PDA

View Full Version : This week at the car boot sale

Mothman
26-07-2010, 11:59
As someone who usualy attends the local car boot sale I thought I'd start a thread to list any weekly Hifi spots. In truth most of the stuff tends to be low to midfi really but I thought as a bit of fun it miight be of interest to start a list to give an idea of what turns up and the prices:-

2 weeks ago

Sansui AU-505 Amp - £5
Sansui TU-505 tuner - £5
Sansui SP-2000 speakers - £5
Rogers LS5 speakers - £50

This week

Royd Squire speakers £15
Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 speakers - £10
Technics SLD2 direct drive turntable - £5

This is a list of stuff I've seen and not stuff I've bought. Prices given are the intital asking price before any negotiation:).

Alex_UK
26-07-2010, 12:07
I have never seen any proper separates apart from one Technics double-cassette deck at the two sites I have tried in Ipswich... :( (Can only assume there's a dealer goes round very early? Or maybe it's because electricity has only just got this far East?!)

Mind, you I would have bought everything on your list if I had seen it so probably just as well! :lol:

Did well on records and CDs yesterday though. As mentioned on the Spinning now, picked up a 1st press Factory Sample mono copy of Rubber Soul for 50p :)

DSJR
26-07-2010, 13:54
Just returned from the mayhem that is Ipswich town centre. First thing was to find that Cash Converters has moved from it's large premises into a tiny (by comparison) shop in a back street... Fancied an "Oggie Oggie" but didn't in the end and sonny-jim was getting stroppy (we only went to get some school uniform bits for him :steam:)

sparrow
26-07-2010, 16:12
Please excuse my ignorance Dave but whats an oggie oggie?

DSJR
26-07-2010, 16:25
It's a pasty shop in Ipswich town centre (one of two or three I've found). Can't beat a good pasty on boring shopping trips ;)

The Grand Wazoo
26-07-2010, 16:50
I thought a pasty was a tiggie oggie?

Reid Malenfant
26-07-2010, 18:06
:lol: I love car boot sales ;) My Aiwa record deck was bought at a car boot, i thought the guy was joking when he said 'I hope your car is near here', it weighs nearly 2 stone :eek:

I have still got tons of hifi stuff bought from boot sales, i used to fix the stuff & then sell it. It's surprising how much stuff actually works though ;) Alas i can't get to them any more, probably a good job as i'd still be buying stuff :doh:

Spur07
26-07-2010, 18:58
As someone who usualy attends the local car boot sale I thought I'd start a thread to list any weekly Hifi spots. In truth most of the stuff tends to be low to midfi really but I thought as a bit of fun it miight be of interest to start a list to give an idea of what turns up and the prices:-

2 weeks ago

Sansui AU-505 Amp - £5
Sansui TU-505 tuner - £5
Sansui SP-2000 speakers - £5
Rogers LS5 speakers - £50

This week

Royd Squire speakers £15
Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 speakers - £10
Technics SLD2 direct drive turntable - £5

This is a list of stuff I've seen and not stuff I've bought. Prices given are the intital asking price before any negotiation:).

I love car booties, but i've never seen any 'serious' hifi on my sorties. Trouble is you have to get there right at the start - all the good stuff goes in the first half hour. Those Royd Squires are a bit of find for £15/10 - couldn't pick them up for me? :)

ronjakcs65
27-07-2010, 18:49
Hello All.
Just wondered if anyone on AOS is interested in the above amp
for free? it is exellent cosmetically,but the left channel is AWOL ,blown output resistor maybe?I am not physically capable of repairing it myself more`s the pity.The only proviso is the amp must be picked up from Hull east
york`s,come on lad`s i would have to tip it .

Cheer`s

Ron

Spectral Morn
27-07-2010, 19:03
I picked up an Elizabeathan mono valve reel to reel from a local Cancer charity shop on Saturday. It works, sounds quite nice from its one built-in speaker and has come with a mic, original sale label and a few reels of Scotch 3M tape.

I had a gut feeling if I kept calling in with this shop that someday a reel to reel would show up. Apparently I missed another one during the week but the guy in the shop said it had not been working properly. Sadly he could not tell me what it had been.

I am hoping there are some nice valves in it :eyebrows: I left it in the S/H bookshop I work in, as I didn't fancy carrying it to the train station.

Regards D S D L

Beechwoods
27-07-2010, 21:54
Neil... here's a little titbit about Elizabethan - their machines were pretty common through the late 50's and 60's - as evidenced by the number cropping up on eBay now and again!

Van der Molen Ltd, 1 Mildmay Road, Romford, Essex (in 1971). Later, at 101 Hainault Road, Romford, Essex. Maker of audio equipment. Established by Mr Van der Molen, circa 1965-67, at 42 Mawney Road, Romford, Essex. who was previously with Elizabethan (tape recorders).

I have some brochures for some of their equipment in my collection, including an overgrown version of a Philips EL3301 (early) cassette recorder!

EAP (Tape Recorders) Ltd. Originally established at Kingsland Road, London, in 1952 by H Lubin & S Larholt for the purpose of making TV test equipment, which was not a success. In 1955, they relocated to larger premises at 9 Field Place, St John Street, London, EC1. In 1955, they were using the “Elizabethan” brand for their tape recorders. In 1957 they introduced am FM tuner unit.

In August 1957, they relocated again, to a larger and new factory at Bridge Close, Oldchurch Road, Romford, Essex. In 1960, the name was changed to Elizabethan (Tape Recorders) Ltd, same location (in the same year, they offered the “Corsair” transistor radio). Elizabethan (Tape Recorders) Ltd, Crow Lane, Romford, Essex (in 1964 & 68). Tape recorders.

In 1965, the name changed to Elizabethan Electronics Ltd, to reflect their entry into other fields of electronics.

By 1970, the Elizabethan brand was later acquired by John E Dallas & Sons Ltd. They imported Hitachi products, badged “Elizabethan” for sale in the UK. Probably the same as Dallas wholesalers, Dallas Building, Clifton Street, London, EC2 (in 1960). I recall servicing a 12" ac/dc mono portable TV badged "Elizabethan".

From the UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration (http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?p=80510) forum. Thanks Dazzlevision!

Spectral Morn
27-07-2010, 22:50
Neil... here's a little titbit about Elizabethan - their machines were pretty common through the late 50's and 60's - as evidenced by the number cropping up on eBay now and again!

From the UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration (http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?p=80510) forum. Thanks Dazzlevision!

Hi Nick

Thanks for the info.

It was very cheap and I hoped there might be some nice valves in it.

I already have a Grundig portable but I can't get to the valves (it came with Telefunken :eyebrows:fitted as standard) in it without wrecking it and I would prefer not to :doh: so hopefully this will be easier. I think it will have Mullards in it.

Regards D S D L

Mothman
08-08-2010, 11:30
Huge boot sale this week but slim pickings

Mission Speaker Stands £5.00

Technics Turntable (black from a system I guess) £3.00

Roth Audioblob 2.1 multimedia system £10.00
(looked reasonable quality & brand new in box)

Spur07
08-08-2010, 13:27
Huge boot sale this week but slim pickings

Mission Speaker Stands £5.00

Technics Turntable (black from a system I guess) £3.00

Roth Audioblob 2.1 multimedia system £10.00
(looked reasonable quality & brand new in box)

Mothman, my heart bleeds :)

do you have to get there really early to catch the bargains? At my best local bootie all the good stuff goes in the first 10 minutes!

Effem
08-08-2010, 14:48
Mr "Eagle Eye" lives in Berkshire - no wonder he's picking up some nice hi-fi goodies cheap :eyebrows:

I went to a Cornish boot sale a few weeks back and I saw a Technics SL1200 that was a real shed, with plenty of rust, a busted arm and parts missing. The clown who was selling it asked for £200 saying "They fetch over £300 on ebay you know" but THAT particular one certainly wouldn't. The bag of shit I was looking at needed that much to make it barely presentable :(

Mothman
08-08-2010, 14:51
Paul, my local boot fair is not an early start, they don't let sellers in until about 9.00am and buyers in from around 9.45am. I really can't be bothered with getting there first thing and will only tend to buy if it's something I need or which I know is a bargain. I don't think you get many dealers there but then maybe theyv'e taken all the good stuff before I get there, guess I'll never know.

I did get a Sansui AU-505 amp the other week but it was dead when I got it home, however a fellow forumer "smurfbrain" kindly gave it a clean for me and adjusted the bias (what ever that is) and hey presto it works a treat. Great amp and listening to it as I type, probably the the best £2 I've ever spent :).

http://theartofsound.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=54&pictureid=323

Only kicking myself that I didn't pick up the matching tuner and speakers at the same time. Probably should have also bought the Royd Squires speakers I saw a couple of weeks ago:mental: but hey you live and learn.

Mothman
08-08-2010, 15:11
Mr "Eagle Eye" lives in Berkshire - no wonder he's picking up some nice hi-fi goodies cheap :eyebrows:
:(

Frank, this is only stuff I've seen and not stuff I've bought (other than the Sansui Amp), I'm lucky that my local boot fair is a big one with lots of sellers which means there is more chance of findiing something. Maybe I ought to buy more of the stuff I see but I never seem to have much luck selling gear on fleabay and also I don't know how to fix stuff if I find it's not working when I get it home. Also like you say much of the stuff at boot fairs tends to not to be in the best of nick.

Spur07
08-08-2010, 15:33
Mothman, what a bargain for £2! looks great in your pic.

My local bootie starts at 8am I think, sellers start pitching up at 7.30. Last time I went I had been out all night at a friends birthday party and decided not to bother going to bed. I got there thinking I'd be one of the first but it was bloody packed! There are people that do this kind of general bargain hunting as a serious hobby.

Trust me, you really should have snapped up those Squires.

I recently found out I've got to two companies/shops within 5 mins drive of my house that can repair/renovate/modify hi-fi which is a bit of a result i suppose.

Mothman
08-08-2010, 16:44
There is a small dent in the front left hand side wood panel which you can't really see in the photo but other than that it cleaned up pretty nice for a 38yr old amp.

Effem
08-08-2010, 22:15
I used to pick up some really nice stuff very cheap down at the local recycling centres in Basingstoke and down here in Cornwall and most of it worked fine. That was until a french company won the contract and all of it goes into the landfill now, apart from the really choice gear which is sold on to dealers.

Frank, this is only stuff I've seen and not stuff I've bought (other than the Sansui Amp), I'm lucky that my local boot fair is a big one with lots of sellers which means there is more chance of findiing something. Maybe I ought to buy more of the stuff I see but I never seem to have much luck selling gear on fleabay and also I don't know how to fix stuff if I find it's not working when I get it home. Also like you say much of the stuff at boot fairs tends to not to be in the best of nick.

nat8808
16-08-2010, 10:54
Unfortunately I think that London carboot sales are devoid of good electronics these days. Too many nerds and collectors and internet savvy people in one place!

Mothman
05-09-2010, 14:44
Not been much of late due to hols ect. Put in a appearance today but saw nothing in the way of any seperates. However a freind at work is looking for a set of speaker stands so I took a flyer and got him these today for £3.50. Though not the last word in quality they don't look too bad and are in good nick, just a shame the floor spikes were missing.

http://theartofsound.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=54&pictureid=341

If he doesn't like them it's no great loss.

Beobloke
06-09-2010, 12:13
I went to our local booty for the first time in ages yesterday and bought a nice Sony CF-620 'casseiver' for a friend for £2. I managed to resist a Pye (Philips) turntable, a pair of Soundlab DJ turntables and some ropey Monitor Audio R252s with no grilles.

An allegedly working original Philips Laservision player with 10 discs was harder to walk away from but in the end I felt £25 was too big a risk. It would have been even easier to dismiss had one of the films not been 'Airplane', though!

gooner
20-09-2010, 19:20
I had the good fortune to pick up a Pye HF/10 Mozart amp a month or so back,it had been put into an old Radiogram after the original amp had failed,the owner had cut a hole in the front and stuffed the Pye in there.The seller was amazed when i said in only want the amp and you can keep the rest,i was on my moped so i couldn't have carried the whole thing home,a bargain at £10.00,sold for £450.00 on Ebay.By the way it worked first go and had all original Mullard valves,sweet.

Alex_UK
20-09-2010, 22:13
XG63OtsKC7k

ronjakcs65
28-12-2010, 18:50
My son Lives in Newbury Berkshire he asked me if youre local carboot sale is the Blackbush market & CARBOOT.Thank`s
Ron