PDA

View Full Version : Dirt Cheap Cartridge

shane
21-07-2010, 18:54
I have a friend who has a Thorens TD150-Helius Scorpio-A&R C77 / Quad 33-303 / Quad ELS57 system which has lain dormant for many years. Finding himself newly single, he wishes to revive it but the stylus is a) broken and b) no longer available.

What would the panel recommend in the way of a dirt cheap (and I mean dirt cheap!) replacement cartridge?

chris@panteg
21-07-2010, 18:59
AT95e would be my choice , but how cheap ?

Marco
21-07-2010, 19:18
Hi Shane,

I would recommend the Audio Technica AT95e: http://www.soundhifi.com/AT95e.html

Or the Nagaoka MP-100 (I note, however, that Musonic are currently out of stock):

http://www.musonic.co.uk/mp100-cartridge-p-31.html

Also, if you can find a Pickering XV-15 second-hand on Ebay at a good price, that would be an excellent buy, as new styli are readily available. The XV-15 is quite excellent and would likely outperform all else in the MM arena (and budget MCs) at up to £200.

Marco.

DSJR
21-07-2010, 19:18
The 95E is the cheapo cartridge of choice and can be a giant killer in the right deck and arm if the catridge sample is a good one. There's someone in the US marketing a Shibata tipped version as I understand it and, lets face it, the basic generator/coil system did Linn loads of favours in the 80's and 90's :)

Under a ton gets a bit more interesting. Rega do some cuddly cheapies with good styli on, the AT120E (could be best price from SoundHiFi if you ask nicely) is a more refined step up from the 95E and the Stanton 681EEE mk3 may still be available for under £100. I think the ubiquitous Denon 110 may be over £100 now but you never know ;)

P.S. Regarding Marco's post above, it depends on which Pickering he means. If it's the 625 version then yes, go for one. Stanton and Pickering share the same bodies and a XV15/625 is roughly equivalent to a Stanton 680EE I think and this latter was an "un-calibrated" 681EEE as I recall (soooooo long ago). The 681 has come into its own with todays tonearms.

P.P.S. The Quad 33 would hugely benefit in my opinion with a Dada upgrade kit. It transforms the thing into a charming *modern-resolution* product. The 303 also may need fettling now, despite not being used. You know, with all the updates, that system really will equal or beat most "HiFi" systems out there very easily. Original Thorens belts are readily available again. PLEASE don't get a "pattern" belt - the real thing has "Thorens" printed on the outside face

Marco
21-07-2010, 19:53
P.S. Regarding Marco's post above, it depends on which Pickering he means. If it's the 625 version then yes, go for one.

Yes, the 625 version shown here, Dave: http://www.pickeringuk.com/

One of those would blow anything else away that's been recommeded so far - in fact, it's in a totally different league. There are even 'fancy' line contact styli available now, which apparently transform them into veritable gaint-killers: http://www.pickeringuk.com/hifi.html :eek:

If Shane's friend can find a used one on Ebay, or somewhere, at the right price then it would represent an excellent investment for the future.

Marco.

Alex_UK
21-07-2010, 20:05
My 20 odd year old AT95e is still going strong in my Garrard, as I was where your friend is (cash-strapped) as a teenager, and this was the best going then. I reckon they're probably cheaper now than when I bought mine!

At least if it is new, you know the history. No experience of the Pickering though, so bow to superior knowledge there. I know the MP100 would likely be better, but it is nearly double the price and it depends how cash-strapped your mate is.

flatpopely
21-07-2010, 22:53
Another big up for the AT95e. I thought it better than a Goldring 1042. It's still doing sterling service in my dads AR Legend/Basik Plus combo.

Gdg
22-07-2010, 07:48
I have a AT 95E, too. And yes, it is the best entry level cartridge I heard, so far, on my SL 1200.

Beobloke
22-07-2010, 07:49
Yet another AT-95E vote here, although if you can find a NOS or good secondhand AT-110E, this is an even bigger giant killer for only about £10 more.

shane
22-07-2010, 13:10
Thanks all. Looks like the AT-95E is the winner!

Barry
22-07-2010, 14:06
I have a friend who has a Thorens TD150-Helius Scorpio-A&R C77 / Quad 33-303 / Quad ELS57 system which has lain dormant for many years. Finding himself newly single, he wishes to revive it but the stylus is a) broken and b) no longer available.

What would the panel recommend in the way of a dirt cheap (and I mean dirt cheap!) replacement cartridge?

Shocking! :eek: Seriously though - I'm with Marco here, the Nagaoka should be OK, though I don't have any personal experience of it.

A cheap cartridge that 'punches well above its weight', that I have listened to in my Quad system is the Grado FTE+1. Don't know if it is still available.