PDA

View Full Version : AoS member in search of a new title

Barry
26-07-2010, 22:28
Having been a member for about 18 months, I notice that I'm rapidly approaching my 2,500th post.

It seems that members can apply for a less prosaic title at any time, and I thought that perhaps I should do so. I mentioned this in passing a while back and Alex (UK) has agreed; not only should I have a new title, but that he would think of one for me.

Hence my misappropriating and paraphrasing the title of one of Pirandello's plays: 'Six Characters in Search of an Author'. Pirandello was ranked alongside Brecht and Beckett, and is now rightly regarded as being a seminal contributor to 'The Theatre of The Absurd'.

So this is an open invitation for suggestions. To save some time I have considered, and rejected, the following (despite there being some truth in some of them):

Sonic Screwdriver
Hi Fi Nerd
Insufferable Objectivist/Reductionist
Anachrophile
Oenophiliac Snob
Grumpy Old Man
'What's this music lark? - I only listen to test tones!'
Quad Fanatic
Garrulous, Sesquipedalian and Loquacious Poster

I'm open to all suggestions - but please remember this is a family friendly forum.

Regards

Marco
26-07-2010, 22:35
Open-minded Objectivist and Purveyor of Plonk?

:eyebrows:

Marco.

Barry
26-07-2010, 22:38
Open-minded Objectivist and Purveyor of Plonk?

Marco.

Yes, I could live with that! :)

Any more suggestions?

Cheers

Marco
26-07-2010, 22:44
Amiable Cable Sceptic?

:)

Actually, I think that 'Open-minded Objectivist' on its own is rather good.

Marco.

Alex_UK
26-07-2010, 22:47
We need to get a "cosy" in there somewhere and/or a "retro" ;)

The Grand Wazoo
26-07-2010, 22:48
Manufacturer of the Giant-Slaying Barry D. Hunterconnect

Marco
26-07-2010, 22:51
We need to get a "cosy" in there somewhere and/or a "retro"

Retro Reprobate Sponsored by Cosyfit (it's an age thing).

:lol:

Marco.

The Grand Wazoo
26-07-2010, 22:55
"He's Not the Messiah, He's A Very Naughty Boy"

http://dogsbollocksgolf.co.uk/Members/Pictures/naughtyboy.jpg

The Grand Wazoo
26-07-2010, 22:58
Scrotum, The Wrinkled Retainer

http://www.charismafilms.net/images/New%20Web%20Pictures/Sirhenrydvd.jpg

.........OK, maybe just 'Wrinkled Retainer'

Marco
26-07-2010, 22:59
Quirky QUADregenarian?

Marco.

The Grand Wazoo
26-07-2010, 23:06
Barry, it absolutely has to be from Sir Henry:
"I don't know what I want but I want it now"

Marco
26-07-2010, 23:06
Scrotum, The Wrinkled Retainer

http://www.charismafilms.net/images/New%20Web%20Pictures/Sirhenrydvd.jpg

.........OK, maybe just 'Wrinkled Retainer'

Don't get that one.... :scratch:

(Mind you, I haven't seen the film).

Marco.

The Grand Wazoo
26-07-2010, 23:09
It's from an album by Vivian Stanshall (from the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band), called 'Sir Henry At Rawlinson End' & it's stuffed full of hilarity - Sir Henry's 'man' is called Old Scrotum, the wrinkled retainer. Barry & I are both fans.

Marco
26-07-2010, 23:15
Ah, I see :)

I think the problem you'd have there is that it's somewhat obscure and thus few people would relate to it.

Perhaps that's a good thing, though, if one seeks to be cryptic....

Another to throw into the mix: 'Captain Retro & Gimpmeister' ;)

Marco.

Barry
26-07-2010, 23:40
Thanks guys,

These are all good suggestions and have made me laugh. Have to confess that I do like the 'Sir Henry' reference. But there's time yet, and it doesn't have to be for the 2,500th post. The 3,000th might perhaps be more appropriate.

Keep 'em coming.

Cheers

Marco
26-07-2010, 23:47
[Barry]

'He's Quad-tastically 57'.

Marco.

goraman
27-07-2010, 06:32
Picky Ass.
(Suggested with love.)

When my day comes I like the one Marco used to discribe me.
(Mad as a box of frogs)
I never heard that one before but I love it.

The Grand Wazoo
27-07-2010, 06:50
(Mad as a box of frogs)

Different but not unrelated to my preferred 'mad as a bag of badgers'

goraman
27-07-2010, 07:26
I like that one too.

Happy as a 6 arm shit flingin monkey.

I made that one up after a trip to the Sacramento zoo.
Little buggers can really keep you dodgeing poop with only 2 arms.
I love to see smart ass little kids get a face full when teaseing them.

Marco
27-07-2010, 12:25
(Mad as a box of frogs)

Done! :)

Like I said, members can have their user titles changed to something more bespoke (providing it's 'family friendly') at any time - well let's say once they amass over 100 posts, minimum, and thus become a 'Senior Member'. All one then has to do is ask!

Marco.

Marco
27-07-2010, 13:04
[Barry]

'Bon Vivant & Vintage Sex God'.

Marco.

quadsugdenman
27-07-2010, 14:47
(Barry)
'Strictly an L -Man' (Liquor, Love and Larfs) :cool: :eyebrows::D

Good 'ol Viv Stanshall lyric

The Vinyl Adventure
27-07-2010, 14:53
Happy as a 6 arm shit flingin monkey.

genius!

The Vinyl Adventure
27-07-2010, 15:02
id quite like to be changed "Active Evangelist"
Neil said i was starting to sound like an evangelist when i was talking about my speakers on telelephone tother day.... and it gives me an excuse to harp on about them a bit more :)

sorry to steal your thread barry... i cant come up with anything clever for you :(

Rare Bird
27-07-2010, 16:16
[Barry]

'Bon Vivant & Vintage Sex God'.

There's only one sex god around these parts ;)

Marco
27-07-2010, 16:38
Yes, but Barry is an earlier vintage for the more mature ladies :eyebrows:

Marco.

Marco
27-07-2010, 16:39
id quite like to be changed "Active Evangelist"
Neil said i was starting to sound like an evangelist when i was talking about my speakers on telelephone tother day.... and it gives me an excuse to harp on about them a bit more :)

Done, daftee!

Marco.

Jonboy
27-07-2010, 17:31
Barry

" Fountain of Knowledge "

Marco
27-07-2010, 17:35
Don't you fancy a new title, Jon? :)

Marco.

Jonboy
27-07-2010, 17:37
yes that would be nice, i'm havin a think at the moment

Beechwoods
27-07-2010, 17:37
Barry will get this one:

'Built Like A Battleship'

;)

The Vinyl Adventure
27-07-2010, 17:40
Barry

" Fountain of Knowledge "

i was thinking of something like that... something that doesnt just cover hifi... hes always poping up with some random indepth knowledge on even the most random stuff

The Vinyl Adventure
27-07-2010, 17:40
Done, daftee!

Marco.

ta very mooch

Jonboy
27-07-2010, 17:43
How about "Practising Alcoholic" for me

Marco
27-07-2010, 17:46
Eees yoorz! :)

Marco.

Jonboy
27-07-2010, 17:46
i was thinking of something like that... something that doesnt just cover hifi... hes always poping up with some random indepth knowledge on even the most random stuff

What about "The Oracle"

Jonboy
27-07-2010, 17:47
Eees yoorz! :)

Marco.

I'm Chuffed, cheers Matey

The Vinyl Adventure
27-07-2010, 17:51
What about "The Oracle"

yeah... Martix Style :eyebrows::lol:

i just read yours as "parasitic alcoholic" ...

Jonboy
27-07-2010, 18:02
i just read yours as "parasitic alcoholic" ...

I do like to find a "host" and empty their wallet :eyebrows:

aquapiranha
27-07-2010, 18:44
Witchfinder General

:smoking:

Alex_UK
27-07-2010, 21:02
"The Oracle" is a good one for Barry. (I thought I was good with words until I saw some of the gargantuan vocabulary Barry has panegyrised! ;)

goraman
27-07-2010, 22:03
Thank you Marco I love it!!!

Alex_UK
27-07-2010, 22:13
I suits you! ;)

Alex_UK
27-07-2010, 22:14
Witchfinder General

Is that a request for yourself Steve?

aquapiranha
27-07-2010, 22:25
Is that a request for yourself Steve?

Yes do you like? :)

Alex_UK
27-07-2010, 22:39
Well it will certainly scare off any more "Shippy's" should they even think about it! :lol: Yes, suits you, sir! ;)

goraman
28-07-2010, 02:37
I like it Steve ! very creative and funny too!

goraman
28-07-2010, 02:41
Hey!Hey! look Here! Hey! Do it,Do it now!Hey, after you get it running don't stop when its over ,just let it go! and watch!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZN5PoW7_kdA
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/4231360/annoying_orange_gets_autotuned/

Barry
28-07-2010, 21:37
Greetings Gentlemen

Thanks for all your suggestions for my new ‘handle’. It’s clear that you have given it some thought and they have variously made me laugh or have flattered me with a status which is undeserved and even if true, modesty would not allow me to accept.

In gratitude of your efforts, I feel I ought to examine each and comment on the appropriateness or otherwise of the suggested titles.

Open-minded Objectivist (and Purvey of Plonk)
I like this and do like to think that I am open-minded. Purveyor of Plonk? – well, only if there are attractive offers on decent bottles of wine that are worthy of passing on to the Membership. On reflection, perhaps a little too serious.

Amiable Cable Sceptic
True, but a little restrictive.

Wrinkled Retainer
No comment! And too arcane, but it did make me laugh.

Captain Retro and Gimpmeister
Now Marco, you’re just envious that when I had a sleepover in your hallowed listening room, the Gimp came out to play from behind the ‘little white door’ between your speakers.

Bon Vivant and Vintage Sex God
Well the first is an aspiration but the second? Vintage maybe, but sex-god? –No. Anyway, I’d prefer to leave the status and duties of a Lothario to André.

Fountain of Knowledge
If it had been ‘Fountain of Trivia and Other Useless Information’, that would have been quite close to the mark. I’m greatly attracted to and have a propensity to remember trivia. However this does make me sound a bit like one of those guys you sometimes find propping up the bar in pubs, just waiting to inform you with ‘interesting’ facts such as: “Did you know there is no word in the English language that rhymes with ‘orange’?” Or “Do you know that the velocity of an average sneeze is 100mph?” Best relegated to the Balderdash and Piffle section.

Fountain of Knowledge, is highly flattering, but even if it were true, which it’s not, sounds arrogant and aloof.

Built Like A Battleship
Thanks Nick. I recognise the attribution, but does this refer to me? I think my lack of corporeal bulk precludes me from accepting this title.

The Oracle
Again a flattering suggestion, but not quite appropriate for reasons I’ll explain. There are several reasons why I wouldn’t be of much help if I were the Oracle. The first is that the Oracle at Delphi could only be consulted once a month. Perhaps members might prefer that I only posted once a month. The second is that in order to provide an answer the Sybil, or chief prophetess at Delphi, would go into the inner sanctum of the temple and sit on a stool situated over a fissure in the ground, out of which emerged sweet smelling fumes and vapours. The sybil would then go into an ecstatic trance and start making odd verbal noises and talk nonsense. This was though to the voice of the gods (but it has been speculated that the fumes contained ethylene, a sweet smelling gas that can cause violent hallucinations). It was the function of the priest to translate and interpret the ‘answer’ from the gods. It was usually given in hexameter verse and was always ambiguous and enigmatic. Herodotus gives some interesting examples of where the Oracle’s reply turned out to be true, but not in the way the client expected. Now I can’t write Alexandrian hexameter and I wouldn’t want to be ambiguous or enigmatic. Sorry Alex, nice suggestion and I appreciate the intent, but I can’t accept (gargantuan panegyric indeed!)

Well as this is my 2,500th post, I’m going to have to decide for myself. I was taken by Chris’s ‘Sir Henry’ suggestion. Now since I do have a very wide taste in music, the following paraphrasing of one of Sir Henry’s sayings is, for me, often true. So Marco may I please have the following title:

“I don’t know what I want to listen to, but I want to hear it -Now!”

Thanks, and thanks again to everyone for their suggestions.

aquapiranha
28-07-2010, 21:43
Well it will certainly scare off any more "Shippy's" should they even think about it! :lol: Yes, suits you, sir! ;)

Lol Alex. To be honest, I like it because Vincent Price is my hero! I loved him in all the cheesy roles he played from Phibes to John Hopkins. I doubt we will ever come across another character like shippy again... :lol:

EDIt: Ohh! Ohh! I see some kind soul has changed it for me! many thanks to whomever did that for me!

The Grand Wazoo
28-07-2010, 22:49
.........the following paraphrasing of one of Sir Henry’s sayings is, for me, often true. So Marco may I please have the following title:

“I don’t know what I want to listen to, but I want to hear it -Now!”

A very apt twist on a phrase that's used in this house all the time Barry.

Alex_UK
29-07-2010, 20:34
Congratulations on your new title Barry - I think it fits perfectly! (ditto Steve!)

Stratmangler
29-07-2010, 20:40
Witchfinder General

Surely "Witchsmeller Persuivant" would be a tad more left field ?

Reid Malenfant
01-08-2010, 19:07
Having hit 100 posts i'll have to come up with something rather than senior member. Just sounds too close to "old dick" to me :lol:

Of course i'm open to suggestions so we can all have a good laugh ;)

Final decision rests here though obviously 2371

Beechwoods
01-08-2010, 20:22
Heh heh heh :whistle:

Reid Malenfant
01-08-2010, 20:31
Heh heh heh :whistle:
Wassup? 2373

:lol:

Beechwoods
01-08-2010, 20:39
:scratch:

No idea what you're talking about ;)

The Grand Wazoo
01-08-2010, 22:13
Now it should be 'Not so senior member who's having a senior moment'

Reid Malenfant
02-08-2010, 18:00
I just noticed the new added bit :scratch: Actually i quite like it, it can stay like that for a while ;) Thanks for the upgrade :)

I think i was having a bit of an alchohol moment actually, it was getting on & i'd had my quota. So my apologies for having a 'senior moment, as TGW mentioned, at the time senile might have been more accurate :o :drinking: