick up a soldering iron, lol!

And (beer tokens aside), as he's never been in it for the money and able to sustain himself when business isn't the best (with low overheads), I can't see him, health issues aside, going out of business anytime soon - and hopefully that's the case for a long time to come!:)

Marco.

struth
22-09-2021, 09:44
he stopped for a while before did he not.. maybe just had enough of it.

hifi_dave
22-09-2021, 10:43
I have regular deliveries.

Had 2 amps delivered yesterday.

No problem.

paul_cz
22-09-2021, 13:40
Thanks for your replies!
Good to hear that Glenn seems to be well and things seem to go as usual…
I am still a bit confused as I heard this rumor from a guy here in Germany – and strange enough a shop in Berlin (https://www.phonophono.de/hifi-elektronik/verstaerker/croft.html) is stating that Croft stopped production and the (former?) German distributor (https://www.inputaudio.de/) delisted Croft products…
Hm, let's wait and see…

hifi_dave
22-09-2021, 16:13
he stopped for a while before did he not.. maybe just had enough of it.

That was nothing to do with Glenn, it was all down to his 'distributor'.

IHP
25-09-2021, 06:39
Never mind panic buying petrol, I think we need to start stocking up on Croft amps ! :)

hifi_dave
25-09-2021, 14:15
I have a stock..:thumbsup: