PDA

View Full Version : Microphony

John
25-07-2010, 18:49
Rather than hijack Mike thread I thought I share my thoughts around microphony as sometimes the use of good support seem to work really well and other times I can hear no difference
I guess where I notice most difference is using good isolation to support big transformers For instance my balanced mains unit uses feet of silence, not having them in place robs my system of detail tightness and musicality. Also using a base support under my two sub plate amps has a similar effect but not as huge. I use tube dampers on my power amp and this also has an effect too, all of this repeatable and even my none hifi friends will notice it.
Yet my Dac has no effect to supports I tried a number of different support RDC cones, Cardas blocks, base support and nothing.... so why the difference

Mike
25-07-2010, 19:30
I've found that good support DOES make a significant difference... but (usually) only with certain types of components, IME those with moving parts (TT's, tape & CD players) and anything with valves. I've never experienced any significant difference with solid state amplifiers though.

Just MHO. :)

Mike
25-07-2010, 19:31
Oh!... and loudspeakers, of course. ;)

John
25-07-2010, 21:44
But my Balanced mains does not have moving parts or my sub plates which are mosfet so this does not totally fit in my case

Snoopdog
26-07-2010, 09:01
But my Balanced mains does not have moving parts or my sub plates which are moset so this does not totally fit in my case

John

What your balanced mains will have are large transformers which will vibrate and the benefit of a decent support is to drain this vibration out of the chassis and stop it interfering with the mains cables that are attached to your unit, feeding that vibration to all of your other components. For example, I sit my Vertex balanced PSU on a Stillpoints component stand and my power amp also sits on one to drain the energy out of the chassis.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y76/crystalref/Elbrus3.jpg

John
26-07-2010, 16:30
Yep agree the larger the transformer the bigger seems to be the effect, hence on the balanced mains huge improvement and on copper dac none that I heard. So we seem to have three areas where isolation may help
Valves Turntables and Transformers any other thoughts?