PDA

View Full Version : The ting tings?

The Vinyl Adventure
22-07-2010, 19:57
Does anyone else like this album?

http://noclon.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/the-ting-tings-we-started-nothing.jpg

Hannah says it's one of the biggest loads of shit she has ever heard and doesn't let me listen to it... Everyone i ever mention it to says i must have terrible music taste... If fact most people just pull a funny face and shake their head at me! Hannah is not here now, so I'm listening to it... And I bloody like it!

Is this a guilty pleasure of huge proportions or is there anyone else here who appreciates it like me?

aquapiranha
22-07-2010, 20:00
I have only heard the track that was somehow allowed to be played on the radio, and I have to agree with your wife I am afraid! But then, I like ABBA so my opinion doesn't count!!

everyone has taste, it is just different to everyone else's...

twelvebears
22-07-2010, 20:04

Hannah says it's one of the biggest loads of shit she has ever heard and doesn't let me listen to it... Everyone i ever mention it to says i must have terrible music taste... If fact most people just pull a funny face and shake their head at me! Hannah is not here now, so I'm listening to it... And I bloody like it!

Is this a guilty pleasure of huge proportions or is there anyone else here who appreciates it like me?

Actually I really like it and I have great taste in music so they're clearly all wrong.

Erm... 'doesn't let you listen to it?' good grief Hamish.... :doh:

The Vinyl Adventure
22-07-2010, 20:10
I'm right under the thumb mate! ... But she's hot, so what's one to do ;)

I think I have excellent taste in music... I must.. I like almost everything I hear!

DanJennings
22-07-2010, 20:13
oh dear oh dear

Spectral Morn
22-07-2010, 20:13
I like it too :eek::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Regards D S D L

The Vinyl Adventure
22-07-2010, 20:17
oh dear oh dear

Yeah! Your one of the people who looked at me disapprovingly and shook his head!
And you have the most eclectic music taste of anyone I know by a flipping mile... Shania Twain!

Joe
22-07-2010, 20:18
I've read good reviews of it, so someone must like it. What's it sound like?

The Vinyl Adventure
22-07-2010, 20:20
Pop music...
Whiney London accent female vocal, with catchy pop/dance tunes and a good beat... Lots of little noises and bits of guitar and the like going on... It's good!

twelvebears
22-07-2010, 20:21
Yeah! Your one of the people who looked at me disapprovingly and shook his head!
And you have the most eclectic music taste of anyone I know by a flipping mile... Shania Twain!

I'd be more asshamed to admit to having Shania in my player than the Ting Tings... ;)

Just listening to the track Traffic Light and think her voice reminds me of Harriet Wheeler from The Sundays (great band)

DanJennings
22-07-2010, 20:21
I've read good reviews of it, so someone must like it. What's it sound like?

Hell on a stick

or disco performed by children

Joe
22-07-2010, 20:22
Sort of like Lily Allen, or am I way off beam?

Joe
22-07-2010, 20:22
Hell on a stick

Get off the fence, Dan!

The Vinyl Adventure
22-07-2010, 20:23
More up beat... More fun

twelvebears
22-07-2010, 20:29
Hell on a stick

Oh come on, That's Not My Name and Be The One at the very least are bloody good pop songs.

Some people take music SOOO seriously! :lol:

The Vinyl Adventure
22-07-2010, 20:39
If you saw dans cd collection, you would see just how seriously he takes it.... Very seriously... He still likes shania twain though

Spectral Morn
22-07-2010, 20:40
Sort of like Lily Allen, or am I way off beam?

Much better. The ting tings have some talent, Lily on the other had imho is trading on her Dad's name and has none bar looking pretty.

Regards D S D L

Joe
22-07-2010, 20:42
Much better. The ting tings have some talent, Lily on the other had imho is trading on her Dad's name and has none bar looking pretty.

Regards D S D L

OK, I'll check 'em out on Spotify. Agree with you re Lily Allen.

The Vinyl Adventure
22-07-2010, 20:46
Yeah, Lilly Allen ... She's a "celeb" with a few songs... Boring ones at that... In fact I can't actually remember any Lilly Allen songs...

kininigin
22-07-2010, 21:02
im having second thoughts regarding your invitation to hear your system if that's the sort of thing you would play me :ner:

Then again maybe i should bring a preist along to perform an exorcism since you enjoy the devils music :mad:

What ever floats your boat hamish and sod anyone else that's what i say.

swampy
22-07-2010, 21:05
I was of the same view as the nay sayers before I saw them on Jools Holand and was impressed by their energy and playing. I guess no one should criticise any group or musician unless they can do better of course... but I think we are all guilty of disliking and criticising certain groups or music styles.

I am sure Lilly Allen is bothered about all the critics with a big wad of cash in the bank and her many fans ;)

The Vinyl Adventure
22-07-2010, 21:08
Yeah dam right!
Bring the priest il scare him off with my hell hounds (slightly gay whippets) ;)

The Vinyl Adventure
22-07-2010, 21:09
Gimma a kazoo and some spoons and il entertain you more than Lilly Allen does

Techno Commander
Nah. Not for me.

Although whats me name isnt too bad.

Or its excessively catchy. Grrrrr. :)

kininigin

not my sorta ting (couldn't resist)

kininigin
22-07-2010, 21:12
Yeah dam right!
Bring the priest il scare him off with my hell hounds (slightly gay whippets) ;)

:lolsign:

The Vinyl Adventure
22-07-2010, 21:13
not my sorta ting (couldn't resist)

It rings my bell (coz bells go 'ting' ... Get it... You got it ... Right....) :lol:

kininigin
22-07-2010, 21:23
i got it,but i don't want it.

I think it's getting late for you hamish :goodnight:

The Grand Wazoo
22-07-2010, 21:59
I thought it was a load of old poo from my bumping into various tracks on the radio and a few TV appearances.

But then I was in a room at the Manchester show earlier this year where it was playing on the new Systemdek turntable cos yer man Johnny who tinkers with tonearms had just bought a copy. It sounded great on that system - I think I said when I wrote about my visit on AoS that it was a great fun set up & it's interesting that Hamish uses that word so much on this thread. Maybe I ought to get a copy to confirm.

Alex_UK
22-07-2010, 22:03
I've got and I like it. But then I've also got Shania Twain.

Damn I feel like that's not my name. ;)

Barry
22-07-2010, 22:03
Yes it's fun music. I enjoyed seeing them on 'Later with Jools Holland', but don't feel any desperate need to own a copy.

Feel the same about The White Stripes.

The Vinyl Adventure
22-07-2010, 22:04
I thought it was a load of old poo from my bumping into various tracks on the radio and a few TV appearances.

But then I was in a room at the Manchester show earlier this year where it was playing on the new Systemdek turntable cos yer man Johnny who tinkers with tonearms had just bought a copy. It sounded great on that system - I think I said when I wrote about my visit on AoS that it was a great fun set up & it's interesting that Hamish uses that word so much on this thread. Maybe I ought to get a copy to confirm.

Yeah, it's def "fun" album, especially now I have system that can portray that funness

The Vinyl Adventure
22-07-2010, 22:07
Yeah, White stripes come to my mind to Barry, when I think of the ting tings ... Poss the 1 man 1 woman with the emphasis on beat thing...

I'm listening to mazzy star now... Practicaly the antithesis of ting tings

Alex_UK
22-07-2010, 22:16
Hmmm.. I wonder what Peely would have thought of the Ting Tings - he was a massive White Stripes fan, and helped break them over here. Personally I would put the White Stripes in a more "serious" pigeon-hole than the Ting Tings but I can see where you are coming from.

The Vinyl Adventure
22-07-2010, 22:27
Indeed, would be interesting to knw, he had good music taste like me... He would have liked em ;)

Alex_UK
22-07-2010, 22:38
I'm sure he would have done - I think I told this story before, but one night he played a record, and said words to the effect "that's a white label promo copy, with nothing written on it. I have absolutely no idea who it was, but I rather like it." I immediately recognised it - Round Round by The Sugababes and it had been number one about a month before!

The Vinyl Adventure
22-07-2010, 22:43
Ha, if dan perks back up again he will more than likely comment on our shares like for some of the sugar babes early stuff ... And the odd lyrical meanings that we chuckled over at length... ... Dan, dare to share? ;)

Batty
23-07-2010, 03:30
Not heard the album, wasn't too keen on what I heard on the radio, not a White Stripes fan either, in fact only heard of them earlier this year.

twelvebears
23-07-2010, 18:33

Regards D S D L

Sorry Neil, gonna have to accuse you of talking out of your arse there. Lily Allen writes some of the most intelligent lyrics around.

Unless of course you're implying that the Ivor Novello awards are also a pile of crap?

Barry
23-07-2010, 19:32
Sorry Neil, gonna have to accuse you of talking out of your arse there. Lily Allen writes some of the most intelligent lyrics around.

Unless of course you're implying that the Ivor Novello awards are also a pile of crap?

+1

Well said Steve.