PDA

View Full Version : Akai 4000DB in the dark

Guitarrero
25-11-2020, 13:31
I've just acquired my dad's old akai 4000DB which has been slumbering in its original box undisturbed for the last 30-ish years, and prior to that had extremely minimal use, and visually is in mint condition.
It's not all good though as it has been stored in a damp-ish environment and with the wooden case off peripheral areas of the chassis are showing corrosion, although the main gubbins inside seen pretty pristine.
After a quick check over/clean I fired her up and all 'seems' to be working ... not actually tried recording yet, waiting until reassembly.
I don't have any lights on the front panel though .... no VU meter lights, no record light, no Dolby light ... nowt! .... any ideas from you clever people out there? ... fuse maybe? ... i'm the first to admit I'm no good with this kind of elektrickery ;^(

Thanks, Steve

Barry
25-11-2020, 15:00
When you say "all 'seems' to be working", what exactly do you mean? Do the motors work when you select 'Play', 'Forward wind' or 'Rewind'?

If they do then it is unlikely to be the fuse. Is the fuse accessible from the outside? If it is then it easy to check.

VU meter lights often fail and can be replaced, though your machine is probably at least 40 years old so replacement bulbs might be hard to source.

Guitarrero
25-11-2020, 17:59
Thanks Barry,
It's not a main fuse as motor runs nicely, Play/FF/Rwd all working, but I thought there may be some internal small fuse protecting the panel lighting circuit maybe ??.... unless it is a coincidence that all panel lights have failed.
Cheers,
Steve

struth
25-11-2020, 18:05
think the bulbs are 8v.. tey do go, although its odd they have all gone. not sure where the 8v is generated so could be that.. tapeheads might be of use if none the our tape guys know

Guitarrero
25-11-2020, 18:11
think the bulbs are 8v.. although its odd they have all gone. not sure where the 8v is generated so could be that..
Thanks Grant, if it's 8v on that circuit that may narrow things down ... was going to try Tapeheads but thought i'd try here first :^)
Cheers!

Barry
26-11-2020, 00:39
I did a quick check on Google and the VU lamps for the Akai 4000D MkII are 6.3V 150mA. But I couldn't find a source for replacements.

Guitarrero
27-11-2020, 12:07
Thanks Barry:)

I did a quick check on Google and the VU lamps for the Akai 4000D MkII are 6.3V 150mA. But I couldn't find a source for replacements.