PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: SME 3009 SII (Improved) Parts

Alex_UK
27-07-2010, 13:43
Hi gents, if anyone has any of the following kicking around that you'd be willing to sell please let me know: The weights are replacements for parts I already have but that have started to corrode, so looking for "as new" condition to try and restore my arm to mint. The headshell I lost (sure it's somewhere in the garage) and the bias guide I am only needing the little roller wheel if by some miracle you have one laying around but probably easier to replace the whole lot if not.

Main Counterweight
Tracking weight (The small one that sits on the wayrod)
Headshell/finger lift
Anti-Skate/Bias guide Rod/Roller

Thanks! :)

Stratmangler
27-07-2010, 13:48
SME should still have the lot in stock.
I'd drop them a line first.
More often than not they charge less than you'd pay on Ebay.

Alex_UK
27-07-2010, 13:55
Why didn't I think of that! :doh: (Oh yeah, 'cos I'm a "Vinyl Numpty"!)

Thanks Chris, I'll report back.

Stratmangler
27-07-2010, 14:28
People automatically think "old kit, therefore no new parts available from the manufacturer", which is not necessarily the case.

Fingers crossed with SME.

Alex_UK
27-07-2010, 14:30
Everything I am after (and a few more bits!) are on there, so I've emailed the sales dept., let's see what we get back. Cheers again Chris.

Techno Commander
27-07-2010, 14:36
Might be worth asking how much to send the whole arm to them for a bit of fettling.

Rare Bird
27-07-2010, 15:27
Hi gents, if anyone has any of the following kicking around that you'd be willing to sell please let me know: The weights are replacements for parts I already have but that have started to corrode, so looking for "as new" condition to try and restore my arm to mint. The headshell I lost (sure it's somewhere in the garage) and the bias guide I am only needing the little roller wheel if by some miracle you have one laying around but probably easier to replace the whole lot if not.

Main Counterweight
Tracking weight (The small one that sits on the wayrod)
Headshell/finger lift
Anti-Skate/Bias guide Rod/Roller

Thanks! :)

Can you post some picks as they may just want cleaning properly. Anodising is ment to stop corrosion...Do the parts looks like they have a kinda perminant water staining type effect on em?

Alex_UK
27-07-2010, 15:36
I can do - but it does look like they are corroding to me - there is actual "pitting" on the surface, I've tried proper cleaning in soapy water and some meths but it isn't shifting. I've ordered some Servisol 30 foam cleaner to try before giving up. I'll get my camera...

Rare Bird
27-07-2010, 15:42
I can do - but it does look like they are corroding to me - there is actual "pitting" on the surface, I've tried proper cleaning in soapy water and some meths but it isn't shifting. I've ordered some Servisol 30 foam cleaner to try before giving up. I'll get my camera...

Auto sol..Dont rub too hard but it will clean it off, then soapy water & polish

Alex_UK
27-07-2010, 15:48
Auto sol..Dont rub too hard but it will clean it off, then soapy water & polish

I have some in the garage I think, used to use it on my motor bike so I'll give that a go, thanks.

DSJR
27-07-2010, 16:03
Fleabay have loads of SME parts (the heavier counterweight [for the S2 Imp model] works well if you want to increase the mass of the tonearm - I can't remember which arm you have), but I don't know if SME supplied parts are very much dearer...

Instead of the blac-tac between cart and headshell, try a piece of green card-table baize instead. It transformed a V15 III I tried it with in an SME headshell.

Alex_UK
29-07-2010, 19:46
Here's the SME prices -

Balance Weight GBP 35.38
Rider Weight GBP 23.88
Bias Guide GBP 24.00
Headshell, Detachable GBP 85.00
Output Socket Coversion Kit GBP 216.00
P1 Spacer GBP 38.10

+VAT & postage

DSJR
29-07-2010, 20:00
They're having a laugh IMO. £216 for the phono conversion kit? £85 for an S2 headshell that cost £6 back in 1979 or thereablouts (wish my income had gone up by the same multiplier).

Alex, you can buy a COMPLETE Series 2 Imp tonearm for less than £216.....

I know it's great that you can still get practically all the parts new, but at least there are loads of bitsers out there so many parts are cheap on fleabay.

Gawd, about time SME came into the *hard-up* 21st Century instead of living off a reputation (well earned I admit).

Stratmangler
29-07-2010, 20:06
The output socket conversion kit looks a bit pricey, the rest is not significantly more expensive than Ebay "buy it now" parts.

Alex_UK
29-07-2010, 20:22
Put it this way, I shall be trying a lot harder to restore the parts I still have, and looking to ebay for the others - no mad rush, I'm only after improving the cosmetics...

DSJR
29-07-2010, 20:34
That phono socket conversion is beautifully done I admit, but £216?????? :(

There's another I've seen on ebay for well under £30 from the US and although not as elegant, it looks good to me.

The SME I have coming is with the original 4 pin plug and socket (horizontal entry though). I'll just have to get the silver-dip out to clean the pins :)

Alex_UK
29-07-2010, 20:42
There's another I've seen on ebay for well under £30 from the US and although not as elegant, it looks good to me.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200495666302&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_562wt_1137

I think it was the one I posted in my other 401 thread: $30 delivered = £19.23. = No-brainer (and duly ordered :))