PDA

View Full Version : NETFLIX

Marco
05-11-2020, 14:34
With the dark nights here and movies on ma mind, I've decided to join the 'flix... So for the diehards/experienced campaigners here, who've been using it for years, what's best about it - and what are the top/most worth watching Netflix-only movies and shows?:cool:

Excite me!:D

Marco.

struth
05-11-2020, 15:08
just started watching a film on netflix... bourne supremacy

Marco
05-11-2020, 15:13
Nice one. Gonna watch The irishman tonight!:cool:

Marco.

struth
05-11-2020, 15:26

Marco.

found it a bit long and boring tbh; i must try again tho.. might just have been my mood

Marco
05-11-2020, 15:47
I see... I'll let you know what I think when I've watched it later:)

Marco.

Dave W
05-11-2020, 16:30
Star Trek Discovery and Bly Manor are good series.
Have watched Travellers, Shooter, After Life - which is brilliant, Brooklyn 99

brian2957
05-11-2020, 16:33
Lost In Space also very good .

rmcin626
05-11-2020, 16:53
THe Fall , is a good box set if you’ve not seen it, as you’re a bit of a foodie Chef is a great watch as is the movie of the same name, although not sure if the movie is Netflix just now but season 1 and 2 of the series are.

DarrenHW
05-11-2020, 17:40
Some of my favourites:

Stranger Things - 80's throw back Sci-Fi.
Lost In Space - Reboot.
Another Life - Sci-Fi.
Gotham - Batman origin stories.
From Dusk Till Dawn - Spin off from the film.
Big Mouth - The family unfriendly animated series you saw an episode of here.
Trailer Park Boys - Cult Canadian comedy, stupid slap stick humour, you'll love it or hate it (start from Season 3, go back if you like it).

User211
05-11-2020, 18:58
I see... I'll let you know what I think when I've watched it later:)

Marco.I agree with the Grantster.

It's worth watching but it ain't great:(

Macca
05-11-2020, 19:42
Some of my favourites:

Stranger Things - 80's throw back Sci-Fi.
Lost In Space - Reboot.
Another Life - Sci-Fi.
Gotham - Batman origin stories.
From Dusk Till Dawn - Spin off from the film.
Big Mouth - The family unfriendly animated series you saw an episode of here.
Trailer Park Boys - Cult Canadian comedy, stupid slap stick humour, you'll love it or hate it (start from Season 3, go back if you like it).

'Trailer Park Boys' is outstanding. Really funny. I think you'd like that Marco.

mightymonoped
05-11-2020, 19:47
Better Call Saul
Stranger Things
Ozark
The Last Kingdom
The Good Place
Norsemen
Mindhunter (Series one is best)
Deadpool
Schitt’s Creek
Santa Clarita Diet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marco
05-11-2020, 19:51
Wow - some great reccos, guys... Keep 'em coming!:cool:

Trailer Park Boys sound rather insane and 'twisted' - and potentially right up my street:eyebrows:

Marco.

Ali Tait
05-11-2020, 20:14
Really enjoyed The Queen's Gambit, and it does no harm that Anya Taylor Joy is fooking gorgeous as well as a great actress.

Pigmy Pony
05-11-2020, 20:46
found it a bit long and boring tbh; i must try again tho.. might just have been my mood

Yeah, we started watching it, and at some point I thought "This film's a bit on the long side" Turned out we were only half way through! So abandoned it.

Pigmy Pony
05-11-2020, 20:50
Star Trek Discovery and Bly Manor are good series.
Have watched Travellers, Shooter, After Life - which is brilliant, Brooklyn 99

+1 for "Haunting of Bly Manor". I recommend this one Marco, I know you like a good horror (why you have so many mirrors at home) :ner: You'll find it satisfyingly creepy. :)

Pigmy Pony
05-11-2020, 20:57
Harlan Cobem's "The Stranger". May have been on regular telly.

Or "Designated Survivor". Taught me quite a bit about how American politics works. And Kieffer Sutherland's assistant Emily is reeaally pretty :)

Marco
07-11-2020, 12:56
Thanks a lot, guys, for your reccos - I intend on checking out most of them!:)

Watched The Irishman last night - and LOVED it! Yes, it was about an hour too long [even half an hour less would've helped], but I was still pretty much glued to it throughout.

I can see why it's won awards, as the acting was superb... I guess what else would you expect with such a steller cast(?) and that's probably what helped hold my interest; that and I LOVE anything that depicts life in America during the golden eras of the 50s/60s and 70s [all the gorgeous cars and cool diners, etc] - plus anything to do with gangsters, and all the different 'vignettes' there were depicting that.

So... It's a 8.5 out of 10, for me. Had it been condensed instead into a 2hr, or so, film, then it would've been a 9.5!:cool:

Marco.

Macca
07-11-2020, 13:12
Not seen that yet. Got the DVD on pre-order but it isn't released until Nov 30th.

Marco
07-11-2020, 13:16
DVD, lol... What are those?;)

Surprised it wasn't VHS tape, haha! You need to treat yourself to a Bluray player, or if you've already got one, buy Bluray discs. DVDs as old hat. muchacho.

Marco.

User211
07-11-2020, 13:18
Really enjoyed The Queen's Gambit, and it does no harm that Anya Taylor Joy is fooking gorgeous as well as a great actress.Agreed it was great. Needed more episodes.

Her alcoholic Mum wasn't too bad, either;)

Ali Tait
07-11-2020, 13:26
:D

Macca
07-11-2020, 13:32
DVD, lol... What are those?;)

Surprised it wasn't VHS tape, haha! You need to treat yourself to a Bluray player, or if you've already got one, buy Bluray discs. DVDs as old hat. muchacho.

Marco.

I've got 2 blu-ray players lol. I don't find the improvements with blu ray to be worth the extra moolah, DVD more than good enough. Video quality is not a hobby for me like audio quality is, so adequate is fine.

Marco
07-11-2020, 13:49
Fair enough - 'adequate' is never enough for me, with ANYTHING:D I don't 'do' adequate, dude... Simply NOT in my vocab!

Have you revisited it though, since you got your new telly? Is that 4k? If so, you'd need to be blind not to see the difference with HDR discs...

Marco.

Macca
07-11-2020, 14:04
Fair enough - 'adequate' is never enough for me, with ANYTHING!:D I don't 'do' adequate, dude... It's not in my vocab.

Have you revisited it though, since you got your new telly? Is that 4k? If so, you'd need to be blind not to see the difference with HDR discs...

Marco.

No, I do see the improvement, just not bothered enough to care. I was happy with VHS and I still have a working player and a lot of tapes. When DVD and digital surround sound came out I was straight on it but just never got heavily into it like with audio but I did work out the things that actually matter to me:

Big screen
Good contrast ratio
Clear dialogue
No clipping (Which is why I don't use an A/V amp, even the big ones clip too easy IME).

Which boxes I've all got ticked. Although I should have got the 65 inch instead of a 55. I chickened out.

struth
07-11-2020, 14:09
big difference from dvd to bluray on good gear and film.. the 4k to bluray is much shadier imo unless you have a big set or sit really close. 4k down mixed to hd is preety much same on most house gear. just my opinion

Marco
07-11-2020, 14:47
No, I do see the improvement, just not bothered enough to care. I was happy with VHS and I still have a working player and a lot of tapes. When DVD and digital surround sound came out I was straight on it but just never got heavily into it like with audio but I did work out the things that actually matter to me:

Big screen
Good contrast ratio
Clear dialogue
No clipping (Which is why I don't use an A/V amp, even the big ones clip too easy IME).

Which boxes I've all got ticked. Although I should have got the 65 inch instead of a 55. I chickened out.

Fair enough; I'm quite different in that respect, as I like to create a 'snap shot' of the Odeon in my living room, but done well, minus the din of unwashed chavs munching on popcorn!:D

Therefore, every aspect of the experience, from the lifelike clarity of the picture, to the 'shock factor' of the sound, when reproducing gunfire and/or special effects, has to feel 'real' - and with explosions I *MUST* feel the crunch of bombs going off and the room shaking a little, to successfully achieve that effect. All of which I've successfully managed to do, with NO audible clipping!;)

The only things I'll be changing with my home-cinema system is when this TV 'goes pop' (as it will NOT be replaced before then, simply to follow fashion), I'll go for a bigger screen (OLED), and move from 48" to probably 55". No bigger than that though, as unlike you, I'm not 'impressed' or excited by huge, ugly, flat-screen TVs, especially when they're not being used!

Then I want to change my AV amp for a Denon Dolby ATMOS one, and possibly fit some ceiling speakers, to facilitate that, then upgrade my rears to Celestion Ditton 11s - and that'll be me DONE, for years:cool:

Marco.

Macca
07-11-2020, 15:05
Picture size always my number one criteria :D - that's the main thing about the cinema for me, the big screen. The rest is secondary.

Anyway have you started watching any 'Trailer Park Boys' yet? There's a film too although IIRC it is set after the events of the series so you might want to watch it all in the right order.

Marco
07-11-2020, 18:06
Not yet, but it's *totally* on my 'To Do' list, so it'll happen sometime over the weekend:)

I intend to go through the list of reccos and try them one by one, but had a few of my own to sort out first. Gonna watch Ghosts of War tonight, as that seems right up my street:cool:

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/xq90/922/1L0yh1.jpg

Summary:

"Five battle-hardened American soldiers assigned to hold a French Chateau near the end of World War II. However, they encounter a supernatural enemy far more terrifying than anything seen on the battlefield."

Marco.

fatmarley
07-11-2020, 19:14
Life on Mars is an old but good series.
Stranger Things is excellent.
Deadpool.
Ash vs Evil Dead - Lacks a bit of something to start with but gets better and better IMO.
Enjoyed the 1st Season of American Horror Story.
Mindhunter.
After Life.

Edit:
Forgot Cobra Kai
I also enjoyed watching Rick and Morty with my son. He laughs his head off.

Marco
07-11-2020, 21:54
+1 for "Haunting of Bly Manor". I recommend this one Marco, I know you like a good horror (why you have so many mirrors at home) :ner: You'll find it satisfyingly creepy. :)

Watching it now!

Just one thing... Does anyone else notice that the sound levels on Netflix are rather low, compared with, say normal TV? I find I've got to turn the sound up considerably, in order to get the realism and 'presence' I seek from the content - then when switching back to normal TV, I get blasted!:eek:

That's not right - whoever's in charge of the techy stuff at Netflix needs to ramp up the levels a bit, so they're in line with other stuff! That doesn't apply to, say, the output on Sky, which is fine.

Marco.

Marco
07-11-2020, 22:55
Anyway have you started watching any 'Trailer Park Boys' yet? There's a film too although IIRC it is set after the events of the series so you might want to watch it all in the right order.

Caught a couple of them earlier, and yes funny as fuck!:D

Marco.

Jac Hawk
08-11-2020, 00:29
The Queens Gambit is worth a watch

Macca
08-11-2020, 08:29
Watching it now!

Just one thing... Does anyone else notice that the sound levels on Netflix are rather low, compared with, say normal TV? I find I've got to turn the sound up considerably, in order to get the realism and 'presence' I seek from the content - then when switching back to normal TV, I get blasted!:eek:

That's not right - whoever's in charge of the techy stuff at Netflix needs to ramp up the levels a bit, so they're in line with other stuff! That doesn't apply to, say, the output on Sky, which is fine.

Marco.

Higher dynamic range, it's a good thing really. You just have to remember to lower the volume before switching to a channel that's more compressed. In some cases it isn't the level the channel broadcasts at, it's how the sound was recorded. I often find I have to crank up the volume with a film but when the advert break kicks in the sound blasts me.

Marco
08-11-2020, 10:41
Higher dynamic range, it's a good thing really...

Is that actually true though, or simply that the levels are just MUCH lower than normal - and by 'normal' I mean compared to the likes of Sky or Virgin movies, not bog-standard TV.

Do they quote any measurements to back up your theory? For me, it doesn't seem that way, and ideally the levels should be tweaked a bit.

Plus, as I use a centre speaker (and fronts) in my home-cinema set up, I'm finding that the sound balance is different from normal, with less coming through the fronts and much more through the centre, especially with programmes or movies not recorded in 5.1 surround sound.

It's fine, but something I'm going to have to get used to, and interesting that Nefflix has chosen this different approach.

Marco.

DarrenHW
08-11-2020, 10:46
Higher dynamic range, it's a good thing really. You just have to remember to lower the volume before switching to a channel that's more compressed. In some cases it isn't the level the channel broadcasts at, it's how the sound was recorded. I often find I have to crank up the volume with a film but when the advert break kicks in the sound blasts me.

+1. I agree with everything bar the last sentence, one of the biggest advantages to streaming is little to no adverts.

Marco, what device are you streaming on / which Netflixs package do you have?

struth
08-11-2020, 10:50
I think netflix default is 5.1 audio so if your not using 5.1 then it can affect output... but i agree it is a bit quieter, as are nature blurays like Attenborough.. they always seem to start quiet and build up then as they switch to next scene, it stars low again. not sure what goes on there. might be some hardware sound protection.. or it again might be the 5.1 kicking in.. i guess you could try setting audio to 2 channel and see if it changes

Marco
08-11-2020, 11:07
Marco, what device are you streaming on / which Netflixs package do you have?

Dunno, mate. How would I check that? Friends of ours added us to their 'list', or something, and we gave them something for the trouble, so we log-in via their account.

Do you know what I mean about the sound, though? This was most noticeable with The Irishman, as 90% of the sound was coming through the centre speaker, and only the occasional 'sound effect' through the fronts.

In that respect, it was a bit like listening to an old movie in mono. Plus the levels for that film were particularly low. Probably had to add a good '10/12' onto the number (amp level) I normally play movies at with Sky or Virgin.

Do you find the same?

Marco.

Macca
08-11-2020, 11:29
Is that actually true though, or simply that the levels are just MUCH lower than normal - and by 'normal' I mean compared to the likes of Sky or Virgin movies, not bog-standard TV.

Do they quote any measurements to back up your theory? For me, it doesn't seem that way, and ideally the levels should be tweaked a bit.

Plus, as I use a centre speaker (and fronts) in my home-cinema set up, I'm finding that the sound balance is different from normal, with less coming through the fronts and much more through the centre, especially with programmes or movies not recorded in 5.1 surround sound.

It's fine, but something I'm going to have to get used to, and interesting that Nefflix has chosen this different approach.

Marco.

That's why I gave up on using centre speakers. Phantom centre is superior IMO.

No idea about the Netflix sound transmission. But if you think about it, when they record a film soundtrack they don't use much compression, but for an advert or regular TV show they will as they are not going to be shown in a cinema with its super-fancy sound system, it has to be mixed and mastered so Doreen with her old mono speaker CRT TV can hear it with no problem.

Marco
08-11-2020, 11:40
That's why I gave up on using centre speakers. Phantom centre is superior IMO.

Not for me, up until now, lol! It's super-duper when playing Blurays or Sky/Virgin movies - no comparison really, as I have it all really well set up:)

No idea about the Netflix sound transmission. But if you think about it, when they record a film soundtrack they don't use much compression, but for an advert or regular TV show they will as they are not going to be shown in a cinema with its super-fancy sound system, it has to be mixed and mastered so Doreen with her old mono speaker CRT TV can hear it with no problem.

Yes, and I think that might be the problem, so the output has been mixed with that in mind. Surprised though that no-one else here using Netflix, with proper home-cinema setups has commented on the issue?:hmm:

Marco.

DarrenHW
08-11-2020, 11:55
Dunno, mate. How would I check that? Friends of ours added us to their 'list', or something, and we gave them something for the trouble, so we log-in via their account.

Can you stream films in 4K?

Do you know what I mean about the sound, though? This was most noticeable with The Irishman, as 90% of the sound was coming through the centre speaker, and only the occasional 'sound effect' through the fronts.

In that respect, it was a bit like listening to an old movie in mono. Plus the levels for that film were particularly low. Probably had to add a good '10/12' onto the number (amp level) I normally play movies at with Sky or Virgin.

Do you find the same?

Marco.

Not really, I'm pretty impressed by the SQ from Netflix. I've just put the Irishman on for 10 minutes, I would say dialogue is quite prominent but not at the detriment of the rest of the mix, being the type of film it is I imagine there's quite a lot of hushed dialogue, so maybe this was intentional. In terms of the sound level, it's about what I expect from Netflix. If I'm watching something on Now TV, RedBull or Prime, I'm at ~50 on the volume, Netflix and some Prime Films ~60, Blu Ray ~70, turned up to 60 the presentation was just right for me.

Are you streaming from the Panny?

Macca
08-11-2020, 11:57
Not for me, up until now, lol! It's super-duper when playing Blurays or Sky/Virgin movies - no comparison really, as I have it all really well set up:)

Yes, and I think that might be the problem, so the output has been mixed with that in mind. Surprised though that no-one else here using Netflix, with proper home-cinema setups has commented on the issue?:hmm:

Marco.

I found that the centre still did too much work with DVDs. There is much debate about it in H/T circles, I'm not alone in my preference for no centre speaker.

Macca
08-11-2020, 12:00

Marco.

I found that the centre still did too much work with DVDs. There is much debate about it in H/T circles, I'm not alone in my preference for no centre speaker.

Check this out re Netflix sound https://technical-tips.com/blog/internet/netflix-too-quiet--it-17393

Marco
08-11-2020, 12:01
Can you stream films in 4K?

Roger on that:)

Not really, I'm pretty impressed by the SQ from Netflix. I've just put the Irishman on for 10 minutes, I would say dialogue is quite prominent but not at the detriment of the rest of the mix, being the type of film it is I imagine there's quite a lot of hushed dialogue, so maybe this was intentional. In terms of the sound level, it's about what I expect from Netflix. If I'm watching something on Now TV, RedBull or Prime, I'm at ~50 on the volume, Netflix and some Prime Films ~60, Blu Ray ~70, turned up to 60 the presentation was just right for me.

When The Irishman was on, how much of the sound was coming through the centre speaker alone, and at what level?

I normally listen to movies at around 35/36 on my volume control, and with The Irishman I was up to 48 to achieve the same level. But pretty much the whole film was coming through the centre speaker, even stuff you'd normally expect through the fronts.

Are you streaming from the Panny?

Yes, using the dedicated Netfilx button. It's not that the sound is bad - it sounds fine when cranked up, if mixed a little differently from what I'm used to.

Marco.

Marco
08-11-2020, 12:05

Check this out re Netflix sound https://technical-tips.com/blog/internet/netflix-too-quiet--it-17393

Cheers, I'll check that out later. Maybe I just need to increase the settings? Although I haven't seen those controls before - probably haven't looked hard enough!:)

Marco.

Macca
08-11-2020, 12:06
Cheers, I'll check that out later. Maybe I just need to increase the settings? Although I haven't seen those controls before - probably haven't looked hard enough!:)

Marco.

I think that is the solution - if you search 'Netflix too quiet' there are lots of results come up so it isn't just you.

Marco
08-11-2020, 12:09
Indeed, but what surprises me is that someone as fussy and particular as Dazza [read as discerning, lol] hasn't noticed the issue, that is unless he sorted it as soon as he heard it was too quiet?

Yo Dazza, spill da beans... Did you have to tweak the levels from standard?:D

Marco.

DarrenHW
08-11-2020, 12:12
Roger on that:)

That's all that matters.

When The Irishman was on, how much of the sound was coming through the centre speaker alone, and at what level?

What Centre??:)

I normally listen to movies at around 35/36 on my volume control, and with The Irishman I was up to 48 to achieve the same level. But pretty much the whole film was coming through the centre speaker, even stuff you'd normally expect through the fronts.

Yes, using the dedicated Netfilx button. It's not that the sound is bad - it sounds fine when cranked up, if mixed a little differently from what I'm used to.

Marco.

Is that for Blu Rays?

DarrenHW
08-11-2020, 12:13

Marco.

You won't find those settings, that's for setting up a PC.

Marco
08-11-2020, 12:17
Ah right - Macca, you should've checked, daftee!:doh:

So how have all those folks out there complaining of a 'too quiet Netflix' managed to sort it?:hmm:

Marco.

Marco
08-11-2020, 12:18
That's all that matters.

What Centre??:)

Is that for Blu Rays?

Pretty much anything, but BRs a bit less.

Marco.

Macca
08-11-2020, 12:20
Ah right - Macca, you should've checked, daftee!:doh:

So how have all those folks out there complaining of a 'too quiet Netflix' managed to sort it?:hmm:

Marco.

I just searched to see if anyone else was complaining and they are. You'll have search yourself and read up. :ner:

DarrenHW
08-11-2020, 12:25
Indeed, but what surprises me is that someone as fussy and particular as Dazza [read as discerning, lol] hasn't noticed the issue, that is unless he sorted it as soon as he heard it was too quiet?

Yo Dazza, spill da beans... Did you have to tweak the levels from standard?:D

Marco.

No, there isn't a huge amount you can tweak.

I have no complaint with it though, as Macca said before it's only quiet in relation to content with more compression. I wish there was less compression, however this is not the direction Netflix is heading and so for me remains a try before you buy service and not a platform for serious viewing.

struth
08-11-2020, 12:27
on tv speakers its same volume as other stuff, so i presume its to do with the surround sound settings etc.

DarrenHW
08-11-2020, 12:28
Pretty much anything, but BRs a bit less.

Marco.

Are you saying your standard volume level for BD's is lower than Netflix?

Marco
08-11-2020, 12:43
Nope... Here's the order of 'loudness', chez moi (from loud to quiet):

1) Normal TV

2) Hard discs of films of any description.

3) Sky or Virgin Movies, via the V6 box.

4) Netflix (quieter by a BIG margin).

Marco.

DarrenHW
08-11-2020, 12:55
I see, my experience is quite different.

From loud to quiet:

1. Now TV/RedBull/BBC iplayer/Amazon Prime - Volume set to ~50.

2. Netflix/Some Amazon Prime Films - Volume set to ~60.

3. BD - Volume set to ~70.

Marco
08-11-2020, 13:01
Interesting:)

So are there any ways of increasing the output levels on Netflix, via screen icons or whatever, and if not, how are all these folks online, complaining of 'too quiet Netflix', resolving the issue?:hmm:

They must be doing/have done something....

Marco.

Marco
08-11-2020, 13:17
Your numerical volume control must work differently from mine, as 70 would be blowing the roof off! I've never had it any louder than the 48 I had it on for Netflix, but when playing music it's different.

Marco.

Marco
09-11-2020, 12:33
Ok, I've solved the volume issue, via rather unusual means... For some reason, if I access Netflix via my Virgin V6 box, on Channel 204, there is an option on the audio settings for BOTH 5.1 and stereo, which doesn't appear if I access it via the Netflix button on the remote control for the Panny...:scratch:

And, moving from 5.1 to the stereo setting (when watching non-5.1 material) increases the volume and gives an overall more balanced sound. Therefore, only when I'm watching 5.1 material will I be using that setting.

Has anyone else found this - in that they have access to BOTH of those sound settings (stereo and 5.1) when using Netflix, and therefore can hear the difference between the two? For me, it's *crucial* in order to reproduce the programme material correctly.

Also, is there any way of determining what material has been produced in 5.1 - is there a button you can press to tell you such or whatever? So that you know when to activate the 5.1 sound setting to get the proper surround sound effect.

Marco.

struth
09-11-2020, 12:37
told ya it was the 5.1 :eyebrows:

Marco
09-11-2020, 13:26
Lol yeah, I thought so myself, but the problem was until now there was no way I could see of resolving it!

Seems bizarre (and rather lazy) though that a) Netflix automatically defaults to outputting in 5.1, regardless of progamme material, and even more bizarre, that only when accessing Netflix, via my Virgin V6 box, do I get the option to change the audio output from 5.1 to stereo:hmm:

Any comments on that? I'm rather surprised actually that no-one here using Netflix, through a home-cinema system, has commented about the 5.1/stereo sound output option, and how crucially that impacts on the accurate reproduction of the relevant programme material.

Marco.

struth
09-11-2020, 13:34
i usually use it via the amazon stick. dont use any amps for it tho. happy enough with tv sound for me

Marco
09-11-2020, 13:40
Yeah if you're just using it on TV sound, it'll make hee-haw difference. I'm just very fussy about these things and notice everything, through a rather revealing setup!:)

Marco.

Filterlab
09-11-2020, 17:03

Marco.

I watched that some weeks back, it's absolutely fantastic! Superb cast, great story, lovely to see the familiar (slightly older) faces together in a Scorcese picture.

If you like Goodfellas / Heat / etc etc, you'll love this.

___

I watch in stereo only so all the 5.1 crud doesn't apply to me. Perfectly good in stereo. I find the gain to be programme dependent to be honest, but I've had absolutely no issues with Netflix at all. Amazon Prime very occasionally has lip sync issues, but hardly ever these days.

DarrenHW
09-11-2020, 17:35
Lol yeah, I thought so myself, but the problem was until now there was no way I could see of resolving it!

Seems bizarre (and rather lazy) though that a) Netflix automatically defaults to outputting in 5.1, regardless of progamme material, and even more bizarre, that only when accessing Netflix, via my Virgin V6 box, do I get the option to change the audio output from 5.1 to stereo:hmm:

Any comments on that? I'm rather surprised actually that no-one here using Netflix, through a home-cinema system, has commented about the 5.1/stereo sound output option, and how crucially that impacts on the accurate reproduction of the relevant programme material.

Marco.

It doesn't for me, stereo = 2 channel, 5.1 = multichannel. Either way it doesn't answer the question of why you were having issues with "The Ireshman" as it's in 5.1 :scratch:

Sounds like you've got a ghost in the machine, could be your receiver tit arsing about again, maybe the Panny had an update and reset something (although mine works fine) or maybe it's something else. Whatever it is, that's not the way Netflix works for me.

Marco
09-11-2020, 17:43
I watched that some weeks back, it's absolutely fantastic! Superb cast, great story, lovely to see the familiar (slightly older) faces together in a Scorcese picture.

If you like Goodfellas / Heat / etc etc, you'll love this.

Yup, Rob. I'd agree with all of that, especially the last sentence, as it has a similar overall feel. My only criticism is it's overly long. I think with a little less 'padding out' of some of the scenes, they could've trimmed off a good 30/45 mins, and made the film feel a little slicker:)

It's a big ask for most folks these days to take over 3 hours out of their spare time to watch a film.

Marco.

Marco
09-11-2020, 17:56
It doesn't for me, stereo = 2 channel, 5.1 = multichannel. Either way it doesn't answer the question of why you were having issues with "The Ireshman" as it's in 5.1 :scratch:

Ok matey., firstly are you getting the option on the Audio settings to choose between 'English [Original]' and 'English [Original] (5.1)'? If so, for me, non-5.1 material sounds considerably better balanced, and louder (optimally so), on the former setting.

The issue I had with The Irishman was the low-level of the overall sound and the fact that most it, for the duration of the film, was coming through just the centre speaker. It was the first thing I'd watched on Netflix, and in comparison with what I'm used to from Sky or Virgin Movies, I found the presentation rather odd.

Now, I think most of that was simply down to how that particular film has been produced, but also for me there's no doubt that the overall sound output on Netflix is markedly lower that that of Sky or Virgin movies, and for my tastes fine, but suboptimal.

However... For some reason the results I'm getting with Netflix are better via my Virgin V6 box, than through the Panny.

That's not much in it, but the sound seems to have more substance with the former, as well as giving me the audio choices I've outlined, in respect of English Original or English Original 5.1. Through the Panny, for whatever reason, Netflix only gives me the latter, which somewhat hobbles the sound of non-5.1 material.

Anyway, it's not an issue now, but interesting to find all the same. I'll let you hear what I mean when you next come round. Any idea when that'll be mate, as I'd like to sort out the caps in the Celestions? Curry and beers on me!:cool:

Marco.

DarrenHW
09-11-2020, 18:06
I can't check now, I'm in the middle of something, but I'll have a look and report back.

I should be able to pop in on my way home from work (probably Wednesday or Thursday), no time for Curry I'm afraid, but enough time to open up the Celestions and establish what's in them so you can order if need be. I'll call you later in the week.

Marco
09-11-2020, 19:31
No worries, you can let me know about both:)

I think I'll also get some new binding posts for the Celestions, as it's a bit of a nightmare either fitting (heavy gauge) bare wire or spades, as the existing ones are just too small to comfortably take either.

Marco.