PDA

View Full Version : WTD - Primaluna Prologue or Evo

RichB
03-12-2020, 09:52
Interested in giving one of these a go. Looking for a nice example.

hifinutt
03-12-2020, 10:31
probably sold but here is a pre amp

https://www.audioemotion.co.uk/primaluna-evolution-400-pre-amplifier--mm-phonostage-25006-p.asp

RichB
03-12-2020, 18:59
probably sold but here is a pre amp

https://www.audioemotion.co.uk/primaluna-evolution-400-pre-amplifier--mm-phonostage-25006-p.asp

Thanks for that but its an integrated I'm looking for.

Pigmy Pony
03-12-2020, 19:23
I got to hear their Evo integrated the other day (cheers Jac Hawk) and it is pretty special imo :)

RichB
03-12-2020, 20:09
I got to hear their Evo integrated the other day (cheers Jac Hawk) and it is pretty special imo :)

I recall hearing a prologue a couple of years ago at NEBO and its been on my list since.

hifinutt
04-12-2020, 17:10

yes , midland audio sell the prima luna and its on my bucket list to try , however the present system is sounding pretty damm good so no rush

Pigmy Pony
04-12-2020, 18:49
I recall hearing a prologue a couple of years ago at NEBO and its been on my list since.

I expect Mike will be taking his Evo up to the next NEBO, but that could be a while off yet :(

brainz2000
17-12-2020, 22:13
I have a Primaluna I am looking to move on. I’d love it to a good home as it no longer fits into the plan for our home. It is a great sounding amp.

Let me look out some details of it at the weekend and post them so you can see if you are interested.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jac Hawk
18-12-2020, 09:02

That's why i bought mine mate, got my evo 400 integrated from HiFi Corner in Edinburgh they really did me a fantastic deal. i'll be taking it to the next NEBO as Steve "pigmy pony" said but i can't see that happening until the middle of next year TBH

Qwin
18-12-2020, 13:03
Hi Rich, I see Mr Petch has also gone the Primaluna route, with separate Pre/Power.

Floyddroid
18-12-2020, 13:11
Hi Rich, I see Mr Petch has also gone the Primaluna route, with separate Pre/Power.

Indeedly doodly. I had a PL Prologue inegrated about ten years back and always regretted getting rid of it. Loving the ones i have.

Bourney
18-12-2020, 21:19
I'm running a dialogue 2, hated it with kt88s but its superb with EL34s and is very responsive to signal valves tweakery. Ridiculously heavy and the remote makes a good weapon!

RichB
19-12-2020, 09:55
I have a Primaluna I am looking to move on. I’d love it to a good home as it no longer fits into the plan for our home. It is a great sounding amp.

Let me look out some details of it at the weekend and post them so you can see if you are interested.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just seen this... definitely let me have details when you can.

RichB
19-12-2020, 09:57
Indeedly doodly. I had a PL Prologue inegrated about ten years back and always regretted getting rid of it. Loving the ones i have.

Thanks guys.. the Schiit Freya + is also on my list id like to try. Did you get get one Ken?

Jac Hawk
19-12-2020, 10:08
I'm running a dialogue 2, hated it with kt88s but its superb with EL34s and is very responsive to signal valves tweakery. Ridiculously heavy and the remote makes a good weapon!

Yeh the remote like the rest of the amp is built to last, i was surprised when i got mine that there was no instructions (not that i needed them) or a pack of batteries for the remote but apart from that i couldn't be happier, the Evo400i that i have has plenty of power on tap too so should be up to the task of driving some really awkward loads.

out of interest what's your budget Rich? i ask because i didn't think i could afford mine new as it was £4600 at the time, i was interested in an ex display dialogue premium integrated, but they did me such a good deal

RichB
19-12-2020, 10:48
Yeh the remote like the rest of the amp is built to last, i was surprised when i got mine that there was no instructions (not that i needed them) or a pack of batteries for the remote but apart from that i couldn't be happier, the Evo400i that i have has plenty of power on tap too so should be up to the task of driving some really awkward loads.

out of interest what's your budget Rich? i ask because i didn't think i could afford mine new as it was £4600 at the time, i was interested in an ex display dialogue premium integrated, but they did me such a good deal

I'm pretty flexible on budget Mike, for the right thing... having said that i'd rather not be paying brand new dealer price and would prefer a nice nearly new or lightly used item. Hence my ask here. It certainly isn't £4.5k ;)

brainz2000
03-01-2021, 21:59
Just following up - I have got mine out of storage and can share the following

PrimaLuna Prologue One - one of the original ones - fully working with a KT88 complement of valves rather than the original EL34s, but supplied with a box of spare valves for you to try Tube Rolling with (including EL34s)

https://i.postimg.cc/FKFG28h6/B5-F5-E9-AB-3-A9-E-4113-B895-37-C663-FC0394.jpg

I am looking for £700 collected from South Manchester where I can demo it working.

This is priced to sell but is not open for wider offers unless you don't want it RichB.

(Bourney and I have done business a couple of times if you need a reference)

More pictures can be found in the album here (https://postimg.cc/gallery/LYZXxZy)

Let me know if you are interested please.

RichB
04-01-2021, 18:46
Just following up - I have got mine out of storage and can share the following

PrimaLuna Prologue One - one of the original ones - fully working with a KT88 complement of valves rather than the original EL34s, but supplied with a box of spare valves for you to try Tube Rolling with (including EL34s)

https://i.postimg.cc/FKFG28h6/B5-F5-E9-AB-3-A9-E-4113-B895-37-C663-FC0394.jpg

I am looking for £700 collected from South Manchester where I can demo it working.

This is priced to sell but is not open for wider offers unless you don't want it RichB.

(Bourney and I have done business a couple of times if you need a reference)

More pictures can be found in the album here (https://postimg.cc/gallery/LYZXxZy)

Let me know if you are interested please.

Sending PM mate.

Jimbo
04-01-2021, 20:59
Are you getting into valves Rich?:)

RichB
05-01-2021, 00:12
Are you getting into valves Rich?:)

Yes, with very little else going on at the moment the expense and inconvenience seems appealing.:lol:

Floyddroid
05-01-2021, 06:08
Great amp that Rich, i had one years ago and bitterly regret selling it. Have his hand off.

Jimbo
05-01-2021, 06:13
Yes, with very little else going on at the moment the expense and inconvenience seems appealing.:lol:

Excellent, looks like a good move as I hear the Primaluna amps amps are very good indeed. Enjoy!

Bourney
05-01-2021, 07:11
As a transition into using valve amps, I dont think you could have chosen anything better. Fuss free, reliable and not too much of a swing away from the power and good bits that come from using solid state amplification. Enjoy ��
Oh and deal with Tim with confidence. A very genuine chap who is a pleasure to deal with.

RichB
05-01-2021, 08:04
Anyone making a journey from Manchester to the North East? Need to call upon the AoS taxi. Happy to cover expenses and contribution for the driver.

Qwin
05-01-2021, 09:18
Thanks guys.. the Schiit Freya + is also on my list id like to try. Did you get get one Ken?

Hi Rich, sorry for not replying, I just noticed your question.

Yes, I got the Freya+, had to order a UK spec version off their USA website.
I see Schiit UK have them back in stock now, after an absence of nearly a year.

It is everything I could want from a Pre Amp and my keeper.
Two balanced and Three SE inputs.
One Balanced and Two SE outputs, which are active simultaneously, handy for Bi Amping and/or adding a Sub.
Choice of Passive, JFET Buffer with gain of 1 (0dB), or Valve with gain of 4 (+12dB) operation.
Relay-switched 128 step attenuator.
Very quite in use, not just for a valve Pre, comparable with good solid state.

Valve mode sounds best in my set up and this level of gain suits my other gear. I use JFET mode when running other gear in, to reduce the valve hours, which is handy. Note in JFET and Valve mode it converts Balanced to SE and vice versa so you could use a SE phono stage and output Balanced to a power Amp for instance.

It sounds fantastic, the stock valves are pretty good, but you can tweak the sound by rolling different 6SN7 valves. I acquired a pair of 1943 US Signal Core issue, Ken-Rad VT231 from Malaysia and use them in the output. These have the reputation of being King of Bass for 6SN7's and don't disappoint.

If you want a feature rich valve Pre, there is not much to touch it, anywhere near the price. ;)

RichB
05-01-2021, 15:25
Have just took the plunge on an ex demo Evo 100. Now sorted. Thanks guys.

hifi_dave
06-01-2021, 10:56
Thanks for that but its an integrated I'm looking for.

I have just listed a new Evo 400 at £3475.

Qwin
13-03-2021, 17:17
Have just took the plunge on an ex demo Evo 100. Now sorted. Thanks guys.

How do you like the EVO 100 Rich?

I just pulled the trigger on a NOS Prologue 4 (Power Amp) to run my Mids/Twts but it wont arrive till next week.