PDA

View Full Version : Garrard 401 installing the 60Hz pulley

F575M
21-12-2020, 00:09
Chaps,

I am having plenty of difficulty adjusting the 60Hz pulley, anyone on this forum is using a 401 fitted with 60hz pulley?

Cheers,

Horacio

Wakefield Turntables
21-12-2020, 08:48
Hi what are having trouble with ?

F575M
21-12-2020, 19:21
It starts very slowly and needs to be rotated by hand till it reaches the right speed. The deck has been serviced in the UK but came with a 50Hz pulley, it is in mint condition.

WullieD20
21-12-2020, 22:39
Although the TT is assumed to be in "mint condition", there is obviously something amiss!

Do you have a manual for the 401? These are readily available on line and you should run through the obvious to eliminate simple stuff.... Does the platter rotate freely when the drive mechanism is isolated (switched off)? Or is the brake pad binding at all? Are you happy that the motor (capstan spindle) rotates freely with no power applied and runs up to speed when power is applied with the platter removed?
If these basics look to be okay is the capstan engaging properly with the idler wheel at the correct height / clearance when power is applied (with the platter removed)?
Any of these issues could contribute to your problem, but a read through the manual may point you to alternative tests to find your problem.
Have you been back in touch with the person in the UK that serviced your TT?

Hope something there may help you......

F575M
22-12-2020, 20:31
Thanks for the suggestion. The owners manual is of little help. Fortunately, googling 401 pulleys I realized that my pulley's collar was to high. Everything is fine now.

Cheers,